Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

Those traps work for chipmunks too but red squirrels can jump hard enough to get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
I did a couple of d-con applications for two-three years. It worked. I placed a bunch outside and a few inside in likely areas. Squirrels can often get lead poisioning at camps.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I worked in the boating department of a summer camp for a couple of years. When the sails went into storage for the fall/winter/spring, we rolled up a bunch of mothballs in the sails to keep the mice out of them. We also put mothballs in the desk where we stored our merit badge books and the like. Not sure if that's a practical solution for mattresses since nobody wants to sleep on a mattress smelling of mothballs. But for stuff that people aren't going to wear or sleep on... mothballs.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:12 AM

6 posts, read 42,055 times
Yeah, mothballs are powerful. But you're right, no one wants to sleep with that smell. There's also been reports of them possibly causing leukemia.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:28 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Here's how to protect mattresses. I got this from a guy who has a hunting cabin in Alaska, where the mice are pretty big. If you have carry-tabs on the edges of your mattresses, you can do this; if not, it isn't hard to sew some on. Screw some large hooks into the rafters on the ceiling, right over the mattress tabs. Thread a strong rope through the hooks, and through the tabs on the mattress, then hoist the mattress up into the air, as close to the ceiling as possible. This will definitely work. It gets the mattress out of their reach. You can't keep them from climbing/jumping on the beds while you're away, but you can get the mattresses up to safety. When you return, just lower the mattresses back onto the beds and remove the ropes for next time. No smelly mothballs, and no mouse-nests to deal with, or chewed-up mattresses!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Put glue traps all along the floors and tops of cabinets. Mice, rats and squirrels cannot free themselves from these devices.

A mousetrap that works really well is the Victor® tin cat® mouse trap. You don't even need bait. Get two, one for inside and one for outside.

Throw moth balls under your camp before you leave, but be sure not to let any pets or children under there, either.

The bucket trap mentioned by both 7th Generation and maureenb will work well for you whether or not you are there.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:01 PM

216 posts, read 645,474 times
Rent storage for your mattresses?

Old 06-23-2010, 06:05 AM

307 posts, read 1,588,842 times
Default mouse bait

We just use pellet mouse bait. We still get a little chewing now and again but that's the nature of the camp. We also bought heavy gauge plastic mattress covers that envelope the mattresses and while they can chew through plastic they haven't yet on these. And when the roof leaks they don't get damaged!
I tell you, over they years I think we've gotten lazier or smarter about not going to as much trouble packing up everything. I've also wondered if we just gave them a nice bed of stuffing and a pile of pine cones on the kitchen floor if they'd just leave everything else alone!
We had a porcupine in the wood shed last night which is connected to the bunk house so the boys are asleep in the living room. Porcupies make A LOT of noise!
We still have not been able to make the move to Maine full time. Economy is still getting in our way. Houses are moving slow in NC and we have both my parents and ours to sell. That and my husband got one of the few raises at his company (good news but hard to leave!). Hope all are well, Moxie.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:06 AM

307 posts, read 1,588,842 times
Default mattress cover

I should have also said that we don't remove the plastic in the summer cause it would be a pain. We just use a fabric cover on top and then sheets as usual.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 47,175 times
Default cat litter box

This suggestions may not be for everyone, but down south we had a problem with mice in the attic. The pest control man suggested "borrowing" some cats long enough for them to dirty a litter box. He advised to NOT clean the litter box and just leave it into the attic. Evidently the smell of cat (predator) urine is enough to deter mice for a long time. We have a spare litter box which we switch out every couple of months and we have not had any problems with mice ever since using this trick. It doesn't seem to phase squirrels, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine