Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times

Advertisements

Good day all,

This may sound like an odd question, but it will help me a great deal in deciding where to move.

I am a student (adult student who went back to school in my 30's, raising two kids) who will be graduating next May. After I graduate I want to pursue my certificate/degree in TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language). I am currently considering the Southwest, as there is a need for those types of teachers, but I am wondering how great the need is in New England?

For a long time I considered Boston, but it is simply out of my reach financially. I have read that there is a fairly significant French speaking population in Maine, and I'm sure there is some immigration, but my big question - Is there really a need for ESL in Maine?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:50 AM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
ESL is big in maine and there is a need. My school I work at has two ESL in the building and could use one more. Maine has large populations on people moving in from both africa and asia. You shoudl be able to find a job - just keep in mind almost all towns are cutting positions in their schools, so....

Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Mass made a law so that schools are NOT required to teach english as a second language..

In Maine there is no such law.. The french immigrated to Maine decades ago to work in mills. I have never met a FRENCH only speaking individual..

We do however have our share of immigrants from Somalia.. The schools in Lewiston have been burdoned by them and there is a large need for ESL teachers however I am unaware of that need is being met??

Old 07-02-2010, 01:30 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Thanks for the replies and information. Please don't turn this into a political or public policy debate, I just want to know whether there is a need in certain areas or not. The United States will always have an immigrant population who need help learning English, regardless of how you feel about who they are or why they are here.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,046 times
Good luck to you , Annie3. I live in Wells where there is an influx of Eastern Europeans for seasonal work. My CNA classmates included African and Asian immigrants, but they were also English speaking. I think many of us as Americans forget that every immigrant is not a ward of the state and many are hard working individuals. And unfortunately having a brown skin makes a person's newcomer status more obvious in Maine.
The need for ESL is here in the urban areas but not as much as in other states.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:15 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Annie, first, kudos to you on your polite reply to the unfortunate politicization of this thread.

Second, I had a client a few years ago who did ESL, and I believe she was an independent contractor of sorts -- hired herself out to the more rural school districts. But as stated above, the need would be more in the urban areas.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
2010 census results for Maine show that immigrants represent slightly more than 4% of the total population.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Portland, Maine has students with 26 different first languages. That should perk ESL teacher's interest.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Annie3, you should have no problem finding employment in the Portland School District. They will be lucky to have such a qulaified TESL teacher on board! I also know that USM has a TESL program, I believe Bart Weyand is in charge. You may wish to contact him!
Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine