Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
BNAS stored nuclear torpedoes on the base. Perhaps the Russians (then Soviets) knew of this and targeted BNAS as a strategic target. We put fence around the magazine under armed guard in the late 70's. We were told then by some of the guards there were indeed nuclear weapons at the base.

They were for search and rescue with prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Any other nuclear targets that you know of in Maine? Just curious if there are any others that may be in existence.

Nuclear target map for Maine: Nuclear War Fallout Shelter Survival Info for Maine with FEMA Target Maps

All states: Survival Communities

Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM

388 posts, read 998,629 times
I live in West Bath, technically its own little city, but we do share the post office. I love the fact I am just a couple of miles from a town complete with varied restaurants, free band concerts in the summer on the green, a lively farmer's market in season, a very busy main street, and a decent library. Reid State Park and Popham Beach are roughly 20 minutes away. I have friends who grew up in the area, hated it way back when, and just can't get over the positive direction it has gone in over the years. BIW is here to stay, new businesses are coming to BNAS, and Southern NH University is expanding to the area. Bath is a neat town.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Great map OutDoorNut. Pretty much sums it all up. We can only hope it NEVER happens!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Great map OutDoorNut. Pretty much sums it all up. We can only hope it NEVER happens!
Especially since the information presented on that site is highly optimistic, to say the least. One of the things I was required to study when I was in the Army was nuclear blast patterns, targets and casualty projections. The *real* numbers and the truth about nuclear survivability (at least according to the information *I* was given) would likely scare the [whatever] out of you. They are so dismal and horrific that they do not bear thinking about for any great length of time. As Maineah says, just hope it never happens.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcroft View Post
By the way, just came back from the beach today and walked out to a little cove where I was the only one in sight. Went for a swim in the warm(ish) water and loved it. I'm so thankful I live in Maine.
Pray tell, where is this? My daughter will want to know!!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Pray tell, where is this? My daughter will want to know!!
Popham Beach State park, take a right off of RT 1 onto High St. and follow the signs towards Phippsburg, it's about 25 minutes from downtown Bath. There is another sandy beach down that way also, it's at Small Point. Tell her to follow the signs to Hermit Island. Smaller beach, no life guards and not so well kept. Not one of my faves.

Also there is another beach close by. Immediately after the Bath bridge, take the first right (I don't know the route numbers) and follow the signs towards Georgetown to Reid State Park. Both are more than a mile of gorgeous sandy beaches. Reid State Park is nice for people with little kids, as there is a small shallow (tidal) lagoon there. Warning though, if they walk across the boardwalk to the actual beach, the breakers are often enormous and the undertow is extremely dangerous on many days. There are life guards at both beaches, but not enough of them to keep an eye on every little kid in the water. Reid has a snack bar though, which is nice if you don't want to pack a lunch. Beware of hungry seagulls flying overhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine