Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 12,546 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I know this may sound crazy, but my husband ( who has an agricultural degree and background--currently in the dairy industry) and I are considering moving to Maine, and are seriously considering starting a business raising goats for either milk or meat ( or both). We live in Virginia now, near enough to the DC/ No. VA area for my husband to see a growing demand for chevon ( goat meat) due to a growing population of muddle eastern peoples and other cultures ( Mexican/Central America) Chevon is naturally lower fat/ high protein than beef or pork, and goats need much less room than cows or pigs. In addition, goat's milk is high prized for making cheeses.

We have been to Maine on vacation both in the spring and fall, and just think it is a great place!

anyway, I am posting to inquire if anyone else out there has made a success of raising small scale "niche" farming in Maine. We are checking out the Ag extension offices in Maine for further info. Our two sons are college age now, and may or may not come with us. I have a social work background, and would like to get a job to get health insurance and income until the business becomes profitable....Any suggestions on where to find appropriate land for this endeavor--we would need 5-10 acres near enough to highways and a medium sized town or city ( this would also increase my employment possibilities...) Any comments on the pro's and cons of such an adventure is appreciated!
Thanks for any replies...we are serious about this to the extent we will be back in Maine in the fall to check out potential areas
Miss Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,075,958 times
Miss Pat, the dairy and meat goat business is growing in Maine -- sheep dairy, as well -- and there are several groups you should contact. You're already started with Extension Service and Maine Dept. of Ag. I would add:

Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association. Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association

Maine Alternative Agriculture Association (Ma3), RR 1 Box 1450, Anson, ME 04911-9727, (207) 696-5831 (no website that I could find quickly)

The Homesteading Today website:
Homesteading Today - powered by vBulletin
has a goat subforum where some Mainers hang out, as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM

37,223 posts, read 60,947,942 times
Our Farmer's Market: http://snakeroot.net/orono/

Has a goat / sheep dairy that markets cheese. They belong to a cheese guild and do fairly well marketing their cheeses.

One of them is: www.appletoncreamery.com

We have a number of folks who raise, butcher, market their own meats too.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,858 times
Hi - I applaud your plan. Word of caution: Maine is a very difficult state in which to do business, so also look into/ask about laws, taxes, licenses, permitting, and general issues that stall getting started. We're hoping the new governor will be an impetus to change this - he understands that Maine has made small business the enemy and that this has to be changed or the state will self-destruct.

As a social worker, you'll find there are mental health jobs in all areas of the state, but the upper half, where land is cheaper, has fewer employment opportunities right now.
JD

Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 AM

16,586 posts, read 15,512,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmaine View Post
..... We're hoping the new governor will be an impetus to change this - he understands that Maine has made small business the enemy and that this has to be changed or the state will self-destruct. .....
How'd you find out who the next governor is going to be?

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,557,799 times
I expect that janmaine is connected with the grass roots and the grass roots have awakened.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,326,179 times
I suspect that some have been smokin' that grass.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:56 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,004,669 times
i'd call the maine usda food inspectors,(dept. of agriculture) to see what the requirements/laws are for processing the goats

there are state laws, and federal laws, depending on how and where you sell goat meat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: