Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I repaired my water saving showerhead with a 3/8" drill bit in the drill press. Works real nice now! I have also "repaired" water saving toilets so that they will flush.
Don't get me started on those abominable water saving toilets!

Not only did old fashioned toilets flush great, but they were simple, all makes and models pretty much the same inside, and so easy to fix when parts wore out.

And the first water saving toilet I had, used to spit at the user when flushed; one soon learned to stand to one side and to reach for the mop when flushing. What a disgrace!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:03 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Unless you have a emergency generator. I always keep a few gallons of water in old milk jugs down cellar just in case.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:47 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,133 times
that is a good advise. When we have our well set up, i ask the well person to use the biggest pressure tank available so we have more reserved water in the tank to flush, it does not work that way, no power no water period. what a wast of money plus the monster tank take up more floor space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Unless you have a emergency generator. I always keep a few gallons of water in old milk jugs down cellar just in case.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:57 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Does all this--not to mention a possible private septic system, too--mean I'll have to give up my thirty-minute showers?
If you have on-demand hot water you can take showers for hours without running out of hot water. Our septic system holds up to teenage daughters and their friends.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
I repaired my water saving showerhead with a 3/8" drill bit in the drill press. Works real nice now! I have also "repaired" water saving toilets so that they will flush.
Can you explain to my engineering department at work how to do that? The ones we have take 18 flushes to dispose of a single piece of TP. How exactly is that saving water?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Can you explain to my engineering department at work how to do that? The ones we have take 18 flushes to dispose of a single piece of TP. How exactly is that saving water?
The newer ones I can't do much about as the inner tank is designed to only hold .8 gallons or something like that. The older original .8 gallon water tanks were really a regular tank that had a plastic inner tank which held the .8 gallons of flushing water. It was an easy fix with a jigsaw to cut out the plastic inner tank and allow the whole tank to fill. The envrionazis caught on to that in a hurry.
We have a 18 flusher in the first floor bathroom (which I hate) and a trusty old 3 gallon one on the second. I will never part with the three gallon one and have rebuilt the innards several times. Your saving grace is you will be right across the border from Canada where there are no restrictions on toilet tanks and the 2 1/2 to 3 gallon toilets are readily available.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:19 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
The newer ones I can't do much about as the inner tank is designed to only hold .8 gallons or something like that. The older original .8 gallon water tanks were really a regular tank that had a plastic inner tank which held the .8 gallons of flushing water. It was an easy fix with a jigsaw to cut out the plastic inner tank and allow the whole tank to fill. The envrionazis caught on to that in a hurry.
We have a 18 flusher in the first floor bathroom (which I hate) and a trusty old 3 gallon one on the second. I will never part with the three gallon one and have rebuilt the innards several times. Your saving grace is you will be right across the border from Canada where there are no restrictions on toilet tanks and the 2 1/2 to 3 gallon toilets are readily available.
So, you're not able to buy the standard ones in Maine?

Ok, if that's the case, please get me a list of the other things the Prius drivers have killed off so I know to grab it from TN before we head up there to build our house. I refuse to live with a non-flushing toilet!

Old 08-18-2010, 05:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Building our new house, I was very hessitant to get a new toilet [due to the Federal laws on reducing their ability to flush]. Fortunately I mentioned this at the American Legion one evening and I was given an old toilet, it was made back when toilet were expected to FLUSH!

It does

btw I like the drillpress idea on the showerhead.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 AM

192 posts, read 394,309 times
Quote:
A great piece of advice!!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM

263 posts, read 626,065 times
I have both in different houses and lived in a house with well and septic for Years. Like the above posts. if its set up correctly, no problems, a newer house ( less the 15 Years ) is usually ok. Does the washing mashine suds go in the septic? they will kill the bacteria, however you can buy a bottle of product to counteract that at HD and pour in toilet every 3 month or so. loosing electicity will shut down your water ( no flushing...) as well as your sumpump if you have one, a real problem if water comes in the basement. Pressure is usually set at 45/55 PSI to work correctly. Its a good idea to have the water tested ( for free) never know what is underneath. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine