U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM

13 posts, read 13,391 times
Smile Considering a move to Madison

Hi all,
I am going to hit you all up with another "moving to Madison" thread. Here is my story:
My wife and I are 31, we don't have kids yet, but we want them really soon. I am originally from St. Cloud, MN and my wife is from Buffalo, NY. We are currently living in Fort Lauderdale, FL and we can't wait to leave. We are looking for a compromise geographically between MN and Western NY; we both like Madison.
My wife works in insurance. So...question one is whether or not insurance jobs exist in Madison that are well-paying. I know American Family is based there, so that is definitely an option-she's in sales.
I have an MBA and I work in finance. I am looking for an Analyst or brokerage role in the area. Might anyone know about these kinds of opportunities?
We are looking to rent at first. I imagine our budget ranges from $1000-$1400 if that helps. I want to buy in the not-to-distant future, so maybe a nice rental area in which to scout homes is what I need.
We are both definitely used to the South Florida weather at this point, but I am sure we can adjust since we both grew up in colder climates.
Is there any other advice anyone can offer?

Thank you all very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM

164 posts, read 368,241 times
That rental budget can get you a decent 2 BR place on the west side. I'd check out Middleton if I were you. There are many insurance jobs in town as well, I just can't speak to whether they are hiring right now.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:02 AM

175 posts, read 382,472 times
For a minute I saw your username and thought maybe "Charlie" was leaving Notre Dame football and coming to Madison. Thank god that's not the case.

Anyway, madison sounds like a good fit for both of you because the majority of jobs there are related to banking / finance / insurance / government. I can't say for sure what the current job market is but there are quite a few different companies to consider in the area. Not sure whether they are well paying though.

There are good sized apartments and houses in Middleton and far west madison that fit the budget to rent and I'm sure there are vacancies. Otherwise there are some townhomes on the southwest side that could do the trick as well. If you end up on the east side there are some places near the interstate, townhomes near Buckeye and just east of the interstate that are likely being rented in that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison