Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:23 AM

393 posts, read 982,051 times

Advertisements

We don't have much in the way of full-time neighbors where we live (only 1, in fact - the rest are camps) and since we're new here I didn't know what to expect for Halloween. So I bought 1 package of Hershey miniatures just in case the neighbors down the road would come. My husband was delighted because he was sure they wouldn't come and he would be the sole beneficiary of the chocolate!
At 8 pm we got a knock on the door - the neighbors! 3 little kids dressed in costumes with their mom. We invited them in, showed them the toys, chatted with the mom for about an hour (until now it had been just a polite wave or hello).
The next day, another knock: the dad with 2 of the kids. The little girl (first grader) had made us peanut butter cookies and attached a crayoned illustrated note with a drawing of our dog and this poem: "Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you!" (she added: "and you can keep the tray - it came from the Dollar Store!")
The dad said bashfully, "Well... my kids are excited... we've never had neighbors before!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:39 AM

476 posts, read 748,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
We don't have much in the way of full-time neighbors where we live (only 1, in fact - the rest are camps) and since we're new here I didn't know what to expect for Halloween. So I bought 1 package of Hershey miniatures just in case the neighbors down the road would come. My husband was delighted because he was sure they wouldn't come and he would be the sole beneficiary of the chocolate!
At 8 pm we got a knock on the door - the neighbors! 3 little kids dressed in costumes with their mom. We invited them in, showed them the toys, chatted with the mom for about an hour (until now it had been just a polite wave or hello).
The next day, another knock: the dad with 2 of the kids. The little girl (first grader) had made us peanut butter cookies and attached a crayoned illustrated note with a drawing of our dog and this poem: "Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you!" (she added: "and you can keep the tray - it came from the Dollar Store!")
The dad said bashfully, "Well... my kids are excited... we've never had neighbors before!"
What a cool story! It's great to have nice neighbors, and I'm sure you'll both share some very pleasant time together. The little ones sure sound excited!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
You know you are in rural Maine when your neighbor takes his old brown Christmas wreath and sprays it with green paint from Marden's. "Cheaper than buying a new wreath y'know."

Old 11-02-2010, 08:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
What a cool story! It's great to have nice neighbors, and I'm sure you'll both share some very pleasant time together. The little ones sure sound excited!
Big mistake...now they will want to borrow everything and never return it and the kids will be over there constantly. I caught our new neighbor dumping leaves on our side of the road yesterday. Just wait until I fire up the leaf blower!!! They'll get them all back and then some!!! Good fences make good neighbors!!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 AM

123 posts, read 297,287 times
leaf mold will improved the soil, good gift from the neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Big mistake...now they will want to borrow everything and never return it and the kids will be over there constantly. I caught our new neighbor dumping leaves on our side of the road yesterday. Just wait until I fire up the leaf blower!!! They'll get them all back and then some!!! Good fences make good neighbors!!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
...when it's not a big deal to have a bull moose in your back yard except that the puppy hadn't seen a moose yet and DH didn't know what she was going to do.

...when someone hears peeping at the post office, finds the box sitting by the door and says "I'll take these to Robin on my way home..." This year it was a box of chicks and ducklings and then a box of chicks. "That one in the corner there don't look good but the rest are ok!" One was a camp owner I'd met only in passing who was on his way to camp. Nice way to meet good people! Another works a few miles from here and went out of her way to bring them over. Then they come back weeks later to see how big they babies are getting. You can't tell the post master you're taking someone else's mail to deliver and walk out of the post office/gift shop/general store where you can pay your town taxes and register your vehicles, or buy a lottery ticket, bait, bread and beer and know that it's ok. Try that at the Bangor Post Office! Betcha you can't get bait, bread and beer there.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Speaking of post offices, I mailed a package before Halloween for my great-nephews up in Mass. But I forgot my wallet. The lady in our little country post office "floated me a loan" for $4.95 (priority mail, don'tcha know) until I came back with the cash.

Wouldn't get THAT service in downtown Providence!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
...the post office/gift shop/general store where you can pay your town taxes and register your vehicles, or buy a lottery ticket, bait, bread and beer
You must be referring to this place.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yes but can you tag a deer there too??

Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Yes I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes but can you tag a deer there too??
Yes you can! Before you get to that point you can buy your license there too. And get your mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine