Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,129 times

Advertisements

I could go to a gardening site to ask this but knowing there are a few knowledgeable gardeners on here I thought I'd ask here. What do you guys/gals do with your compost for winter. I have a bin 3/4 full that I plan on emptying and just pile the material in my garden area and spread/use it next spring.

And does anybody compost in winter? How do you do it? Just throw it in bin and let it freeze? Don't want to attract critters such as raccoons and such. Last winter all my good kitchen stuff went to the landfill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Just continue to dump it in. It will decompose/compost when things warm up in the spring.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:38 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
You shouldn't have to worry about this. Just bring it here and I'll take care of it for you. Or tarp it to keep snow and rain off it if you don't want to spread it. I dump my excess on top of the pile and cover it to keep the blue jays out of it. I vermicompost too.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You shouldn't have to worry about this. Just bring it here and I'll take care of it for you. Or tarp it to keep snow and rain off it if you don't want to spread it. I dump my excess on top of the pile and cover it to keep the blue jays out of it. I vermicompost too.
Huh? 'Splain please. I know I probably ought to do the compost thing but I don't know much about it yet.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
It's composting with worms. I lose all interest in adding to the compost pile when the snow is deep.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I have my compost bin right off the back deck so it isnt a chore to get to it in the snow....I just keep adding to it all winter and let it freeze up ...... it starts working in the spring. I just brought home a large bag of corn husks ..... I asked the produce guy at hannaford what they were doing with the husks that people leave when they shuck the corn in the store....He was more than happy to give it to me...... I cut it up a bit and added it to my bin.....I expect it will take some time to decompose....but it was such an easy supply of organic material. But will probably be spring before it really starts to "work".

Old 09-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It's composting with worms. I lose all interest in adding to the compost pile when the snow is deep.
LOL, worms. OK, I get it now. I was thinking 'vermi-' vermin- rats. I thought maybe it was a joke I wasn't getting.

I have plenty of worms here. Would they get involved all on their own? Or do they require some sort of 'encouragement'?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,129 times
Thanks for all the good ideas. I'm going to try all of them... except the worms(:.
I have about 20 Maple trees in a lawn-type area so I cut up/mulch the leaves and pick them up with a lawn sweeper and dump in piles in my woods. Makes good compost supplement. I'd much rather deliver them to Maine Writer though, as my woods are filling up.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
LOL, worms. OK, I get it now. I was thinking 'vermi-' vermin- rats. I thought maybe it was a joke I wasn't getting.

I have plenty of worms here. Would they get involved all on their own? Or do they require some sort of 'encouragement'?
It's a worm bin that you keep inside (like in the basement..) where you throw your kitchen scraps for them to work up.

I am sure there are lots of info pages on the 'net...

Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
It's a worm bin that you keep inside (like in the basement..) where you throw your kitchen scraps for them to work up.

I am sure there are lots of info pages on the 'net...
Lacking a real basement, or an attraction for dumping odoriferous detritus in one, I think that is all the information I need to know.

Thanks for the info.

(I used to be one of the first to point at Google, but with a max of 26k dial-up (on a good day), research is tedious at best and often highly frustrating should I be able to connect at only 6k-9k so a short piece of info like this is appreciated. If there is one thing I miss, it's my 20 megabit fiber-optic broadband.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: