U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,431 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I was just curious as to know whether there is any cell phone carrier that provides service in Eastport, Maine, and if so: 1) What are they? ,2) Which is the best? My boyfriend and his family are taking a trip up there. We have an A T&T phone and a Verizon phone - do either of those carriers get good cell phone service? If not, what do you suggest is the best way to keep in touch? Thank you so much for your input!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,845,933 times
Unicel, which might be Verizon now, and US Cellular die in Eastport. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 AM

3,147 posts, read 5,658,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyssaAmbrosia View Post
Hey everyone, I was just curious as to know whether there is any cell phone carrier that provides service in Eastport, Maine, and if so: 1) What are they? ,2) Which is the best? My boyfriend and his family are taking a trip up there. We have an A T&T phone and a Verizon phone - do either of those carriers get good cell phone service? If not, what do you suggest is the best way to keep in touch? Thank you so much for your input!!!!!!

US Cellular actually does work in Eastport. I have no problems with it. The upper parts of town are ok, but down in the town itself is a roaming charge thru Canada. We used to have ATT. They had horrible coverage, maybe that has changed.

What did we ever do without cell phones? It's amazing how these things have become a necessity.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 AM

3,020 posts, read 5,001,598 times
What's a cell phone? Seriously, I have Tracfone andit works as well as any others we've had. T-Mobile was terible though. Mr Austin is right, once you start getting close to town the Canadian towers snatch hold of you.Companies will drop the roqming charges a few time but unless you're Navy coming in over the 4th they will only do it so often.

Personally I hate phones period. I only carry my cell when I'm on a road trip and DW makes me take it.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 AM

71 posts, read 150,428 times
I used to live in upstate NY, right on the Canadian border, and my phone would consistently bounce off of Canadian towers. I called my carrier and explained the situation, and they automatically removed the roaming charges from my bill each month. You may want to speak with your carrier to see if they would do something similar.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:10 AM

11,064 posts, read 10,921,320 times
Cell coverage in Eastport is dicey. We see people walking past our house every day talking on their phones as they walk toward the IGA. For some reason, the west side of the IGA parking lot seems to be where people can generally get their phones to work. Down on Water street or driving across the causeways, my AT&T phone often changes to a Canadian tower, evidenced by the change in time on the clock.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:11 AM

473 posts, read 626,951 times
my brothers, SIL and most of the people who come up to visit have verizon, kids have track phones. their phones work up here, but service is unpredictable. thats because us cellular is the only provider for us up here and the tower wars are the problem, same for us when we travel to the southard. as previous poster mentioned, be careful of the tower you are bouncing off of. just look at the time on your phone, if you are hour ahead, you are on a canadian tower. us cellular was always pretty good about taking off those roaming charges when we headed out to calais or eastport, the last few times, they told us to start paying attention to the time on the phone.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,708,445 times
US Cellular is wonderful about removing those charges for hitting off the Canadian tower(s).... I know other people with different carriers and that was not the case at all. Reception is spotty in Eastport, but it's workable. Depending on the carrier though, it might be better to have a land line and a calling card in hand!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,045,170 times
Verizon does not charge for roaming inside continental us.. so I would expect they would remove those charges as well..

I have no house phone and all I use is my cell.. thats too bad that at this day in age there is still spotty coverage in some parts... must make doing business very difficult.. and though I don't completly understand the business aspect of towers and how they work with the carriers god knows I've given verizon enough money over the years to improve those conditions.. My guess is there isn't enough people living in those areas to justify the investment bu8t considering the amount of tax dollars that go to these companies again its just not right! One reason I was against the whole verizon/fairpoint deal!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,738,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Personally I hate phones period. I only carry my cell when I'm on a road trip and DW makes me take it.
I agree.

I end up talking to many people every day who call me from their cell phones.

Almost always it's hard to understand what they are saying because the transmission is so bad.

Often they are suddenly disconnected.

And often their battery goes dead in the middle of the call, and "poof!" they are no longer on the line, and I wonder what happened to them.

And don't get me started on how idiotically complex the obnoxious things get with every new generation of cell phone.

I have my current cell phone for two years (I use it only for emergencies or when otherwise away from a real phone), and it's too much bother for me to figure out how to adjust its volume. Although I'm sure there's a way, and that it's buried in there somewhere among the computer games and text messaging and other crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or