Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM

711 posts, read 1,688,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Milwaukee has a 25$ wheel tax to pay for a choo choo train so that's why it's 95 in Milwaukee vs 75 in Madison. There is a state where registering your car is only 20$ so I thought of registering my car in lets say Mississippi or where ever it's a lot cheaper and driving around with Mississippi license plates in order to by pass our high taxes.
Let's take your own numbers, How would the cost be $95 in Milwaukee, yet $75 in Madison, but Milwaukee has a $25 wheel tax?

Anyway, the $20 wheel tax is directed entirely into road repair, none of that money is going for trains. Usually you know what you're talking about, if you're going to bash rail, at least get your facts straight and take a step back from Walker's talking points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM

114 posts, read 325,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Anyway, the $20 wheel tax is directed entirely into road repair, none of that money is going for trains. Usually you know what you're talking about, if you're going to bash rail, at least get your facts straight and take a step back from Walker's talking points.
Perhaps "Milwaukee City" was thinking about the old $2 rental car tax that was used to plan for the KRM commuter rail, and the new authority to levy an $18 tax to help pay for construction.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
Let's take your own numbers, How would the cost be $95 in Milwaukee, yet $75 in Madison, but Milwaukee has a $25 wheel tax?

Oh okay 20$, sorry boss.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craptacular View Post
...To answer one of Rebecca's questions, Madison has a resident parking sticker program for some areas, mainly downtown and on campus. Basically, this allows residents to park for longer than two hours on the street, but does not guarantee you a spot. It is an attempt to try and reduce the ability for commuters to come in park in front of your house all day for free, while you can't find a spot. Commuters and visitors can still park, but it is limited to two hours, and then you have to go move your car. I tried doing this for a few months when I moved off campus as a grad student, but then got smart and took the bus. If you can park in a driveway or garage, and don't need to park on the street in these areas, you don't need the sticker. It is currently $21 a year. Otherwise, there are no citywide or countywide parking permits or "wheel taxes" (such as the $20 one in Milwaukee) that you would need to pay just for keeping a car here, although many of the progressives would love to institute them.
I lived in the vicinity of campus when I was a graduate student and I payed for the street parking sticker. However you still need to move your car every 24 hours or you will get a ticket. As a graduate student, I didn't need my car every day, so this was a hassle, especially when I had actually found a spot close to my apartment. I remember one morning I saw the parking police come around and chalk my tire, so I moved two spots in front of where I was. The next day I had a ticket, even though I had moved my car.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 66,958 times
This is just one opinion from one person who considered a move WI.
My wife and I considered a move to Madison from Pennsylvania last fall (also known as early winter in Wisconsin). We were looking at homes around 3000 sq ft and the taxes were going to be $10,000-$15,000... we thought we were moving from a high tax state.. nope. Lot sizes around Madison were not what we were expecting either. Newer homes are built on postage stamp sized lots (less than a 1/4 acre). You look on a map and see all that space and it just doesn't make any sense. Another disappointment. Home sales prices were down (i think) 7% from the previous year, making purchasing a home in Madison even more of a risk. We made two trips there because our first impression wasn't a good one. We ended up staying in PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison