U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-29-2010, 05:46 AM

4,885 posts, read 6,777,408 times
Default New Furnace: Oil or Propane?

We would like to replace our 35-year-old furnace before winter. We currently have oil heat. After getting a few estimates, it turns out that the cost to switch to propane would be about the same as staying with oil. (If we stayed with oil, we would have to have the chimney re-lined to get up to code. With propane heat, we wouldn't need the chimney anymore.) Any thoughts which way we should go? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:00 AM

641 posts, read 992,383 times
Several things to consider. First thing is BTU's for each fuel. Below is a comparison...

Heating Oil--sold in gallons (138,700 BTU/gallon)
•Multiply the propane price per gallon by 1.507 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil
•Multiply the natural gas delivered price per therm by 1.387 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil
•Multiply the electricity price per kWh by 40.6 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil

I think you will find heating oil still cheaper than propane as a fuel source. If the only reason you would choose propane was for the venting, there are now oil furnaces that will vent through the side of your house, not up a chimney. Google "System 2000" for one such sytem. I think that's one of the best on the market, (and probably priced accordingly) If it were me, I'd stick with fuel oil, but look for a direct vent model.

Definitely stay away from propane that requires no outside venting. That system will put thousands of pounds of moisture into your house.

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:40 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,153,913 times
If you your not intersted in spending a lot and are not researching new and greener ways of heating like "heatpumps" or "geothermal" ect. ect.

I would stick with OIL! I have both and oil is cheaper! I am not a fan of propane tanks on the side of my house.. The only thing I like about the propane is the instant hot water heater I have..

Unread 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,153,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Definitely stay away from propane that requires no outside venting. That system will put thousands of pounds of moisture into your house.
Nice post! I have never heard of non venting propane heating systems accept for maybe a gas fire place type of setup?? I know just the instant hot water heater I have vents out the side of my house..

Unread 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM

4,885 posts, read 6,777,408 times
Thanks for the information! We already have a small propane tank for the stove and fireplace. I will definitely look into direct vent oil furnaces though. Didn't even know that existed. Thanks!

Unread 07-29-2010, 08:37 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,561,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Several things to consider. First thing is BTU's for each fuel. Below is a comparison...

Heating Oil--sold in gallons (138,700 BTU/gallon)
•Multiply the propane price per gallon by 1.507 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil
•Multiply the natural gas delivered price per therm by 1.387 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil
•Multiply the electricity price per kWh by 40.6 to give the equivalent price per gallon of heating oil

I think you will find heating oil still cheaper than propane as a fuel source. If the only reason you would choose propane was for the venting, there are now oil furnaces that will vent through the side of your house, not up a chimney. Google "System 2000" for one such sytem. I think that's one of the best on the market, (and probably priced accordingly) If it were me, I'd stick with fuel oil, but look for a direct vent model.

We bought a System 2000 oil fired boiler system last fall. It will convert to propane or NG very easily. They will vent out a side vent as long as the system is installed close to an outside wall. I believe they said within 6 feet of the outside wall. Our house has a central chimney so we needed to put in a stainless steel liner for the System 2000 as we would have had a lot of expense moving the plumbing closer to an outside wall. Last winter was not all that cold so it was hard to judge actual savings though we went from using 1400 gallons of fuel to less than 800. It's a really nice system giving you all the hot water you'd ever need and is super quiet too. You can hardly hear it running. They don't give them away. Ours was about $10,000 and with the chimney liner ($900.00) and the MANDATED double wall oil tank ($1,100.00) right around $12,000 installed.

Unread 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM

36 posts, read 64,548 times
Default How big a house did 800 gallons heat ?

Hope I am not butting it, but I know nothing about how severe Maine Winters are. I do know how much heat I needed last year. So the question is this.

How big a house did you heat where you went from 1400 gallons to 800 gallons and where in Maine ? I'm hoping the answer will give me some perspective. I'm considering a move to Camden.

Unread 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
Hope I am not butting it, but I know nothing about how severe Maine Winters are. I do know how much heat I needed last year. So the question is this.

How big a house did you heat where you went from 1400 gallons to 800 gallons and where in Maine ? I'm hoping the answer will give me some perspective. I'm considering a move to Camden.
2400 square feet. Older construction though we did replace the windows in 2008. Last winter was not a harsh one so it's not a good one to judge average heating costs. The winter of 2008-2009 was pretty cold and we burned that 1400 gallons of fuel oil as well as 5 cords of wood. Camden is perhaps not as snowy as some parts of Maine being on the bay but it stays cool there a lot longer in the spring as the wind of the bay is cold.

Unread 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM

36 posts, read 64,548 times
1400 gallons AND 5 cords of wood ? Yikes .... that sounds serious. 2400 is a pretty good sized structure to heat though, and that new furnace sounds like a big savings in the long run.

I used about 400 gallons last Winter along with 3 cords of wood. Old 1200 sqft buiolding drafty windows too. Don't want to sink money into it. Would rather move to Maine ..... unless the thought of Winter there scares me.

I'm considering Bath and Brunswick as well. When you commuted to Camden from Freeport, you must have gone through those towns. Any thoughts in comparing them to Camden or Rockport ? Bath and Brunswick look like they are more inland and wouldn't offer the seacoast feeling I want.

Unread 07-29-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
1400 gallons AND 5 cords of wood ? Yikes .... that sounds serious. 2400 is a pretty good sized structure to heat though, and that new furnace sounds like a big savings in the long run.

I used about 400 gallons last Winter along with 3 cords of wood. Old 1200 sqft buiolding drafty windows too. Don't want to sink money into it. Would rather move to Maine ..... unless the thought of Winter there scares me.

I'm considering Bath and Brunswick as well. When you commuted to Camden from Freeport, you must have gone through those towns. Any thoughts in comparing them to Camden or Rockport ? Bath and Brunswick look like they are more inland and wouldn't offer the seacoast feeling I want.
Living right on the water has it's good aspects and bad ones in my opinion. We live about two miles or less from the water as the crow flies yet I can smell the ocean from my house everyday. We get all the fog and can hear marine radio broadcasts on VHF if desired. We have a family camp on the water too so we get plenty of ocean. That said I wouldn't like to live right on the ocean unless I had a large bank account and a real good steady income I could depend on forever. The taxes on the water are outrageous. My inlaws pay $10,000 a year tax for just a small cottage that is not even a year round home. If you need to have the ocean by your side and can afford a place on the water (and pay the taxes on it) then good for you. Go for Camden or anyplace else. Hopefully you will have enough to buy a place with some land as a buffer around you. I have lived in Brunswick and had friends in Rockport. Brunswick has a lot more going on in the winter than Camden or Rockport. Close to the ocean is close enough for me. I can still get a clamming license where I live so I'm ok without seeing seagulls every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine