Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Keep an eye out for suspicious activity in the Freeport-Brunswick area! Don't hesitate to call police if you see something unusual and lock the doors!!

http://timesrecord.com/articles/2010/08/03/news/doc4c58591852f66123746380.txt (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times

I'm at work, my house is always unlocked and the keys are always left in the car.

Guess the bad guys are only after merchandise as they left the occupant sleeping upstairs alone. That's good news, if they decide to enter my home I sure as heck don't want them waking me up either.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post

I'm at work, my house is always unlocked and the keys are always left in the car.

Guess the bad guys are only after merchandise as they left the occupant sleeping upstairs alone. That's good news, if they decide to enter my home I sure as heck don't want them waking me up either.
If they enter my home they're likely to get ventilated!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 AM

277 posts, read 891,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post

I know a lot of people that do that...house unlocked and keys left in the car...I don't know how you dare to do it. I live on a private dead end road out of town, there are 12-14 homes on the road and we are relatively close to each other...can't always directly see the other houses...but would know if someone came up the road for the most part. Every night before we goto sleep the doors are locked and and the keys are in the house...sometimes we even lock the cars. I've grown up in Maine all my life and never lived "in town" but have always locked everything up!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge04 View Post
I know a lot of people that do that...house unlocked and keys left in the car...I don't know how you dare to do it. I live on a private dead end road out of town, there are 12-14 homes on the road and we are relatively close to each other...can't always directly see the other houses...but would know if someone came up the road for the most part. Every night before we goto sleep the doors are locked and and the keys are in the house...sometimes we even lock the cars. I've grown up in Maine all my life and never lived "in town" but have always locked everything up!
Yeah we're pretty bad that way too. We lock up when we go away for a while but not every time we leave. It's hard to do as the place wasn't designed with locking up in mind. We did finally replace the non locking windows with double lock thermal ones and replaced the non locking bulkhead with a locking version. I still feel that anyone who really wants to get into your house is going to find a way. Maybe an alarm system would be a good investment. Carrying a handgun is also good insurance.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

277 posts, read 891,615 times
I agree..if they truly want to get in...they will. My thought has always been that there are 2 different kind of thiefs...there are the ones that are looking for the easy opportunity and then the ones that are really looking to get in. I figure that locking up will keep out those that are looking for easy entry...I think it takes a certain type of person to be willing to physically break in via breaking a window or kicking in a door...I could be entirely wrong..but it helps me sleep at night haha!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I agree..if they truly want to get in...they will. My thought has always been that there are 2 different kind of thiefs...there are the ones that are looking for the easy opportunity and then the ones that are really looking to get in. I figure that locking up will keep out those that are looking for easy entry...I think it takes a certain type of person to be willing to physically break in via breaking a window or kicking in a door...I could be entirely wrong..but it helps me sleep at night haha!
You're right. The theives hitting this area lately are obviously grabbing what they can and getting out fast. They are hard to catch unless someone sees something that looks suspicious and calls the police. My brother's place was broken into a couple of years ago in Brunswick. They took an old shotgun (that didn't even work) and a drawer full of change. Not a big hit though knowing someone was in your home is unsettling.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Probably the best practical protection against burlaries would be having your home within easy hearing and sight distance of your neighbors.

Although I would really like to buy a home in Maine far from any other homes, the fact that would make my home an easy one to break into, inclines me to buy a house in a town with other houses around me.

That way my neighbors can keep an eye on my house and I can keep an eye on theirs.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Probably the best practical protection against burlaries would be having your home within easy hearing and sight distance of your neighbors.

Although I would really like to buy a home in Maine far from any other homes, the fact that would make my home an easy one to break into, inclines me to buy a house in a town with other houses around me.

That way my neighbors can keep an eye on my house and I can keep an eye on theirs.
Another approach which many Mainers living on isolated parcels of land practice is to not own anything of value. If you need opulence around you don't be surprised if someone is waiting to steal it. If you drive around in a brand new Jaguar, live in a Mc Mansion,have to have all the latest and greatest in electronics and bling, flash money around town like you own the place don't think you won't be noticed.
If someone wants my old lcd tv they can have it. Any real valuables we have are locked up in a safe deposit box at the bank. DW has no jewelry of any real value, we keep no cash in the house, gold, silver or anything else a thief might want. They could try to steal the tractor if they want but they won't know how to start it!!! They would be very disappointed if they broke in to this place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: