Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:21 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I second that Let us know how it goes.
gold*dust, thank you. Will do. Gonna give it my all. Thanks for being so supportive and getting that I am not a welfare moocher. lol. Bless you.

Last edited by Nala8; 10-08-2009 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Freakin' typos... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
gold*dust, thank you. Will do. Gonna give it my all. Thanks for being so supportive and getting that I am not welfare moocher. lol. Bless you.
And they don't think they're *touchy*

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your feedback. But good news, Madison people. I just landed a wonderful, challenging job that is just right for me. No, not at the McDonald's. lol. But definitely outside the box. I will be lead teaching, largely one on one, and supervising a tutor (hopefully more) in yet another nonprofit whose mission is to help those who need the most help for now, and who will eventually find themselves or their skills more viable on the job market if they stick the program out--in some of Madison's most underserved neighborhoods. I am a very happy woman tonight, and I forgive anyone and everyone for the few misunderstandings. Forgive me too if any of my postings offended you. Not my intention. I thank everyone (in Madison and NYC) who reached out, from the bottom of my heart, for the support and great ideas. Perseverence paid off this time, that and knowing what I have to offer and what I want. A great fit all the way around. I am so grateful to the Universe right now I could bust. Spreading happiness, love, and good tidings all around the town.
Good Luck to you! I don't think you offended anyone though.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
Good Luck to you! I don't think you offended anyone though.
Thank you. Well, that's good. Trying to wrack up some good karma, don't you know? I guess I was a bit offended though and frustrated that this online media, however helpful, does not really allow the true spirit of a person to come through. If people knew me they would know that I am all about helping to create solutions to social problems, not adding to them. I would have moved back to NYC before ever accepting welfare. From a larger spiritual perspective, I can see now that all those doors that were shut in my face on the job market were leading me to the right door, the right job.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
And they don't think they're *touchy*

Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
Quote:
Thank you. Well, that's good. Trying to wrack up some good karma, don't you know? I guess I was a bit offended though and frustrated that this online media, however helpful, does not really allow the true spirit of a person to come through. If people knew me they would know that I am all about helping to create solutions to social problems, not adding to them. I would have moved back to NYC before ever accepting welfare. From a larger spiritual perspective, I can see now that all those doors that were shut in my face on the job market were leading me to the right door, the right job.
it's hard to read into 'type'. sorry if i sounded cold.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
it's hard to read into 'type'. sorry if i sounded cold.
No worries, ladihawkae. Everything is cool. I understand.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM

228 posts, read 665,182 times
So- how did you end up with the job? Where did you find out about it and how long was the process?

I got laid off a year ago from the position I moved here to take (after only 10 months). Having a small to nonexistant network here and desiring an internationally-focused position- Im not too sure what to do anymore. Right now Im doing ok by freelancing, but its frustrating to feel "dumped" in this market with a skill set that doesnt jive with 98% of whats out there.

Hope that wasnt a hijack- your story is inspiring and im glad someone was able to find something in this market.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Believe it or not, prayer, meditation, perseverance, networking, staying in touch with my feelings/intuition and dreams, staying in contact with supportive family and friends, having a good old-fashioned cry now and then, keeping my spirits up by doing the things I love with people I like, taking excellent care of myself and my loved ones, and avoiding anyone (online and in real time) who would wetblanket me with their own doubts and fears. From the time I first sent an email message (cover letter and c.v.) to my current employer, telling him that I want to work in his alternative school and be a part of his adult education community, all in all, it took about two months and some change. He wrote me back immediately to tell me that he had no openings but that I should contact him to strategize. He told me a bit about himself and, no doubt, we have much in common. We stayed in touch, and during my first week in Madison, literally when I was in my hotel room, he told me that a postion (temporary, part-time) had unexpectedly opened.

On a practical level, looking back over the process, I can see that it all came down to believing that I came back to Madison for a reason, that the right job would be found in due time, that the hard work I have done for and with my students and colleagues in my part-time job would pay off, and eventually coming to the conclusion that no matter how it all turned out (Madison v NYC) I would be fine.

My employer is very well-connected in the community and kept after me about persevering in the job market. He likes my work, my intelligence, and my spirit and made a commitment even before he hired me to help me find work. Even though he thinks I am nuts for coming back here in these difficult times, he has mentored me all along because he values what I also bring to the table and knows how much I care. I asked him, as I have asked others, to please keep an eye out for me and to let me know of any relevant job leads. Right when I was about to throw in the towel he strongly alerted me of this opening and pressured me to send the prospective employer my resume and cover letter that day, but he also reminded me that nailing an interview or succeeding in that regard was up to me. Of course. I was never looking for handouts, just a chance. All I needed was someone to please vouch for me and point the way to a door that had opened. The new job is a great fit all around.

Thank God I also have supportive people in my life who believed that I could do this. They knew my background and my training. They knew me as a person and how happy I feel when I am in Madison, how much I love this city, warts and all. I am grateful. When I felt like giving up, I still kept a little candle of hope alive, threw myself into my work, continued to enjoy Madison, let my heart and my hand go out to people in the community who are currently down on their luck, made it a point to treat everyone I meet with care and decency no matter how they treated me, made some new friends, and trusted that what is to be will be.

I really hope this helps. I have learned that it is not about having a lot of friends or a huge network here. I have friends or aquaintances here who have seriously let me down. I have had to forgive them and move on in peace. I think it's about having the right stuff and the right friends, people who believe in you and believe with you, who are aware enough to step up to the plate when the time comes and to remind you that you must do your part as well. I will pay it forward.

Know that I am wishing you peace and prosperity. Please don't think of your post as hijacking my thread. I had hoped for more dialogue on the subject. A lot of people read this forum. By posting your question, you may have helped a lot of people you may never meet in this lifetime. Please let me know how it goes. As my boss once lovingly scolded me (such a dad lol), "You have to hang in there."

Last edited by Nala8; 10-09-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 01:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
I don't think the post was meant to offend. but, you did state that you might have to go to a food bank or apply for food stamps. nobody thinks teaching is a cushy job, but there are those who think they are above the standards of working for mcdonalds, walmart or anything that they did not train for. that being said, mcdonalds, etc...is better than applying for food stamps...until you can get back to your nyc job. after all, there are those of us who work the minimal jobs to get by while surviving the recession without asking taxpayers to support them so they don't add to the problem...that is what i took of the post.
Please understand that jobs at Wal-Mart and McDonald's are not just there for the plucking for anyone who wants to bide their time until something more suitable comes along. There is such a thing as being "overqualified" and places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's don't hire people who they know are going to move on the minute a more remunerative opportunity comes along. Even people whose skill sets are a better match for Wal-Mart-type jobs are having trouble finding them right now, much less people whose skill sets are ill-matched for such jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison