Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

I have a book hidden away somewhere, written by a dentist in the 1920's who went on a world tour looking for semi-secluded native tribes to look at their teeth. Just as European foods were making inroads into the diets of isolated tribes, he wanted to see the effects of the 'refined sugar and whitebread' diet [this was also the general time-frame of when measuring skulls and skull shapes was also a pop-trend among the medical community].

In his travels he was able to document, side-by-side siblings where one grew up 'in-town' [and on government hand-outs of food] and the other grew-up out in the boonies on native diet.

Consistently the dental 'arch' was narrower and smaller, meaning that as a child grew to adulthood their face failed to widen. Native diet adults had wider faces, which when looking inside showed wider dental arches which supported nicely spaced teeth. Modern diet adults had narrower mouths and over-lapping crowded teeth.

In his book he presents side-by-side photos of these people's with their mouths open. The evidence stands out clearly.

Family siblings side-by-side; on one side wide smiles with spaced teeth that were generally very clean. On the other side smaller mouths with the same number of teeth, but the teeth were crowded and over-lapping; and most often their mouths showed visible cavities and blackened spots.

He found that people's sinus' were smaller and restrictive in anyone on the modern diet.

In interviewing the tribesmen it was noted that the native diet adults had no sinus 'allergies', fewer colds, no memory of sinus issues. Whereas the modern diet adults had what was considered the average histories of allergies, colds and infections.

Along with the OP, I too 'like' whitebread. I 'like' BigMacs too. Though I know that our modern food is engineered to make us like it, to make us addicted to it. And as such it is not the best food for us.

Empty calories with far less nutritional value causes our bodies to develop differently from how our bodies would develop in the absence of refined foods.

And now we have obesity and diabetes running rampant in our society.

I think that our modern 'food's much like modern tobacco products have been messed with in a manner to make them more appealing to us, to coerce us into consuming more our health to be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM

71 posts, read 173,390 times
I'm not a crunchy granola, greenie health nut by any stretch of the imagination, but I do prefer whole wheat bread. I find it stays with me a little longer, meaning I don't need to reach for that afternoon snack anymore. Of course, I'm comparing it to a loaf of store bought white bread and not a homemade loaf.

I do agree that the choice should be ours to make and not foisted on us by those who think they're saving us from ourselves.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:43 AM

357 posts, read 1,018,849 times
White bread is the only way to make grilled cheese sandwich, with process American cheese, not those fancy cheese that does not melted properly.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I have always liked white bread, but I'm starting to like some other kinds too...but not from buying them in a store.

For quite some time I had been telling C that we ought to get one of those "bread machines" but I really couldn't come to grips with spending that much money, and she couldn't either. She hadn't said so but she was thinking that I'd never really use it and the money would be wasted.

A few months ago she found one at a yard sale. They only wanted $5 for it so she thought that was little enough to be worth the risk. Now I've started making my own bread.

I make a white potato bread that is good for toasting and sandwiches, and sometimes I modify it by adding some onions...though it doesn't always come out right because the onions add a little extra moisture and I haven't hit on a sure-fire way to account for that.

I also make a nice oatmeal bread with molasses. I use white flour and add some oats to it, and use molasses instead of sugar. I modify that one too sometimes by adding raisins and cinnamon. It's very good.

I think the bread is better, and, pound for pound, it's cheaper than buying bread in a store...and it really isn't all that difficult or time-consuming- the machine does most of the work. I can put it together in less time than it would take me to drive to a store to buy some. Plus, I can set it for a delay bake and get up in the morning to the aroma of freshly baked bread.

I've found that a lot of things are better when you roll your own.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Having met in person I'm about the last person you'd expect, huh? No nose ring and I go barefoot instead of Birks but the tat is explained in the unbleached, unbromated, high gluten, high protein with germ white flour I use for some of the bread I make. I went on vacation after I started using that flour and came home with a tattoo. And THAT folks, is why white flour is dangerous.

Shhhhh d*mmit! They'll outlaw flour because it's "bad" for us.

I can hear the stats now:

"9 out of 10 women exposed to unbleached, unbromated, high gluten, high protein with germ white flour during a 3 year study by the National Institute of Nagging and Senseless Worry, show positive markers for addiction to subdural ink deposits. Subdural ink deposits have been previously proven in extensive studies to cause precancerous nose polyps."

This of course will lead to higher health care costs for everyone.

Meanwhile, I'll concern myself more with the genetic modification of the wheat, and enjoy a decent white bread sandwich once and a while. I'll refrain from breads such as a certain name-brand because as near as I can tell, it's made of yeast, air, and something with the consistancy of cotton candy - yet is marketed as healthy. It's a wonder it holds together long enough to eat.

