Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,278 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but rarely, if ever, have I been around a dog that is as "perfect" as his owner believes. Dogs who supposedly "never" do X,Y, or Z....they DO IT!!! Posters comments about how dogs tear up a place is true...including all the "accidents" that occur and that dog owners sneakily 'overlook'. I'm not against dogs, in fact, there are many dogs I love dearly (mostly because their poor training doesn't get in the way of being able to interact very pleasantly and lovingly with them) it's just the reality of them. As one poster said, it takes consistent training + reinforcement...the average dog owner procrastinates about doggy training and discipline. In some ways, this is just human nature. I know, I've been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,453 times
I know I can disagree with you, which is why I have. I don't need your approval to do so, thank you very much. Having white walls and hardwood floors with a 130 lb Akita, I have experienced none of the above and he is almost 9 years old now. More damage to the floor has occurred from furniture and shoes. I keep his nails clipped quite short, and he does not run in the house. Having a double coat, shedding is always an issue, but nothing that a brush and some daily attention will not remedy. Paws are cleaned in the mud room before re-entry into the house, and his coat is always wiped down if wet. Sure, there will be dirt, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up immediately and permanently. If you're needing to re-paint walls because of your animal then you need to look into your own cleaning habits, or lack thereof...

Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 PM

278 posts, read 655,854 times
150lb Great Dane owner here. I can tell you that my kids make a MUCH bigger mess of my house than our dog. We have hardwood floors, and the dog is a non-issue as far as they are concerned, certainly no gouges. Unless your walls are painted with flat white primer, I can't see a dog getting your walls dirty. Again, my 4 year old boy will trash the house long before the Great Dane. Of course I wash the dog and cut his nails weekly, and brush his teeth daily, YMMV.

Having said all that, I wouldn't rent to someone with four dogs...

Last edited by riddei63; 08-13-2010 at 02:02 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,318,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I know I can disagree with you, which is why I have. I don't need your approval to do so, thank you very much. Having white walls and hardwood floors with a 130 lb Akita, I have experienced none of the above and he is almost 9 years old now. More damage to the floor has occurred from furniture and shoes. I keep his nails clipped quite short, and he does not run in the house. Having a double coat, shedding is always an issue, but nothing that a brush and some daily attention will not remedy. Paws are cleaned in the mud room before re-entry into the house, and his coat is always wiped down if wet. Sure, there will be dirt, but nothing that cannot be cleaned up immediately and permanently. If you're needing to re-paint walls because of your animal then you need to look into your own cleaning habits, or lack thereof...
If only renters would do what you do. But they don't.

Thanks for insulting me when I simply disagreed with you. I don't recall insulting you about anything. Sheesh! Another poster added to my IL.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Dogs are fine on property and in houses YOU OWN! Nowhere else! Not beaches, parks, festivals, fairs, homecomings,4th of July celebrations, food courts ,picnic areas, snack bars, state parks, beer festivals,
campgrounds, playgrounds, malls, restaurants, stores, and anywhere else you feel the need to drag your "best friend". Get a life...leave the GD dog home. We have rights too that don't include YOUR dog in our face or elsewhere!! If dog owners do not become more responsible I see a time in the not too distant future where they will be banned outright from all public places. You're doing it to yourselves by not taking responsibility for your dog! Don't cry when poochie isn't allowed anywhere.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM

603 posts, read 1,946,959 times
Wow didn't think Maine was such an anti dog state...hmm..Ive been to some houses that were a disaster...and the people didn't even have animals...I completely understand that a lot of pet owners are slobs but there are many many responsible owners out there,check references/previous landlords,visit where they live to see how it is kept.Not fair to turn people away because they have pets.I don't think i know anyone who doesn't have atleast one pet.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,544 times
I found some numbers here:

From U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics : The Humane Society of the United States
  • There are approximately 77.5 million owned dogs in the United States
  • Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog
  • Most owners (67 percent) own one dog
  • Twenty-four percent of owners own two dogs
  • Nine percent of owners own three or more dogs
  • On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
  • The proportion of male to female dogs is even
  • Nineteen percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter
  • On average, dog owners spent $225 on veterinary visits (vaccine, well visits) annually
  • Seventy-five percent of owned dogs are spayed or neutered
So you'd have to know how many households there are in Maine compared to the population to get an accurate estimate. But it seems to me that there are a lot of multiple dog owners out there. Especially now knowing that nine percent own 3 or more. I did not know that. Even though my sister owns 3 small dogs, it didn't occur to me that it was that common.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I found some numbers here:

From U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics : The Humane Society of the United States
  • There are approximately 77.5 million owned dogs in the United States
  • Thirty-nine percent of U.S. households own at least one dog
  • Most owners (67 percent) own one dog
  • Twenty-four percent of owners own two dogs
  • Nine percent of owners own three or more dogs
  • On average, owners have almost two dogs (1.7)
  • The proportion of male to female dogs is even
  • Nineteen percent of owned dogs were adopted from an animal shelter
  • On average, dog owners spent $225 on veterinary visits (vaccine, well visits) annually
  • Seventy-five percent of owned dogs are spayed or neutered
So you'd have to know how many households there are in Maine compared to the population to get an accurate estimate. But it seems to me that there are a lot of multiple dog owners out there. Especially now knowing that nine percent own 3 or more. I did not know that. Even though my sister owns 3 small dogs, it didn't occur to me that it was that common.

Good luck with your search.
Great let them BUY a house then they can have all the dogs they want.....and keep your lovely dog out of public places. I'm tired of dog owners forcing me to like their dog. I've had several dogs but never once did I live in a home with a dog that I did not own myself or owned by my family. I would not impose on a landlord like that. I also left my dog home when attending festivals, camping areas, picnic areas, fairs, or beaches. I realized that people there did not want my dog around them while they were trying to enjoy themselves. I do not understand why dog owners these days do not extend the same courtesy to the rest of us. Leave the GD dog HOME!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,318,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Not fair to turn people away because they have pets. I don't think i know anyone who doesn't have atleast one pet.
I'm sorry but you don't know very many people then. I know hundreds without any pets. But that is beisde the point here. If you own your own home you have the right to have as many pets as you want. If you rent, then it is up to the landlord to decide if he wants to take a chance in having his/her house damaged by a "pet".

When a person owns a property that they are offering for someone else to live in, it is emminently fair and legal for them to use their own standards as to what they will accept in the property. For example, I will allow one pet at my discretion, and with a pet deposit and potential loss of the one month up front rental deposit in my retirement house. It is also eminently fair that I exclude people who smoke from renting the house, since I do not wish to have the house burned down by careless smokers or smelled up by the smoke.

Anything that a landlord wants that might affect the quality or resale value of the piece of property he owns is fair. Your statement about what you believe is fair for some one else who actually owns a property that you do not own, who pays taxes on the property, who pays the insurance for the property, and who is probably paying the mortgage for the property is preposterous.

Other people have no ethical or legal right to tell me what is fair about who I rent my property to in any way where what they are doing could damage the property. It would be unfair and illegal if I rented only to Christians or only to married couples or nudists. None of these things have any effect on the property itself.

Zarathu

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,453 times
It pretty much comes down to how bad the landlord wants to rent out their 4 walls and a roof. Out west, there are so many vacant houses that landlords are falling all over themselves trying to find renters. One of the biggest marketing gimmicks is "PETS WELCOME!" These people are bleeding cash so profusely they'll take anyone. Unless Maine is "special" I wouldn't imagine it's that hard to find a rental which accepts animals. While I've owned my last two houses, I never had a problem finding one which accepted pets. I've never even had to give an additional deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine