U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 15,269 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear your suggestions for mouse-proofing your summer camp and its contents. It's a constant battle!

We have no electricity. Propane fridge and stove. Running lake water from a pump down on the dock. Only used July-September, off and on.

We have a nice zinc-lined cupboard for linens, but mattresses are a problem. Every couple of years we seem to find one that's been chewed up and has a nest in it. Gross! There's no room for a zinc closet. How do you protect your mattresses? Can you mouse-proof the legs of a bed so they can't climb up?

Minerva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 02:26 PM

31 posts, read 40,951 times
Well I could move in and take care of the place for you. And I'd bring my three cats. They love catching those meeces.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times
I guess I would try to make the house tighter. That's about all you can do is to keep them from getting in in the first place. Once they're in, you've lost the battle.
We even had one build a nest on top of a flourescent light which was suspended by chains from the ceiling. We could never figure out how it got up there. We don't live in the boonies, but we still lost a bunch of things over the winter that were stored in our garage and garden shed.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,350,973 times
A nice black snake will do it in the late spring/summer, early fall. Whenever we had the snake in the house we had no mice, but I hate snakes. Mice can get in anywhere. Cats can help. But the only sure way is steel sheeting lining everything you don't want them in.

You can't protect your mattresses, and you can't keep them from climbing. I think they can jump three feet.

Zarathu

Old 06-15-2010, 06:59 AM

I know they can't be kept out of the cabin. It's impossible to seal a building like that completely. But there must be some ideas for how to protect your stuff inside. (Cats and snakes are not an option!)

Can they REALLY jump three feet? I've seen them stuck in a plastic kitchen garbage can. If they could jump three feet they could have gotten out. They've also fallen into our old-fashioned bathtub and died.

I'm wondering if you could put metal tubes, such as a piece of stove pipe, around each leg of a bed so they can't climb up.....?

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,062,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minerva22 View Post
I know they can't be kept out of the cabin. It's impossible to seal a building like that completely. But there must be some ideas for how to protect your stuff inside. (Cats and snakes are not an option!)

Can they REALLY jump three feet? I've seen them stuck in a plastic kitchen garbage can. If they could jump three feet they could have gotten out. They've also fallen into our old-fashioned bathtub and died.

I'm wondering if you could put metal tubes, such as a piece of stove pipe, around each leg of a bed so they can't climb up.....?

I've had a mouse who jumped out of our garbage can as I was bending over it. He did three feet easy, clearing my left shoulder on his way to freedom. It was the middle of the night and he was crunching on popcorn kernels...I was bending over the can in order to dispatch him so I could get some sleep!

On the other hand, I've found dead mice in empty trash can that they could have easily jumped out of. Maybe its because they can't think they can jump out of them?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:14 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Metal cabinets and metal storage bins work well. They will chew through the plastic ones. People used to store stuff in the old metal potato chip cans. They're hard to find now though stick to metal stuff and you're doing the best you can.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:52 PM

Yeah, we've got some great metal boxes for keeping food safe when we're there. Mattresses are the big challenge because they're too big to fit in any trunks. The place is unoccupied from November to June, so it's a lot of time for mice to do their damage. The old-time camps had zinc-lined closets into which they could drag everything for the winter, but that's not an option for us.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM

2,303 posts, read 3,907,530 times
In the local mills they'd make traps to catch the river rats.
This works well catching mice also.
You can use the nontoxic RV antifreeze.
FAQ

Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM

758 posts, read 852,506 times
Here's a
bucket type mouse trap in action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine