Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:15 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,645,133 times

Advertisements

Oh, geeze, you're right, LoveMaine -- it's Reny's, not Mardens! Had a senior moment there.

WineFoodMusic -- have you ever been to these towns at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 PM

36 posts, read 175,278 times
LawMom .... never been to that part of Maine. It's my main reason for asking these questions. I'm familiar with the lower coast from Biddeford and Saco up to Freeport. Camped near Old Orchard Beach a number of years.

First time I saw Maine was in early September. I decided to go for a swim .... good grief .... thought I got sterilized for life. You would think the water would have warmed up by end of Summer. I loved the seafood. Maine folks were real friendly. I loved the fog rolling in .... smell of the air.

What I saw I liked. I plan to take a closer look, but a trip itself doesn't give you the whole story. People do ... a broad range of responses especially.

Part of my main reason for choosing Maine is the clean air. The only other place for air that clean are Minnesota and states west of the Mississippi. My kids live in Connecticut. Maine is close enough for a days drive to Connecticut. So it is a matter of choosing the right town. Getting older and want to be within walking distance of things one needs to live. It seems a coastal town is the best choice since I don't want to deal with that absolute coldness you find inland.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,659,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
LoveMaine .... your from Camden and may be of help.

1. The question concerns walking along the coast in Camden. I would be 'considering a place in town maybe a few blocks from the coast.
I like to go for a walk on balmy Summer evenings along the coast. Can you park your car close to the water and go walking along the coast in Camden ? Here in Connecticut, that is practically impossible. No parking allowed on the streets near the coast. You have to know somebody and park on their property. Just curious what the situation is in Camden. I can't afford a place right on the water, but I would still want to enjoy the coast.

2. Second question. Why did you choose Camden and why do you love it ? What makes Camden so special ? Your insight may be helpful to me.

I also have a general question about Camden. I hear it is very picturesque. Being a photography buff myself, I would think there would be a lot more pictures available of the town.
Yes, you can park in downtown Camden and walk along the harbor. There is a nice walk from downtown to Laite beach, which is a beach right near the town. I live less than a mile from the harbor and go there often. There are many parking spots, including residential areas where you can park on the side streets and walk to the harobr during busy tourist season.

Camden is a great place to live, IMHO. There are events throughout the year, but of course especially during summer. If you like libraries, Camden has a great one! Camden Public Library | Camden Public Library There are concerts at the adjoining amphitheater and also movies are shown there on a big screen during summer. Real estate prices have dropped quite a bit in the last year, so now is definitely the time to buy here. If you need the name of a good realtor, please send me a DM.

Yes, Camden is very touristy, but it certainly doesn't shut down during winter. Plus Belfast is about 25 minutes north, and Rockland is 15 minutes south of here. Both towns are very much year-round towns.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. I'm happy to help!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

155 posts, read 125,008 times
So...you can walk along the Rockland Breakwater which is a beautiful walk to the lighthouse. You can also walk around Eaton Avenue in Camden and around the harbor down BayView St. Mt. Battie and Mt. Megunticook are also located there and fun to hike. Camden has a great school system and the whole area is just very pretty. I am from there and lived there (Rockport) until last year.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,659,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny88 View Post
So...you can walk along the Rockland Breakwater which is a beautiful walk to the lighthouse. You can also walk around Eaton Avenue in Camden and around the harbor down BayView St. Mt. Battie and Mt. Megunticook are also located there and fun to hike. Camden has a great school system and the whole area is just very pretty. I am from there and lived there (Rockport) until last year.
I love Rockport too! Lived there for 3 months last year in a short-term rental before deciding where to buy. (LOVE Rockport harbor and I walk Beauchamp Point almost every day...) All the areas you mention are just beautiful. Every day I still can't believe I get to live here.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:15 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,645,133 times
I seem to have offended you, and that was not my intent, Wine. Lots of people on this forum have actually visited a place and still have lots of questions, myself included. Many people will say that there is no substitute for actually spending some time in a place you are interested in relocating to -- everyone is so different and opinions vary so much. What works well for some does not for others.

I wish you luck, and I do think Camden and Belfast are lovely.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Default LawMom

LawMom ..... there was no offense taken. I'm just a very direct person. It was just a straight honest answer on my part.

You were absolutely correct and proper in asking the question you asked . How else can you provide feedback if you don't know. I do value any feedback and perspective you can give me. And please .... don't worry about offending me. I tend to ignore and walk away from people that offend me.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 AM

Default LoveMain question

LoveMain ... very generous offer. What does DM stand for ? I'm fairly green with respect to this forum. Direct Mail or Direct Message ? I wouldn't even know how to do eithjer on this forum.

I noticed in your profile you have lived in NJ and NC. I am curious as to how you would compare those locations to Camden Maine. NJ is just down the road from here and my brother lived in NC, so I am somewhat familiar with that climate as well.

A real estate agent would be helpfull. I am curious about some of the older homes I have seen listed. I guess I would be interested to know if they are insulated, have had their electrical upgraded as well as their plumbing. I wonder if the real estate agent would know. I know each house is different, but it's something a buyer would wish to know.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,303,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
LoveMain ... very generous offer. What does DM stand for ?
Usually "Dear something", DW, DM, DS, DH, DF: Dear wife, Dear Mother, Dear sister, Dear Husband, Dear Friend, etc.

Re: "I tend to ignore and walk away from people that offend me."

You can do that very easily here: click on where it says "direct messages" up at the top right on this page under your name. This will take you to an area where there are lots of option. One of the ones on the left is called "Edit Ignore Options". In this one you can type in the name of anyone's who's posts raise your blood pressure. You will never see their posts.... EVER. Sometimes its the best way to proceed.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,567,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Usually "Dear something", DW, DM, DS, DH, DF: Dear wife, Dear Mother, Dear sister, Dear Husband, Dear Friend, etc.

Re: "I tend to ignore and walk away from people that offend me."

You can do that very easily here: click on where it says "direct messages" up at the top right on this page under your name. This will take you to an area where there are lots of option. One of the ones on the left is called "Edit Ignore Options". In this one you can type in the name of anyone's who's posts raise your blood pressure. You will never see their posts.... EVER. Sometimes its the best way to proceed.
Wrong again Z. DM stands for direct message.I'm sure your ignore list is full!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine