Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

742 posts, read 1,222,221 times

Advertisements

1) i dont call people hillbillyies to their faces so thats not a point.

2) LA, GA are southern states, so as i said hillbilly ignorance.

3) what does get along mean? i get along with everyone, that doesnt mean their isnt friction or a total lack of interactiom because of it.

"when folks come to get away from where they were and the way things ran and then set about changing things to match their previous location."

such as what exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,851,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
1) i dont call people hillbillyies to their faces so thats not a point.

2) LA, GA are southern states, so as i said hillbilly ignorance.

3) what does get along mean? i get along with everyone, that doesnt mean their isnt friction or a total lack of interactiom because of it.

"when folks come to get away from where they were and the way things ran and then set about changing things to match their previous location."

such as what exactly?
I don't consider the folks I dealt with/conversed with/socialized with hillbillies. Many were more rural than others from Atlanta but still not hillbillies. All smart in their own way. Some "city" people didn't get it. That was the arrogance and condecension I mentioned.And not saying it to their face leads into the point I made of their relatives.

"Get along": not antagonize, not be less than patient, not ridicule. You know, act like a decent human being.

Such as what? Well, let's see. I was sitting in a coffee shop talking to a guy who just moved from NY. It could have been Virginia, Montana, or Cali. We were talking about state and local laws and regs. He huffed at something, can't remember exactly what, and said they didn't do that where he was from. I drew his attention out the window and said "Look out there and tell me what looks like New York suburbs to you." Some folks want it both ways; get away from where they were and have pices of where they were here. Kind of like an a la carte menu. But he felt he was smarter than the town people. Still does only now from Texas. We still get along and keep up through FB. There's one; need another? I got all day.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,111 times
Somebody called for a hillbilly in Maine? Here I am, what do you want?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,075,537 times
Quote:
1)

such as what exactly?
Hmmm. Haven't lived here very long, eh? Starting back in the 1960s, locals complained about people "from away" who moved to Maine to get away from someplace, only to try to make Maine like the place they just left. The biggest flash point then was zoning. The very worst thing someone could say at town meeting was "Where I come from ..." I remember getting calls at the newspaper where I worked in the early 1980s from new arrivals complaining about how the town wasn't plowing the roads to their satisfaction, for example.

Flash forward. Major stink in a Portland exurb last year when a new resident from New Jersey called the police in an absolute panic because two men carrying rifles had just walked past her house. The dispatcher had to explain to her what hunting season was. She nonetheless tried to get the town council to pass an ordinance banning the open carry of firearms. There was a huge debate in Damariscotta recently about a new sign ordinance, driven in large part by newcomers. Both Damariscotta and Belfast have had major local arguments about allowing Walmart to locate in their communities, a debate that once again split along newcomer/local lines.

Ironically, some of the more recent discussions have pitted newcomers who want to keep their towns the way they are against locals who favor "progress," however that is defined. The Walmart debate illustrated that.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Somebody called for a hillbilly in Maine? Here I am, what do you want?
Nice one. Is it offensive when you call yourself that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Hmmm. Haven't lived here very long, eh? Starting back in the 1960s, locals complained about people "from away" who moved to Maine to get away from someplace, only to try to make Maine like the place they just left. The biggest flash point then was zoning. The very worst thing someone could say at town meeting was "Where I come from ..." I remember getting calls at the newspaper where I worked in the early 1980s from new arrivals complaining about how the town wasn't plowing the roads to their satisfaction, for example.

Flash forward. Major stink in a Portland exurb last year when a new resident from New Jersey called the police in an absolute panic because two men carrying rifles had just walked past her house. The dispatcher had to explain to her what hunting season was. She nonetheless tried to get the town council to pass an ordinance banning the open carry of firearms. There was a huge debate in Damariscotta recently about a new sign ordinance, driven in large part by newcomers. Both Damariscotta and Belfast have had major local arguments about allowing Walmart to locate in their communities, a debate that once again split along newcomer/local lines.

Ironically, some of the more recent discussions have pitted newcomers who want to keep their towns the way they are against locals who favor "progress," however that is defined. The Walmart debate illustrated that.

Another way is when folks move here (personal experience) with an idyllic idea of what maine towns should be. After all, that's the way it is in Crabapple Cove or wherever Murder, She Wrote was dubbed up. They would like to see quaint little fishing villages with a fleet that leave port eveery day (just not too early. Momma needs her 40 winks, ya know) and comes back to allow everyone to have some of their catch. No industry; that's bad. Just enjoy the scenery as we do. Scenery is very bland and not very nutritious.

Had a call at city rooms one winters day from a woman whose dog cowered and hid when the plow went by. "Could you please call ahead before thye go down my street so I can comfort my Snookums?" She thought it was most inconvenient when we said sorry but no. ANother person was upset that the plow banked snow across his driveway and he had to keep shovelling it out. "Couldn't the driver just lift the blade by my place so I don't have to shovel so often?" Another wanted to know if the fishing boats had to go out so early. There must be something the town could do to stop them. I told him if he paid thema days wages they'd probably stay home. That's another oddity; city folks have no sense of humor.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Lord, this is kinda fun. We should all sit down over coffee some day.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,855,860 times
Quote:
Im not sure if I would say friendly everywhere. It has been my experience that you do get some very nice people, but at the same time there is a huge lingering xenophobia in the whole state (not counting coasties who are their owns species).

Im not sure what you would call it, but I have found many mainers exhibit a sort of disagreeableness and entitlement.

An example is I used to know this one lady who was friendly enough but anytime you would make any sort of conversational comment she would just not play ball.

Me -"looks like another rainy day"

Her -"might as well get used to it, its normal"
You seem very unhappy in Maine. Can you think of something you like about Maine to post about without having a negative in the same context. Zarathu moved to his Bar Harbor utopia from PA a year or two ago and then promptly dismissed the ME forum. Unless he has a new username, he's left the Maine forum. I wonder sometimes if he's hanging around with all of his "from away" friends or if he's tried to get along with the locals.

You act like you think xenophobia is a bad thing as you view it from the eyes, mind, and experiences of someone from away...an outsider. If people are proud of their birthplace, culture, heritage, state, the Maine way of life and then feel that it is being threatened by people from away why wouldn't the natives be xenophobic? People relocate to Maine and then the complaining begins...sometimes the complaining crosses over into now, if I could just change this, or if that were more like where we came from... Maine prides itself on being unique among the states and doesn't want to be like all the others. If you migrate to Maine, you might as well assimilate. There are some people from away who embrace all things Maine and are ready to give up the ways of life in the world beyond the state line. I would guess they are happy in Maine.

Instead of criticizing the lady for not playing ball, why not try striking up a conversation about something more interesting than the weather. Maybe you lack social skills.

Even though tourism is a big part of Maine's economy; most Mainers would like to keep the roads to themselves in the summah. Then those shipped in from Europe, Jamaica, etc. to work would have to find work somewhere else. I doubt you'll hear any Mainers saying, "Ya'll come back now, heah" in any form unless they really mean it.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You seem very unhappy in Maine. Can you think of something you like about Maine to post about without having a negative in the same context. Zarathu moved to his Bar Harbor utopia from PA a year or two ago and then promptly dismissed the ME forum. Unless he has a new username, he's left the Maine forum. I wonder sometimes if he's hanging around with all of his "from away" friends or if he's tried to get along with the locals.

You act like you think xenophobia is a bad thing as you view it from the eyes, mind, and experiences of someone from away...an outsider. If people are proud of their birthplace, culture, heritage, state, the Maine way of life and then feel that it is being threatened by people from away why wouldn't the natives be xenophobic? People relocate to Maine and then the complaining begins...sometimes the complaining crosses over into now, if I could just change this, or if that were more like where we came from... Maine prides itself on being unique among the states and doesn't want to be like all the others. If you migrate to Maine, you might as well assimilate. There are some people from away who embrace all things Maine and are ready to give up the ways of life in the world beyond the state line. I would guess they are happy in Maine.

Instead of criticizing the lady for not playing ball, why not try striking up a conversation about something more interesting than the weather. Maybe you lack social skills.

Even though tourism is a big part of Maine's economy; most Mainers would like to keep the roads to themselves in the summah. Then those shipped in from Europe, Jamaica, etc. to work would have to find work somewhere else. I doubt you'll hear any Mainers saying, "Ya'll come back now, heah" in any form unless they really mean it.

And there you are.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,855,860 times
Quote:
Lol now THATS an old tune ive heard a few times myself. I just dont agree to it.

Don't try to pass it off by saying " oh well the outsider started it.

I understand and respect that a lot of Mainers are proud of the state and cannot fathom it may have some flaws, but at least be honest.

I observed a similar trend down south- I call it hillbilly ignorance "look at mister Northerner with his book learning and indoor plumbing, he thinks he's hot manure". (even though the carpet bagger never said or did one condescending thing, the very act of existing and being from elsewhere is a threatening aspect to mainers.
You seem to have words to describe others, what are the words to describe you? The carpetbaggers were from the North and went South. I don't think there was indoor plumbing immediately following the Civil War. There are plenty of universities with book learning available in the North and the South....can even go online.

I think the point here that you are missing is that maybe Maine has a flaw or two but Mainers don't want to hear about them from the "from aways." No wonder the response is often, "So why don't cha leave (don't let the door hit you in the *****); none of us forced you to come here." "We've been doing just fine without cha." "Who asked you, anyway." "What makes you think anyone gives a ____ what you think?" "If you don't like ___, leave."

Old 02-02-2013, 03:19 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post

I think the point here that you are missing is that maybe Maine has a flaw or two but Mainers don't want to hear about them from the "from aways." No wonder the response is often, "So why don't cha leave (don't let the door hit you in the *****); none of us forced you to come here." "We've been doing just fine without cha." "Who asked you, anyway." "What makes you think anyone gives a ____ what you think?" "If you don't like ___, leave."
That sentiment applies to all 50 states. I don't know of one that doesn't believe its unique from all the others.

Years ago I lived in ME and still have friends there I keep in touch with. Its certainly not the "sovereign" type state most ME lifers like to portrait it as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: