Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,007,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
and feds pick up 40-60%....so even less then that...
and where do you think the "feds" get their money from? The Stash?

Obama Stash - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,766,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
and where do you think the "feds" get their money from? The Stash?

Obama Stash - YouTube
Well they don't seem to mind spending close to 700 Billion on the Defense Budget.... I can't see 40 Billion hurting all that much and considering they dump close to 500 Billion into Air and roads....its really small change.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:59 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,838,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well they don't seem to mind spending close to 700 Billion on the Defense Budget.... I can't see 40 Billion hurting all that much and considering they dump close to 500 Billion into Air and roads....its really small change.
Dont forget the money going to rebuild Iraq after we bombed it, VIA defense contractors. The best part, for the contractors, is that terrorist will probably blow it up so it can be rebuilt several times.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Oh "only cost" and you wonder why so many Americans are in debt and want to be bailed out by the government and you also wonder why every city and state is broke. It is due to this mentality of "only 15 Billion" or only 900 Billion or only 5-6 Trillion. This is truly unbelievable that people can just write of billions and trillions of dollars like it's no big thing. You are right that it's only peanuts in comparison to the money Obama has just urinated away which is 5-6 Trillion.
Yes, the government should sell off every public road to private companies to become toll roads. How dare the government build, and maintain, public roads that people can use for free! The US is bankrupt because of the Interstate system. If they build roads what is next free schools?

Oh wait I forgot we like roads, just not trains.

My bad.

To be serious I have no problem with people not wanting any government, but be consistent like that earlier poster and at least advocate the privatization of everything and an anarcho-capitalist society. If you pick and choose you are just being inconsistent in your views and a hypocrite.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,824,614 times
I don't agree with all our activities overseas, but a strong defense is one of the very few things the federal government should be responsible for. A network of roads that can be used for numerous things, not just passenger transport, doesn't seem too unreasonable either. I seriously doubt that if they were all privatized it would be all doom and gloom, but I'm not convinced it would be a vastly better system than our current imperfect system. It has the potential to be better, if you want to draw the school analogy.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I don't agree with all our activities overseas, but a strong defense is one of the very few things the federal government should be responsible for. A network of roads that can be used for numerous things, not just passenger transport, doesn't seem too unreasonable either. I seriously doubt that if they were all privatized it would be all doom and gloom, but I'm not convinced it would be a vastly better system than our current imperfect system. It has the potential to be better, if you want to draw the school analogy.
Trains can also be used for other things than passenger transit. Ever hear of freight? You are a hypocrite when it comes to transit. You are all for government building roads, but for some reason hate rail. You have not given one justification to support why you have this view, but my guess is you are just parroting the view of Fox News. Yes rail cost money, but so do roads. Think about that.

Also, invading foreign countries and having a huge military, especially with overseas bases was never a role of the original government. That is a more recent event. Of course it is an opinion so there is no right or wrong, but it doesnt make any sense that people pretend to be libertarian than support the US military industrial complex system.

Show some consistency and logic in your views...

Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Trains can also be used for other things than passenger transit. Ever hear of freight? You are a hypocrite when it comes to transit. You are all for government building roads, but for some reason hate rail. You have not given one justification to support why you have this view, but my guess is you are just parroting the view of Fox News. Yes rail cost money, but so do roads. Think about that.

Also, invading foreign countries and having a huge military, especially with overseas bases was never a role of the original government. That is a more recent event. Of course it is an opinion so there is no right or wrong, but it doesnt make any sense that people pretend to be libertarian than support the US military industrial complex system.

Show some consistency and logic in your views...
I'm not hypocritical. I'm just not an extremist. To think that government has to do everything or nothing at all is extreme. There is a balance. There are reasonable and unreasonable things for government to do and provide. Not to mention things that it can or cannot afford to do or provide.
I just think that there is a finite amount of things government can or should do. If we insist on building trains to diversify our transportation system, fine, but we need to rethink other priorities first.
I'm not fully libertarian by the way, but I do know that very few, if any, of them want to get rid of government entirely. That's a ridiculous accusation to make.
I rarely watch Fox News, or any cable news network for that matter. I get news from a hodgepodge of internet places. If Fox News is saying what you say it's saying, all that means is that you watch more Fox News than I. The link I provided was Huffington Post. Hardly right-wing.
I don't know why I bother responding to the military complex accusation. Perhaps you have me confused with another poster. I think a military is necessary, but am not thrilled with our involvement overseas. It's a complex issue, but ideally, our military would be stationed primarily at home, protecting our borders, helping our allies only when asked, then getting back asap.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-01-2012 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I'm not hypocritical. I'm just not an extremist. To think that government has to do everything or nothing at all is extreme. There is a balance. There are reasonable and unreasonable things for government to do and provide. Not to mention things that it can or cannot afford to do or provide.
I just think that there is a finite amount of things government can or should do. If we insist on building trains to diversify our transportation system, fine, but we need to rethink other priorities first.
I'm not fully libertarian by the way, but I do know that very few, if any, of them want to get rid of government entirely. That's a ridiculous accusation to make.
I rarely watch Fox News, or any cable news network for that matter. I get news from a hodgepodge of internet places. If Fox News is saying what you say it's saying, all that means is that you watch more Fox News than I. The link I provided was Huffington Post. Hardly right-wing.
I don't know why I bother responding to the military complex accusation. Perhaps you have me confused with another poster. I think a military is necessary, but am not thrilled with our involvement overseas. It's a complex issue, but ideally, our military would be stationed primarily at home, protecting our borders, helping our allies only when asked, then getting back asap.
Trains are actually an effective way to clear up the roads by reducing congestion, and greatly improve the transportation infrastructure of an area. Every argument against them is, "they cost money and not everyone benefits from them." Yes, they are true criticism, but the same thing goes for roads. In fact trains actually make some money back through charging fares, while roads just sunk in money, unless they are toll roads. Also gas is HEAVILY subsidized by the government. You are right we need priorities and finally we are making good ones by investing in rail transportation, which every other country realized is MUCH more effective than building roads EVERYWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison