Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You said that you needed access to an airport, then you said Portland. Maine has many airports. By focusing on Portland, you are focusing yourself on a very tiny corner of Maine where the highest cost-of-living does apply.

Bangor has an international airport.

Actually, New Hampshire has an airport handy by down there, that is quite a bit cheaper to use than Bangor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Actually, New Hampshire has an airport handy by down there, that is quite a bit cheaper to use than Bangor.
Okay, I had not thought of that.

I guess it depends then on how often you are going to be flying. Does the savings from flights balance the higher cost-of-living?

If you save $100 / flight and you make 20 flights / month, the savings from being located near to a lower priced airport would add up nicely.

We may fly once a year. So it would have never been a deal breaker for us.

Right now my Dw is in DC [she drove because she likes to drive and it is only a one day trip] she went down to catch a play.

I can see however if we were frequent flyers it may well have played out differently.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 9,534 times
My husband was actually looking at the Bangor area last night on realtor. And we were up in Acadia last year, and passed by Bangor. We can take a drive up when we're up there in November. I guess I have to research a little more. As long as we're near an airport (he does travel pretty frequently), and the schools are good, we're pretty much open. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You said that you needed access to an airport, then you said Portland. Maine has many airports. By focusing on Portland, you are focusing yourself on a very tiny corner of Maine where the highest cost-of-living does apply.

Bangor has an international airport.

Hi FB! Nice to 'see' you again.

You are so right, and I think you can get more for your dollars here. I'm 1/2 hour from the airport with more than 20 acres of very private land. You can't see the house from the road, and you can't see any other houses from here. I can vacuum the pool nekkid if I want to. (And I can tell you that a sunburn on your butt is rather uncomfortable.)

The cost was less than $200k and taxes are about $2k/yr.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 AM

It's travel for his job. Fortunately, his company pays for it. It's basically from a convenience standpoint. The closer it is, the less travel time it'll take. He usually is able to fly non stop out of Newark, but that would change obviously if we move. He was checking the flights last night, to see if out of Bangor you could connect in Newark, like you can out of Portland. Not sure when he found out. Honestly, the schools, and being able to get more of what we want are the biggest deal breakers. As long as the drive isn't more that an hour to the airport, it's ok. He drives to Newark now and it takes an hour.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 823,969 times
Since some of this is talking about cost of living...this was interesting to check out. It just shows an amount of money and what it's equivalent would be in different areas around the country.

Cost of living: Does $250,000 make you rich? - CNNMoney.com

Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo11100 View Post
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on these or other areas that would be a fit for us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I love Maine and will be returning to retire there at the end of the year. I grew up in Cape Elizabeth, it is a wonderful community, has great schools for the college bound, and is so expensive to live in that virtually none of my graduating class lives there. Getting a two acre lot there would be... in the millions I would guess.

Many of the bedroom communities you mentioned are of the same ilk. When I moved back to southern Maine, three years ago, I lived in Brunswick. I can't say enough good about it. Much lower real estate cost, larger lots, college community, north of Portland.... all good things. About 20-30 minutes to the Portland Airport. I don't know about the schools.

I'm retiring to Bangor and am currently commuting there from D.C. every month. IT IS A NIGHTMARE! The cost of flying to Bangor is 300% the cost of flying into Portland (from Baltimore). Flights are circuitous, multi-stop and very expensive. Bangor Airport's heyday was about 20 years ago and now it is so bad that very few fly from it, most drive to Portland instead. When I go into Bangor Airport to rent cars, I am saddened to see how few people are there. I fly to Portland, rent a car, and still save hundreds over Bangor.

You do know about winter.... right?

Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Thanks. We actually looked at flights a little while ago out of Bangor and not only were they expensive but they would add hours to his travel times. Most of his travel is to the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area, and when you look at flights out of the Portland airport, it seems they're much cheaper, and less time consuming.

Cape Elizabeth does look really nice, but we can't afford a house in the millions. We definitely would rather be further out in a more quiet area. I'll look at Brunswick. thanks

And yes, we do know about winter. We love cold weather. I've had enough heat for a lifetime. Lived in South Florida for 15 years. That was enough hot humid weather for a lifetime

Old 08-09-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
Since some of this is talking about cost of living...this was interesting to check out. It just shows an amount of money and what it's equivalent would be in different areas around the country.

Cost of living: Does $250,000 make you rich? - CNNMoney.com

What an interesting article. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Hi FB! Nice to 'see' you again.

You are so right, and I think you can get more for your dollars here. I'm 1/2 hour from the airport with more than 20 acres of very private land. You can't see the house from the road, and you can't see any other houses from here. I can vacuum the pool nekkid if I want to. (And I can tell you that a sunburn on your butt is rather uncomfortable.)

The cost was less than $200k and taxes are about $2k/yr.
Hey Zym, it is great to see your posts again.

I know all about living where nobody can see you and doing nekkid chores

Which reminds me, mm, I will send you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine