Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,427,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Wrong again Z. DM stands for direct message. Im' sure your ignore list is full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,658,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
LoveMain ... very generous offer. What does DM stand for ? I'm fairly green with respect to this forum. Direct Mail or Direct Message ? I wouldn't even know how to do eithjer on this forum.

I noticed in your profile you have lived in NJ and NC. I am curious as to how you would compare those locations to Camden Maine. NJ is just down the road from here and my brother lived in NC, so I am somewhat familiar with that climate as well.

A real estate agent would be helpfull. I am curious about some of the older homes I have seen listed. I guess I would be interested to know if they are insulated, have had their electrical upgraded as well as their plumbing. I wonder if the real estate agent would know. I know each house is different, but it's something a buyer would wish to know.
In this case, DM stands for direct message. If you click on a forum member's name, a drop-down menu will appear. You can send direct messages that way. When you receive a direct message, it'll let you know in the upper right-hand corner, where it says "welcome" and then your forum name.

We lived in NJ for just under a year (Toms River area). As you know, traffic is horrific, but the little time we lived there, we actually enjoyed! NJ is like a whole different world, but I'm glad to have experienced it. As for NC, we lived there for 3 years, right outside Raleigh. It was a nice area, full of brand new subdivision, shopping areas, etc. It was just way too hot and humid for me. Plus we had always wanted to move to Maine, so when the opportunity came up, we went for it. All 3 states were very different to live in. I feel most at home in Maine. Love the scenery, people, old houses, and living close to the ocean.

I'll send you a direct message with our realtor's info. He worked hard for us, and is in the middle of working with another forum member who is relocating to Maine. Hope this helps!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,021,385 times
Quote:
Part of my main reason for choosing Maine is the clean air.

I'm under the impression that the pollutants for all coal fired powerplants throughout most of the Midwest, end up following the air currents straight to Maine.

And that is why, for example, the level of mercury is so high in many or most Maine lakes and ponds.

And there may also be high levels of air pollution in certain areas from industrial plants in Maine: State disputes air quality report - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/News/State-disputes-air-quality-report-,95234 - broken link)

Old 07-30-2010, 03:08 PM

36 posts, read 175,258 times
Default To OutDoorNut

OutDoorNut .... there is another web site that gives a lot of information about various towns. I have been using sites for gathering information.

1. CITY-DATA.COM - this is a great site and does a lot more than I ever realized.

Check it out and let me know what you think. It really fills some details not found in CITY-DATA.COM

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 12:27 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,021,385 times
Quote:
OutDoorNut .... there is another web site that gives a lot of information about various towns. I have been using two sites for gathering information.

1. CITY-DATA.COM - this is a great site and does a lot more than I ever realized.

Check it out and let me know what you think. It really fills some details not found in CITY-DATA.COM

Thanks, but I know about them.

To learn more about Maine, you might also check the articles on the Bangor Daily News Online edition, which I do six days a week: Maine news, sports, obituaries, weather - Bangor Daily News

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-31-2010, 07:44 AM

36 posts, read 175,258 times
OutDoorNut - thanks. I will check those links out.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:04 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,302,759 times
Most of the towns on the coast(and inland) have active Senior Colleges. This gives seniors an opportunity to do real learning activities, and not sit in senior centers doing useless crafts and playing checkers. Check out the senior college network. I'm very familiar with the one on Mount Desert Island since I am a member there, and helped to start their web forum as well as moderate it. They have lots of social activities as well as a huge number of learning activities. The MDI one is located at College of the Atlantic.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,075,537 times
Belfast has a large Senior College program as well as a University of Maine center where you can take courses. The city has a very different feel from Camden and Rockland, sort of a funky echo-of-the-60s with a popular co-op, Green Store, lots of summer street fairs and a great farmers market. Good fishing off the old bridge, too.

Rockland is a cool little city with an active downtown. The Lobster Festival and the Blues Festival fill it up in the summer, and the walk along the breakwater to the lighthouse is very popular. If real estate prices are a consideration, I'd put Camden as most expensive, then Belfast and Rockland. Both Belfast and Rockland have hospitals, although I'll admit I'm partial to the one in Belfast. There are several golf courses in the area, and the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland is nationally known.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:25 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,658,615 times
True, real estate prices are higher in Camden, but property taxes are higher in Belfast. We looked at houses in both towns, and our mortgage payments evened out when we considered the higher property taxes in Belfast. Rockland's property taxes are also higher than Camden. Just something to consider....

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

722 posts, read 1,504,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I'm under the impression that the pollutants for all coal fired powerplants throughout most of the Midwest, end up following the air currents straight to Maine.

And that is why, for example, the level of mercury is so high in many or most Maine lakes and ponds.

And there may also be high levels of air pollution in certain areas from industrial plants in Maine: State disputes air quality report - Bangor Daily News (http://www.bangordailynews.com/story/News/State-disputes-air-quality-report-,95234 - broken link)
HMMM air quality has always been great on my vists, and name a place that has no mercury concerns in their waterways, just a fact in today's world. All in all Maine is one the best places to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine