Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 09:38 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,576,666 times

Advertisements

Could it happen in Maine? Yes, indeed. If we had not salvaged the spruce in 1988 to 1990 it would have happened in Maine.

The environmental industry sued to prevent beetle killed trees from being harvested for salvage and to prevent forest fires in Colorado. The courts sided with the environmental industry despite past experience and testimony from professional foresters. This is the result. It will happen with increasing frequency because now it is too late. If we started today we could not harvest the trees as fast as they die.

YouTube - time lapse night shot boulder forest fire

After it loads, click on the bottom right for full screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:46 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,857,274 times
Environmentalistknow better (they think) and courts are stupid enough to go along. When stationed in Jersey the forest service (I think) wanted to do controled burns year after year. But the tree huggin', granola eatin', trust fund, environmentalists would stop them, sometimes in the courts. For many years they all wound up fighting out of control forest fires in the pine barrens around Whiting. Good thing we have so many people looking out for our best interests.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,438,886 times
Good thing this topic was brought up. I always figured that the precipitation in Maine would be an inhibiting factor when it came to fires, but there is always the issue of a drought year. When we build it will be in a sizeable clearing. I wasn't too worried about trees around the place till this topic was raised. Now, I am. Thanks for the heads up, NMLM!

Old 09-11-2010, 06:59 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,079,128 times
I guess they just need an Old Guide to show them the right ways. ;-)

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Good thing this topic was brought up. I always figured that the precipitation in Maine would be an inhibiting factor when it came to fires, but there is always the issue of a drought year. When we build it will be in a sizeable clearing. I wasn't too worried about trees around the place till this topic was raised. Now, I am. Thanks for the heads up, NMLM!
I have been looking into external fire detection/suppression systems. They detect the heat from an external source and spray a fire retardant foam onto the exterior of the house. I have trees well within the danger zone should there be a wildfire (less than 20 feet away) so I am somewhat concerned.

I'm also considering a water storage tank in the event of a house fire, but I don't know what should be used to protect it from freezing that won't cause additional damage or hazard inside the house if I should need to use it.

I doubt that our volunteer FD would get here in time to save anything but the foundation. That's not a slight to them, just acknowledgment of reality. I'm almost the last house out of town and the delay has to be factored in- it's not like a municipal department where you have a whole crew sitting around waiting to be called. (Which reminds me, I need to get my fire extinguishers refilled. I used them to put out a chimney fire which I was lucky enough to discover while it was still in its infancy.)

I need my chimneys cleaned too. I was going to do it myself but when I started slipping and sliding on the second story metal roof I got too scared to continue. I'm getting a little too old to take another fall from a height like that, I don't heal as quickly as I used to.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM

625 posts, read 787,087 times
First thing I would is hire someone to clear the trees back further. A suppression system is always a good idea if your close to trees simple water and sprayers mounted around the home to cover the area will be fine. Getting into foam and other fire suppressors can get not only expencive but a pain in the rear plus most of those systems are a one shot deal IE you see fire you push the button and it all over that is all that it does where as water IF you have a good well and supply will last as long as you can power the pump. A generator should be on the list of any self supporting home.

As for you chimney get a good local person to do it and have them come EVERY year to keep it clean. A good sweep will put you on there list and call you every year to set up your appointment.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
First thing I would is hire someone to clear the trees back further. A suppression system is always a good idea if your close to trees simple water and sprayers mounted around the home to cover the area will be fine. Getting into foam and other fire suppressors can get not only expencive but a pain in the rear plus most of those systems are a one shot deal IE you see fire you push the button and it all over that is all that it does where as water IF you have a good well and supply will last as long as you can power the pump. A generator should be on the list of any self supporting home.

As for you chimney get a good local person to do it and have them come EVERY year to keep it clean. A good sweep will put you on there list and call you every year to set up your appointment.
LOL, I'm not cutting the trees. The trees were one of the reasons I liked this place. Ya, I know, like an extinguisher, the suppression system would have to be recharged after use, but I think I'd rather do that than have to build a new house.

I may have to get someone else to do the chimney sweeping if I can't figure a way to do it myself. I had a full-blown chimney fire once and it scared the snot out of me.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 PM

37,262 posts, read 61,008,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
First thing I would is hire someone to clear the trees back further. A suppression system is always a good idea if your close to trees simple water and sprayers mounted around the home to cover the area will be fine. ...
In some areas of this nation such systems are illegal.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 19,483 times
Wow, what a sight. Boulder is where I grew up at.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,031,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Environmentalistknow better (they think) and courts are stupid enough to go along. When stationed in Jersey the forest service (I think) wanted to do controled burns year after year. But the tree huggin', granola eatin', trust fund, environmentalists would stop them, sometimes in the courts. For many years they all wound up fighting out of control forest fires in the pine barrens around Whiting. Good thing we have so many people looking out for our best interests.

EarthFirst Mourning Loss of a Tree - Crying & Screaming - YouTube

take a gander of these enviro-fruitloops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine