Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM

67 posts, read 192,418 times

Advertisements

i know down east isnt exactly known for being the most prosperous part of the state, but are any of the towns more prosperous and less depressed than the others? Im attracted to the area because its apart of the coast that isnt built up and touristy, but id still like to live in a town that isnt drug ridden and dying. I wont be moving for another few years so feel free to recommend any towns you feel are beginning to revitalize.

Also, are any of these town particularly in need of a optometrist and dentist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I honestly do not think of any region of Maine as being 'prosperous'. The closest thing to 'prosperous' would be the town of Lincoln.

It is my general understanding that nearly all of Maine has a depressed economy, and has been for many decades.

Few towns in Maine are 'drug ridden', and despite the depressed economy the only towns that are really dying are those up North that are being cleansed.

"Beginning to revitalize" requires a resource that can support an industry [or higher taxes].

We moved to Maine due to what Maine offers, rather than a hope that Maine might one day offer.

Last edited by Submariner; 07-09-2010 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 07:14 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I honestly do not think of any region of Maine as being 'prosperous'. The closest thing to 'prosperous' would be the town of Lincoln.

It is my general understanding that nearly all of Maine has a depressed economy, and has for many decades.

Few towns in Maine have much are 'drug ridden', and despite the depressed economy the only towns that are really dying are those up North that are being cleansed.

"Beginning to revitalize" requires a resource that can support an industry.

We moved to Maine due to what Maine offers, rather than a hope that Maine might one day offer.
Nice sentiment forest and good words to live by.....Maine is what you make it!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
How can you tell that you lived in a prosperous place? I'm not sure that I know what a prosperous place is.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggspc View Post
i know down east isnt exactly known for being the most prosperous part of the state, but are any of the towns more prosperous and less depressed than the others? Im attracted to the area because its apart of the coast that isnt built up and touristy, but id still like to live in a town that isnt drug ridden and dying. I wont be moving for another few years so feel free to recommend any towns you feel are beginning to revitalize.

Also, are any of these town particularly in need of a optometrist and dentist?
You should clarify which part of Maine you're referring to when you say "down east," because different people and even different authorities consider different parts of Maine to be down east.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
How can you tell that you lived in a prosperous place? I'm not sure that I know what a prosperous place is.
Usually everyone in the neighborhood drives a Mercedes or two (at the very least) and have grounds keepers and Mac Mansions. It is also determined by the number of golf courses per square mile.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Lincoln is "prosperous"?? It must have changed since I was there last a few years ago.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:18 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
"Prosperity" is in the eye of the beholder.

Nuances to the definition of "prosperity" do exist...

Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Lincoln is "prosperous"?? It must have changed since I was there last a few years ago.
When so many mills have been shutting down, a town that still has it's mill running is prosperous in comparison.

I am not sure about tourist areas [since I do not live in one], though I think that the tourist industry only sees a seasonal prosperity.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:36 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
I think it might be better to consider stability. An area that is at least not at a huge risk of getting much worse. Towns that are propped up based on one or two large employers would have me concerned. Even a place that is at rock bottom (cant get any worse) might be more stable then a town that appears to be prosperous.

As far as tourism, even though it is seasonal I think it could add a level of stability to an area. If your not directly dependent on the feast or famine industry itself it can provide a seasonal boost. I would imagine even the dentist in Camden see an uptick during the summer with emergencies.

Forest hit the nail on the head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine