U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,246,628 times

Advertisements

Great article on line today at USA.com.

"Population drop-off vexes Maine residents"
Population drop-off vexes Maine residents - USATODAY.com
Check it out!

Apparently "Maine's median age (half are younger, half are older) is 42.2 oldest in the USA." Scary thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:05 AM

30,652 posts, read 49,332,625 times
I realize that my perceptions may not agree with everyone else; however they are still my perceptions.

Both of our sons are out of state for work.

We moved to Maine above the 42 line ourselves. Since living here we have come to know others who have likewise moved to Maine; and they are overwhelmingly over 40.

From my perception of things younger people tend to leave Maine, and older people tend to move to Maine.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,391,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Great article on line today at USA.com.

"Population drop-off vexes Maine residents"
Population drop-off vexes Maine residents - USATODAY.com
Check it out!

Apparently "Maine's median age (half are younger, half are older) is 42.2 oldest in the USA." Scary thought!

Scary thought, but nothing new.

Younger people who are willing and able to start and run their own business may do okay, but those who punch a time clock need to secure work that is full-time, pays above minimum, and provides benefits.

It really is that simple IMHO.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:33 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,695,861 times
Funny article, in that it completely misses the point. The Camden area has lost several employers over the last few years, the latest being a large bank operation there.

Here is the bottom line: The people follow the jobs. When you have the least business friendly state in the country, you have to expect that the businesses are going to avoid Maine like the plague, and they do.

So what’s left: a small sustaining population that have jobs and their families, the welfare bunch, and the retirees (soon to be me). Hence the declining and older population. When your kids have to leave to find work, your state has a problem.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM

9,768 posts, read 14,914,214 times
Must be a slow week at US News and World Report. This is not news in Maine. However, it may be news for much of the nation.

There is work in Maine for anybody with versatility and initiative. Many manufacturing jobs with 40 hour weeks and full benefits have left the state. Our unemployment rate is high as the folks who held those jobs adapt to their changed circumstances. The key words are adapt and change. People ask me what id do for a job. I don't have a job. I have some jobs. On Friday I took aerial photos of wind power sites, planned a building site for a home and did some writing.

Don't let gloom and doom forecasters get you down. I strongly believe that Maine is a much better place to ride out the coming economic storm than some city or suburb.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:35 AM

325 posts, read 615,996 times
Sad but true, that article is. There is so much competition for the few jobs that are here, it's not funny. I was sent an email this morining by a temp agency for a position and when I replied(45 minutes later)they had all the people they needed.

I am over 40 so I fit the profile.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

7,101 posts, read 8,120,754 times
We didn't even think about moving anywhere else till both of us were past 60 (just a few years ago). Yet, we both still work down here in RI, saving for the move, not quite ready yet. It does not surprise me in the least that those who need to work would not head for Maine.

It makes a lot of sense that those planning to retire would consider moving to Maine. If you don't need a job, nothing could be better! Maine has it all...nature, wildlife, scenery, hunting, fishing, winter sports, summer sports, low crime, lots of rural acreage, city amenities when they are needed, and yes, as NMLM pointed out, safety and isolation from the urbanites who may well express their unhappiness at the economic train wreck coming this way, with violence.

Now that's a scary thought that we all should ponder!

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,600,331 times
I would love to know the state that is hiring all these people that are leaving.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM

218 posts, read 534,300 times
Well over 200 comments when I read it, many sounding as if they were made by completely ignorant people.

And, it was in USA Today.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,433,108 times
We were born and raised here. We've seen comparitive poverty all of our lives. My Cousin from California said he could never live here as it's "too depressing." I'll take Maine over Southern CA any day.
Our kids have no intention to live here now. One is in Burlington and the other is in school in New York. They plan to work elsewhere and perhaps buy some land in Maine at some point.
We're not going anywhere. I job around here and there like most Mainers. The ability to do alot of different things is the key to finding work in Maine. If you don't need much in life it doesn't cost much to live. We don't have the newest of everything but what we have we own. House included. We use wood and put food by in bulk for the winter(not as much as we used to when the kids were here). I still try to get a deer every year or so and we'll eat that. It helps. You can live fairly frugally (taxes are high here) and have all you need. If you need more you're living in the wrong state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine