U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 11,914 times

Advertisements

I've read that apt. leases always start in Aug. I will be moving after graduation in June to Madison. I was planning to come out there in April to look for an apt. Is it possible to find leases that begin June 1st? If I find something in April will I be able to move in at the beginning of June? Are there any key things that I should consider when looking at apts? (location, hidden costs, etc)
Should I buy most things for my apt. back east or should I wait until I'm out there? I'm new at this so any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

1,734 posts, read 4,615,465 times
Are you graduating from high school and coming to Madison for college or are you graduating from college and coming to Madison for a job?

I ask because it makes a difference regarding leases. Generally, anywhere on or near campus has an August to August lease, but you can sublet in June and if the original person's lease is up in August you can sometimes just stay on.

If you don't want/need to be on campus, leases can start anytime, but generally start in the warmer months (May - August).

I don't know where you are located "out East," but if you don't have a lot to move I would just purchase things here. Why pay to move it? Even if you are moving your stuff yourself, why haul a lot of stuff cross country if you don't need to? Plus, prices are lower here than most places out East. The sales tax in Madison is only 5.5%.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,877,107 times
If you really need to be close to the campus area (which pretty much means anywhere downtown), you are going to find that nearly every lease will run from August 15 to August 14. And on the night of August 14, you will find about 25,000 temporarily homeless college students sleeping on porches, lawns, in their rental trucks, and on friends' sofas.

That said, you can absolutely find a sublease to run from June to mid-August, and if you are lucky and do some hunting, you may even be able to sublease the same apartment you rent for starting in the fall. However, don't assume that what you pay per month for a summer sublease will be at all similar to what you'll pay for a full year lease: there are so many students who want to rent out their apartment for the summer that most of them can't get more than about 50% to 60% of their rent back from the sublessee.

If you are willing and able to live in the more outlying parts of the city, not only will you find leases that start at any point in the year (more in the warm months than in the cold, as Megan notes), you will also very likely find lower rental rates. And as a side benefit, you're less likely to find puddles of pee and vomit on your front porch if you're not living in close proximity to thousands of undergrads.

Do keep in mind that if you need/want to be close to campus, I would strongly recommend that you not wait until even April to come to town on an apartment-hunting trip. At this point, many of the most premium campus-area buildings are already fully leased up for next year, and the next round of apartment-shopping, for the units in older or less fashionable buildings, is in full swing. By April, there won't be a great deal left in the campus area.

Hidden costs to watch for include but are not limited to: a monthly per-person fee for water/sewer that some landlords add to the rent, extra charges for parking a vehicle, and extra charges for pets. Some landlords do their best to capture all your business - they'll rent you the apartment, sell you phone service, internet, cable TV and even housecleaning services, if you're willing to pay for them. If you rent in the city of Madison (as distinct from the Town of Madison), do not let a landlord browbeat you into signing an agreement to do routine carpet-cleaning at the end of your lease. That is a violation of Madison ordinances, although most landlords prefer to ignore the fact.

The biggest cost aside from rent is nearly always utilities, and in a cold Wisconsin winter, that can get pretty harsh if you pay for your own heat. Always, always, always check utility cost history on Madison Gas & Electric's website before you sign a lease. A seemingly bargain rent rate is a lot less attractive if you have to plan on $300 monthly gas bills in the winter. Go to Average Energy Use and Cost for Residential Addresses and plug in the address you are thinking about renting to find out what you can expect in utility costs.

As to buying things, unless you have already sunk a lot of money into furniture, you are likely going to be better off saving the rental truck fee and just buying stuff here.

Good luck to you, and if you would like input on specific neighborhoods or areas of the city when you come on a visit, just post the question here, and you'll likely get plenty of responses.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:49 PM

27 posts, read 56,779 times
Going for the areas on the isthmus (Willy Street, Atwood Ave, and to a lesser extent East Johnson) or near-west (Monroe Street away from Camp Randall) can be a good balance between walkable neighborhoods and semi-downtown living without being on one far side of town or another. It really depends on what your goal is.

While the majority of leases in these areas still do tend to go for August 15th, not all of them do. Craigslist is probably your best bet here (or walking the neighborhoods, if you have time). If you absolutely need to get in to a place and don't mind living further out, the complex route is the way to go.

I'd also agree on the furniture - no reason to move it unless there's something really unique about it.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

34 posts, read 40,855 times
I too am attending UW (grad school) moving and plan for a June 1st move in date. Every firm I have emailed has stated that my desired date is "limiting". They also said that most people who sublet have to find the tenants, so like alltrac stated, craigslist will be the best. So you may have to be more flexible, or just sublet a studio and then move to your real place. I was going to do that but I am coming from Georgia and cannot pack, unpack, pack, and unpack again. One suggestion from the UW apartment search website is to look for places that have not rented out for spring 2010 as they will be on their summer lease list. As for location check Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address and it tells you how close you are to amenities.

Midwesternbookworm-THANK YOU for that link to the energy website!! I have used it like no other and it has helped with identifying potential money drainers. Thanks! :-)

Old 03-10-2010, 12:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,909,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
If you really need to be close to the campus area (which pretty much means anywhere downtown), you are going to find that nearly every lease will run from August 15 to August 14. And on the night of August 14, you will find about 25,000 temporarily homeless college students sleeping on porches, lawns, in their rental trucks, and on friends' sofas.
August 14/15 is also sometimes playfully known as "Hippie Christmas." You can find a lot of your furniture and household needs on the curb and a lot of it is in decent condition. Students just drop it to the curb because they cannot take it with them or its a pain to move.

Madison in general has a tremendous curbside culture. When I moved out of my apartment (~one mile West of campus) in May a few years back, half of the stuff I was tossing to the curb was picked up while I was moving out. People next door came home, picked up the discarded love seat and carried it into their apartment while I was loading other stuff in my car. It was amazing. I wasn't getting rid of nasty or smelly stuff, just stuff that I no longer wanted. On the flip side, we've found some great-condition recent baby gear like high chairs, strollers, etc. A little cleaning and disinfecting and we were good to go.

Thanks, MidwesterBookWorm for the heating link. That is a very useful one.

Oh, and OP, don't forget that there will be rental credit available on your WI tax return for renting an apartment including and excluding heat in the rental cost. The credit for a rented apartment excluding heat is greater and does help, but still use the link above to find an apartment with a lower monthly utility bill is possible. I missed this credit during my first three years in Madison, and when I found out I refiled those years claining the credit because it was certainly worth the effort.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,117 times
My lease in verona goes until june 1 2017. What time does that mean we have to be completely out? I thought it is noon june 1. Please let me know asap, as my landlords want us out may 31 by noon. That is the only day I have help and have rented a moving truck all day. Was planning to be out by may 31 evening. My landlords are elderly and do not always follow the law.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,117 times
Default End of lease

I am moving on May 31, 2017. My landlords want me out by noon. My lease ends june 1 2017. I thought that meant I have until June 1 at noon to vacate. My landlords are elderly and do not always follow the law. Please reply ASAP because I have a rental truck for may 31 all day, as well as help from friends and family only may 31 all day. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 AM

32,716 posts, read 22,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becky0723 View Post
I am moving on May 31, 2017. My landlords want me out by noon. My lease ends june 1 2017. I thought that meant I have until June 1 at noon to vacate. My landlords are elderly and do not always follow the law. Please reply ASAP because I have a rental truck for may 31 all day, as well as help from friends and family only may 31 all day. Thanks.
Call the Tenant Resource Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or