Last edited by cebdark; 09-05-2010 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: added

Old 09-05-2010, 09:50 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
hmmmm...I have only the tattoo so maybe I can still make white bread. You should learn to make bread. It's simple. Flour, water, yeast, salt. I add honey or molasses. Really, you should try it. The worst thing you can do is waste some ingredients.
It wasn't just a tat on these people it was a book printed all over them. Tats don't bother me. Just about everyone I know has one. Not 75. It's the combination of all the things I mentioned used to paint a picture of the stereotype I was attempting to show. Yes I was attempting to stereotype these poor folks. They look like they just rolled out of a dirty '60 hippie cult in California somewhere. The look I can live with, it's the "wholier than thou grain" attitude I could do without. There was a certain irony involved with this pierced, unshaven, unkempt, gypsy looking, back to the earther, preaching to me on what constitutes healthy living. I guess there are no mirrors in the Yurt!

Last edited by Maineah; 09-05-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
[quote=Maineah;15765186] The look I can live with, it's the "wholier than thou grain" attitude I could do without.[/quote]

Old 09-05-2010, 10:11 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have a book hidden away somewhere, written by a dentist in the 1920's who went on a world tour looking for semi-secluded native tribes to look at their teeth. Just as European foods were making inroads into the diets of isolated tribes, he wanted to see the effects of the 'refined sugar and whitebread' diet [this was also the general time-frame of when measuring skulls and skull shapes was also a pop-trend among the medical community].

In his travels he was able to document, side-by-side siblings where one grew up 'in-town' [and on government hand-outs of food] and the other grew-up out in the boonies on native diet.

Consistently the dental 'arch' was narrower and smaller, meaning that as a child grew to adulthood their face failed to widen. Native diet adults had wider faces, which when looking inside showed wider dental arches which supported nicely spaced teeth. Modern diet adults had narrower mouths and over-lapping crowded teeth.

In his book he presents side-by-side photos of these people's with their mouths open. The evidence stands out clearly.

Family siblings side-by-side; on one side wide smiles with spaced teeth that were generally very clean. On the other side smaller mouths with the same number of teeth, but the teeth were crowded and over-lapping; and most often their mouths showed visible cavities and blackened spots.

He found that people's sinus' were smaller and restrictive in anyone on the modern diet.

In interviewing the tribesmen it was noted that the native diet adults had no sinus 'allergies', fewer colds, no memory of sinus issues. Whereas the modern diet adults had what was considered the average histories of allergies, colds and infections.

Along with the OP, I too 'like' whitebread. I 'like' BigMacs too. Though I know that our modern food is engineered to make us like it, to make us addicted to it. And as such it is not the best food for us.

Empty calories with far less nutritional value causes our bodies to develop differently from how our bodies would develop in the absence of refined foods.

I think that our modern 'food's much like modern tobacco products have been messed with in a manner to make them more appealing to us, to coerce us into consuming more our health to be damned.
Interesting study. When I think about it I eat very little processed food. We make most of our own meals from scratch. We buy probably 5 pounds of sugar ( I like the sugar in the raw) every 6 months and half of that goes into an occasional pie or fudge at Christmas. We buy bread from the store. I like Country Kitchen Canadian White or OCCASIONALLY Bohemian Hearth wheat bread. Like Zymer we used to make our own bread with a machine three or four times a week when the kids were home. I haven't bothered with the machine in a few years. Yes I even made some wheat bread with the machine.
My favorite was the potato bread.....very good.... and the simple white bread was excellent. One thing I learned from making bread in the machine is it helps the bread to rise if you warm up the bread pan with warm water before you load the ingredients. Ours had a thick aluminum pan the cooled off quickly and heating it helped.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:38 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

Forest,

I've heard of that book.

If you ever come across it again, please send me the book's title and the name of its author, so I can track down a copy for myself.

I am wary of eating much of any food that requires cooking to be made edible and much of any food that requires great preparation beforehand to render it edible.

I figure that until recently (the last ten or twenty thousand years), when human population growth outstripped the supply of more easily pepared foods, there was little need to bother with the work of farming and with gathering little seeds to then pound and bake over fires that required the further work of gathering fuel for those fires.

So I figure our bodies may not have had time to evolve to adapt to foods requiring much preparation, and therefore such foods may be harmful.

Tooth decay is a perfect example of how we must be doing something wrong.

How could any life form evolve a means of ingesting sustenance so defective as to decay from eating food--unless the life form is not eating the food it was designed by evolution to eat ?

I know that sugar is bad for teeth, but I suspect other foods are as well.

Bread is one of the foods I suspect is bad for teeth.

And if a food is bad for teeth, it is possible it is bad for other aspects of your health, aspects that take more time to become evident, thereby blurring the connection between cause and effect, between the unhealthy food and the health problem it causes.

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 09-05-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 01:47 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Just recently visited doctor. Told me to change my diet. He talked about what a good breakfast would be. Including whole grain bread, no white bread. He said that's just candy bread.

I like white bread. Even if it is just candy.

Then he said to just get on the south beach diet.

Then another nurse told me to go vegetarian.

I don't like having my eating liberty taken away from me. This is america. I should be able to eat what I want and be a burden on our aging society just like most of the population.

Ok, maybe I'll just test the waters and see what this "whole grain" business is about. If it will make me whole again, I'm all for it. The markets out here have gone wild with different types of bread though. It takes me 5 minutes within my shopping time now just to pick my bread. It used to take me 5 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine