U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM

51 posts, read 81,794 times

Advertisements

Admittingly, I rarely venture outside of my studio (other than for the necessities) I have been "downtown", to the orpheum theater, and I love the Princeton Club that I go to on the West side, but I am bored to death.

I am used to the lively nightlife that DC had to offer, and diversity. What is there to do here? I am pretty open type of person, so if you all could list some of the things you love to do, I would appreciate it!

I am not big into sports, or going to sport games (although I don't mind playing, watching is boring though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM

228 posts, read 391,698 times
Weve been here over two years and I still havent found anything to do either- there are days when Im literally in tears out of boredom. I do like sports and have tried a few of the clubs on offer, but everything is really overorganized or, in one instance, paralyzed by politics. We dont go out much either- in a larger city (in our case London or Chicago) there is always something large and/or ethnic going on during the weekend to see, or a film lecture, or museum shows, or some group doing something in a pick up fashion. Here its just... stodgy.

Sorry I dont have any suggestions for you, but just wanted to let you know we are in the same boat.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:55 PM

51 posts, read 81,794 times
Thanks, it does help, I thought I was the only one, since those I know who grew up here love it and I hear on other forums how awesome this place is (I don't see it, no offense to those who love it here though). Sorry to hear you're just as bored as I am though

Old 04-18-2010, 01:24 PM

5,706 posts, read 4,901,767 times
Bored.com — Free Online Games, Fun, and Entertaining Sites

Old 04-18-2010, 07:47 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,821,801 times
Well you have to remember the Nation's capitol and London aren't going to compare to a midwest city of 200K people, I mean, you knew that comming into this...so I think you need to have realistic expectations.

What did you do in DC or London for fun that you haven't found here? I am not saying that we have the same options, but it would be helpful to know what you consider "fun" or entertaining, since that is objective.

If you think Madison is bad imagine Mason City, Iowa or an even smaller midwestern city. At least in Madison if you are literally bored to tears Chicago is 2 hours away and Milwaukee 1, so if things are really that bad you should gather up the will to get out and visit those places for a breath of fresh air.

Madison offers a nice, quiet and laid back life style. It is a good place to raise a family and be safe and earn a nice living. That is it's claim to fame. It has not and never will be the South Beach of the Midwest nor does it try to be. If you get out and about you can find things to do. It will be different than in major cities, but you have the choice to make the most out of the opportunity, the city isn't going to jump through hoops for someone who moved here and complains that it isn't like New York or LA or wherever. A positive attitude does make a big difference.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM

8,003 posts, read 6,515,448 times
I guess I don't get the "rarely venturing outside of my studio" and then wondering why one is bored.

If I didn't get out of the house and around other people I would be bored, too, I think! I don't work anymore, I'm home every day and living in a small town. I go to plays, concerts at the Civic Center, I always check the changing exhibits at the art museum and I read the paper to see what is available.

Hopefully someone from the area will give you some ideas.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,209,974 times
I agree with Chelito 100%. Tried to give you a rep point, but the system wouldn't let me. The weird thing is I don't think I've ever given you a rep before so why it says I have to spread the love around before rep-ing you again is a mystery.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
r_k

773 posts, read 1,015,607 times
I moved to Madison from a bigger city too, from Pittsburgh, back in 1974. The first year or two I was surprised how little there was to do, but now I never have time to do even half the things I would like to. Every person is different, and every city, but the other posters have touched on what I have learnt is the key - the people you are closest to. "No man is poor who has friends" I think is the operative line from "It's a wonderful life". This applies as much to the smallest town in Wisconsin as the largest city in New York. I would encourage you to not worry about doing big city "things", and focus instead on making even one or two good friends. Even if you don't, like me, go out a lot, you can start at work. That is where the true richness of any place, including Madison, lies, in its people. You will not be bored ever after that. You don't need dozens of friends, just a few you can trust. I have found the people of Madison (and Wisconsin) to be as good as the finest anywhere, and have never looked back. I hope your stay is as good.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 AM

966 posts, read 1,413,088 times
Having lived in other cities and moved here most recently from New York City, I can see where you are coming from, so I would be the last to judge you or preach. By comparison, Madison's entertainment scene leaves much to be desired. The key to enjoying Madison is to not make comparisons. I agree with the other posts here, to a degree. Making friends at work is a fine place to start alleviating the boredom. I have also found that taking classes or becoming involved in creative projects helps a lot. Madison is a good place to develop a favorite hobby or skill. Boredom comes from a lack of engagement, not necessarily a lack of activities.

If, nonetheless, you do want to enjoy more events in Madison, a good place to begin would be to read The Isthmus every week. They have a fine ongoing calendar of events. Madison comes alive in the spring and in the summer, with The Farmers' Market (not just delicious fruit and vegetables; also music, entertainment, and opportunities to get involved), the Willy Street Fair, concerts on the Square and on the Memorial Union Terrace, etc. Exciting? Nope. But definitely nice.

To be honest, I will be moving back to NYC soon; but in the meantime I intend to enjoy Madison, which is beautiful and so much more fun in the summer. The rest of the year, it's pretty much up to you to create your own joy, with friends or in creative solitude. If you can swing it, save your pennies so that you can travel from time to time. Just don't expect Madison to be what it is not. Madison has its own charms.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 AM

228 posts, read 391,698 times
Well, I came here from Reno, NV by way of a million other places so I know what living in a smaller city/town is like. I moved here for a variety of reasons (work, partner's school situation, knowledge that I could ride my bike and do outdoors things here that I like to do) but there is just something missing here for me. Maybe its energy- and its ok if folks want to be laid back and raise kids here, but I know Im not headed that way in life so perhaps this was a very poor fit from that aspect.

I dont have any friends here and I work from home (after being laid off after 10 months from my job here) and money has been tight the last year or so. I did have a few acquaintances at one activity,but those were not strong relationships at all and withered soon after. This week Im going to try and get connected with one or two local bike rides to at least get out and get talking to people, but I know how long it can take to make friends.

Often I feel like Im on the outside looking in here and thats very frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison