U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,562,862 times

Advertisements

We're still on the fence about going to the Fly-In. No one around here seems up for it. What happened to the bean hole beans they used to do? All I saw was a banquet in a hangar and a craft fair scheduled. Tell me it's still a good event for spectators and not just a pilot rally???
It's definitely popular ....hard to find a room near Greenville next weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,819,211 times
We've always watched most of the Fly In itself from the water, kept a boat at Beaver Cove Marina for a couple summers. There used to be a lot more going on in previous years, the place was always packed w/ fun people looking forward to a great fall like weekend. Where's dmyankee when we need him? I want the full list of events, the stuff only the locals know about, I heard that dmyankee is having a kegger!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
We've always watched most of the Fly In itself from the water, kept a boat at Beaver Cove Marina for a couple summers. There used to be a lot more going on in previous years, the place was always packed w/ fun people looking forward to a great fall like weekend. Where's dmyankee when we need him? I want the full list of events, the stuff only the locals know about, I heard that dmyankee is having a kegger!
Hard to find any Info. Their webpage has been down for a few days and the cached one does not list any events other than a memorial service for a Mr. Telford at Telford's Hangar on Saturday 9/11.
They used to do some fun things like water balloon drop at targets on the lake. Fire plane and helicopter demonstrations. Food booths and craft fair. Bean Hole Bean supper right down by the water. Antique float plane competition and that kind of stuff. There were planes landing and taking off all day long...it was fun!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:19 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,861,567 times
Things have changed just a bit through the years. This year, Telford died in a freak accident up near his Rockwood home last month. Dick Folsom passed a couple of years ago. The crowd is a large as ever, as well as pilot attendance.

I never get out to see much because I need to make a living but the masses are walking around town by the thousands if the weather is good. Everyone seems to have a good time and we get to meet a lot of friends we only see once or twice a year. There could be hundreds of planes parked at the airport and just as many out on the lake. I usually get out at first light to see the antique aircraft and maybe get a brief flight from someone I know, just to remember how vast and beautiful this region is, from the air.

seaplanefly-in.org

[SIZE=2]Thursday, September 9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 1:00pm Registration will begin at Stobie Seaplane Base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] One Shuttle Van will be running starting at 1PM.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 5:30pm Registration will be moved to the Katahdin Parking Lot[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6-9pm Katahdin Buffet/Sunset Cruise, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Entertainment by Dave Mallett[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] (Space for cruise is limited, early registration[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] suggested.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Friday, September 10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] 8:00am – all day [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Registration at the Stobie Seaplane Base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Shuttle Vans will be running[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Exhibitors set up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Poker Run[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Free day for flying and exploring the area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6:00pm Steak and Lobster Cook Out at Telford’s Hangar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Saturday, September 11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]7:00-9:00am Public Breakfast at the Masonic Temple, Pritham Avenue[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Shuttle Vans will be running [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Pilot’s Meeting, the time and place will be announced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 10:00am – all day [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Organized Fly Bys[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Activities at both the airport and seaplane base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Craft Fair in Downtown Greenville[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Afternoon Contests- the order of the contests has not yet been scheduled[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6:00pm Banquet at Telford’s Hangar, Greenville Airport[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sunday, September 12[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] 7:00-900am Public Breakfast at the American Legion, Pritham Avenue[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Time TBA Seaplane Pilot’s Association Breakfast at the Katahdin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 10:00 Completion of any contests not done on Saturday[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 12:00 Winner will be drawn in 50/50 Raffle[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Craft Fair Continues in Downtown Greenville[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]At 7PM on Saturday, September 11, the Allen Family will be holding a Celebration of the Life of Telford Allen. This will be held in Telford’s Hangar at the Greenville Airport and will feature remarks by Bob Bryan, a band for dancing, hor d’ouerves and a cash bar. You needn’t be attending the Fly-In in order to join the family in honoring Telford’s life. We hope everyone who would like to attend will be there.[/SIZE]

Old 09-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Things have changed just a bit through the years. This year, Telford died in a freak accident up near his Rockwood home last month. Dick Folsom passed a couple of years ago. The crowd is a large as ever, as well as pilot attendance.

I never get out to see much because I need to make a living but the masses are walking around town by the thousands if the weather is good. Everyone seems to have a good time and we get to meet a lot of friends we only see once or twice a year. There could be hundreds of planes parked at the airport and just as many out on the lake. I usually get out at first light to see the antique aircraft and maybe get a brief flight from someone I know, just to remember how vast and beautiful this region is, from the air.

seaplanefly-in.org

[SIZE=2]Thursday, September 9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 1:00pm Registration will begin at Stobie Seaplane Base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] One Shuttle Van will be running starting at 1PM.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 5:30pm Registration will be moved to the Katahdin Parking Lot[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6-9pm Katahdin Buffet/Sunset Cruise, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Entertainment by Dave Mallett[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] (Space for cruise is limited, early registration[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] suggested.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Friday, September 10[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] 8:00am – all day [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Registration at the Stobie Seaplane Base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Exhibitors set up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Poker Run[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Free day for flying and exploring the area[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6:00pm Steak and Lobster Cook Out at Telford’s Hangar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Saturday, September 11[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]7:00-9:00am Public Breakfast at the Masonic Temple, Pritham Avenue[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Shuttle Vans will be running [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Pilot’s Meeting, the time and place will be announced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 10:00am – all day [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Organized Fly Bys[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Activities at both the airport and seaplane base[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Craft Fair in Downtown Greenville[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Afternoon Contests- the order of the contests has not yet been scheduled[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 6:00pm Banquet at Telford’s Hangar, Greenville Airport[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sunday, September 12[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] 7:00-900am Public Breakfast at the American Legion, Pritham Avenue[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Time TBA Seaplane Pilot’s Association Breakfast at the Katahdin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 10:00 Completion of any contests not done on Saturday[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] 12:00 Winner will be drawn in 50/50 Raffle[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Craft Fair Continues in Downtown Greenville[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]At 7PM on Saturday, September 11, the Allen Family will be holding a Celebration of the Life of Telford Allen. This will be held in Telford’s Hangar at the Greenville Airport and will feature remarks by Bob Bryan, a band for dancing, hor d’ouerves and a cash bar. You needn’t be attending the Fly-In in order to join the family in honoring Telford’s life. We hope everyone who would like to attend will be there.[/SIZE]

Looks like fun to me!!!! Mermaid says you're hosting a kegger!!! True????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine