Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times

Advertisements

Austrian B&B owner -- if it's who I think it is (can't be that many in Maine) amcgrrl stayed in Camden. Camden hosts one of the most multicultural tourist crowds in Maine, and I find it hard to believe, even impossible, that she ran into any kind of discrimination there. Besides, Maine B&B and restaurant owners are all too aware of what a single bad review on one of the online tourism sites can mean. They would no more discriminate against someone like that than they would hang out a "No Irish Need Apply" sign.

So I'll call BS and a hit and run troll (first post, about an incident that happened 14 years ago, in a thread that hasn't seen any activity in three years?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
The more you think and talk about racism, the more you give it life. Racism does not exist in the real world...and if it does it means you are dealing with people who are of no spiritual or intellectual consequence. I am white...born with light eyes and blonde hair..My parents were out of Russia and the Ukraine. My spouse is British Irish origin...Her grandmother commented on my children one day..."They are of another breed...I can't except them"....She in her foolish little mind saw super white as black.

The other instance of "racism" in my life took place decades ago...I wanted to marry a girl who was of Scottish decent. It was not permitted because her family were extremely rich and established and my family were Russians (Slavonic) - These elite Scots looked at Slavs as inferior and I was not fit to marry or breed with one of their own.

Racism is not just confined to black and white. The point is people are still tribal...and color is not what it might be about. Frankly from my experiences with prejudice - I never considered myself white...Scottish and British people were white...Even if my coloring was super white...I was not white...nor have I felt that I was part of mainstream white.

It is all about your level of intelligence and the quality of your spirit...If you are black...don't classify yourself within that stupid sub-culture and second rate citizenry that the politically correct call African American. The more we are told about racism..the more we believe in it...Belief is powerful. If you believe you have dignity and hold your personal autonomy as sacred - No one can hold you down....It is much like predators in the wild natural world...

Once a predator sees weakness - or fear - or a sense of inferiority they tend to approach...size you up and then attempt to dominate or consume you. If you are walking around thinking "I am black" - the predators will smell that "fear" - Don't give off a scent. I have never disrespected a black person who carries them selves with self respect and dignity.

I am apprehensive of those that carry themselves in an aggressive manner who have hate and fear written all over their faces. If you want to move to Maine...and you like the way the place looks...and you know it will be good for the family - GO...people migrate all over the world looking for a better spot...moving to Maine will be a piece of cake.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:29 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
I see these posts pop up here every now and then. It never ceases to offend me and **** me off! I don't think I have EVER met a true racist here in Maine. I sure can't say that about some other places I've lived or visited. We may have a lot of faults here but racism thankfully isn't one of them.
Just putting in my two cents.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times
I would say that Maine is a lot more tolerant than corporations and network cooking show executives.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:24 PM

468 posts, read 758,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i cant believe this,,, we've had trolls in the past,,hit and run on crap like this before
Just getting caught up on the forum after some busy days and just came across this bump post.

Troll was the first thing that came to my mind too. That story is too over the top for me to believe.

If there is anybody reading this thread that wants to visit Maine and feels that visually, or whatever, that they don't look like a Mainer - whatever that is, PLEASE don't put much credence in this story. Come on up!

Old 06-30-2013, 03:42 PM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
My partner is Japanese and I am American.....we are a gay couple. We never once experienced even a strange look, while we lived in Maine for 3 years. I find the story almost impossible to believe......it makes me wonder if the poster has some other obvious obnoxious trait that turned the hostess off.....offensive language, drunkenness, loud and condescending behavior ????? Or perhaps this post is just someone trolling.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Then realistically internet access becomes your priority.

Call the service providers, find out what they provide and their coverage areas. [both of those criteria have limits]

Then with map in hand, you can check on communities for housing.

But even then before you give a deposit on a home; you should go back to the ISP and verify with them a second time, face-to-face, exactly what they can provide to that exact address. This second check should really be done in person and not with a salesman, but their tech support guy. There have been examples of service providers saying that they provide a blanket of coverage, but later revealing that they have a wide array of limits and restrictions.

Good luck !
Uh uh Sub.

The son is the priority. Always.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Beachcomber -- are you here? Where are you now?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:22 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I see these posts pop up here every now and then. It never ceases to offend me and **** me off! I don't think I have EVER met a true racist here in Maine. I sure can't say that about some other places I've lived or visited. We may have a lot of faults here but racism thankfully isn't one of them.
Just putting in my two cents.
Maine even in the Canadian mind is known for it's class and civility. The state has a very good reputation. There is a huge difference between say Texas and Maine. Texas is charming but has a rough edge...Texas from what I heard has just executed one more person - which brings to total to 500...that is very telling...

Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Not tolerant if you happen to be a non resident of any stripe who wants to hunt on opening day of deer season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine