U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 8,592,602 times

Advertisements

OK we get the point, we have read enough of this fighting. Let's get back to the original topic about if people are friendly in Madison...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM

11,972 posts, read 26,868,797 times
As a former Madisonian who has lived elsewhere, I'll sum up my thoughts about the overall level of friendliness in Madison:

Are there holier-than-thou liberal know-it-alls in abundance in Madison? Sure. Heck, I was once one of them *ahem* and count many others as my friends and family. But most of the people living in the city are just normal people. Madison doesn't have a lot of the heavy midwestern quirks you find elsewhere in Wisconsin like an obsession with hunting deer and madatory fish fry attendance, but it is still a midwestern city at heart--and this means people are generally a little more friendly than you would find in a faster-paced city like New York. Now, I am not one who likes generalizations about New Yorkers, Parisians, etc., but I do think there is a healthy dose of self-examination that goes on in the midwest that prevents people from becoming too full of themselves. But every place has its share of ***holes. It's just human nature. And universities tend to attract a certain breed of them.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,432,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
As a former Madisonian who has lived elsewhere, I'll sum up my thoughts about the overall level of friendliness in Madison:

Are there holier-than-thou liberal know-it-alls in abundance in Madison? Sure. Heck, I was once one of them *ahem* and count many others as my friends and family. But most of the people living in the city are just normal people. Madison doesn't have a lot of the heavy midwestern quirks you find elsewhere in Wisconsin like an obsession with hunting deer and madatory fish fry attendance, but it is still a midwestern city at heart--and this means people are generally a little more friendly than you would find in a faster-paced city like New York. Now, I am not one who likes generalizations about New Yorkers, Parisians, etc., but I do think there is a healthy dose of self-examination that goes on in the midwest that prevents people from becoming too full of themselves. But every place has its share of ***holes. It's just human nature. And universities tend to attract a certain breed of them.

There are a LOT of deer hunters in Madison including more profs than you would think.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:22 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,566,833 times
We have two nasty trolls from Madison who keep coming to our section of the forum, and putting us and our city down. They are definitely not friendly. I sincerely hope they do not represent how most people in Madison are.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:31 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,705,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
We have two nasty trolls from Madison who keep coming to our section of the forum, and putting us and our city down. They are definitely not friendly. I sincerely hope they do not represent how most people in Madison are.
I'm sorry to hear that...it wasn't me. I got married in Vegas once...was a 5/6 hour drive from where I resided. I know Vegas has its problems but the location alone, on the map, gets my

Old 10-25-2009, 07:20 PM

365 posts, read 1,059,458 times
I'd say the majority of people in Madison are friendly, but in a standoffish sort of way! :-)

Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 331 times
I have a query regarding the city of Milwaukee. My boyfriend is moving to Milwaukee for attaining his PhD. but I'm a bit nervous about how would the people of that city gonna be like. As he is an international student so I need to know how they are treated like. I mean if there is racism? I'm highly tensed for that.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,716,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toraalam View Post
I have a query regarding the city of Milwaukee. My boyfriend is moving to Milwaukee for attaining his PhD. but I'm a bit nervous about how would the people of that city gonna be like. As he is an international student so I need to know how they are treated like. I mean if there is racism? I'm highly tensed for that.

You might try posting in the Milwaukee forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or