Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,810 times

Advertisements

Okay here's a question that keeps coming to mind.

What the heck is a boiler? GO ON and have your laugh. LOL. I've heard of swamp coolers in AZ, milk doors in MI where I'm from (too long ago to have the cold experience built up. LOL) and now this mysterious boiler. Tell me of this boiler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Default maine brokerman tarastom and mollysmiles and others

I just can't thank you enough for your generosity of spirit. Here's what happens. I read what you say, it gets me going and I'm off in search of more reasons to move to maine and trying now to talk others into doing same.

But, it does keep me from replying which I have more to say. But the boiler kept coming up and I was dead curious what the heck?? I'm used to having to keep a tap open or putting blankets on the car engines or a heater underneath a pipe in NC (family does that actually not me) but this boiler thing has me wondering.

I'm calling on some places and making some moves and plans. Some of us are ready to go NOW. Others are very hesitant. If we keep putting it off we'll never get out of freaky Florida. LOL.
Don't get me wrong, I love FL. I'd probably love a LOT of places now because they're all in FL and it's too crowded here by far.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:07 AM

9 posts, read 31,100 times
A boiler is nothing more than a type of furnace to heat your house. In Florida most people have heat pumps because of the need for air conditioning and heat. Although they are now making a low temperature heat pump that would work fine in Maine most places are forced hot air furnaces or boilers. Boilers heat water "boil" and then the heated water circulates through radiators, base boards or radiant "in floor" systems to discharge the heat throughout your house. It gives a more steady and constant heat then a forced hot air furnace. I hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:12 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Many woodstoves also have a water-tank in them to heat water.

When we lived in Scotland some of our fireplaces had copper tanks in the chimneys to heat water.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:45 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
I just can't thank you enough for your generosity of spirit. Here's what happens. I read what you say, it gets me going and I'm off in search of more reasons to move to maine and trying now to talk others into doing same.

But, it does keep me from replying which I have more to say. But the boiler kept coming up and I was dead curious what the heck?? I'm used to having to keep a tap open or putting blankets on the car engines or a heater underneath a pipe in NC (family does that actually not me) but this boiler thing has me wondering.

I'm calling on some places and making some moves and plans. Some of us are ready to go NOW. Others are very hesitant. If we keep putting it off we'll never get out of freaky Florida. LOL.
Don't get me wrong, I love FL. I'd probably love a LOT of places now because they're all in FL and it's too crowded here by far.
a boiler usually means (hwbb) hot water baseboards,,,which mean hot water goes thru baseboard pipes in the house..it circulates from the boiler, thats usually in the basement or cellar, a hot air FURNACE usually means,,it blows hot air thru vents in the house.
radiant heating usually means,,,the heat is coming up from the concrete flooring, can be pipes under the concrete,,,
my brother has an outdoor,,,wood-furnace,,that he ran piping under most of his foundation, works very well,,
a monitor heater, usually works on kerosene,,tho can run from other petro's
propane heat is gaining in popularity, tho expensive ( for a hot air furnace)
woodstoves, come in a wide variety of styles and sizes, you can also have a remote controlled "gas" or propane woodstove, these are not real, but look real and takes the chill off, these are usually more decorative, than used for primary heat source.
i think forest mentioned peat/coal pellets or combo woodstove, these work very well and efficiently (the newer ones)
woodchips are also gaining in popularity for woodstoves..
fireplaces,,,are more decorative than functional,,you still see them in older homes,,and of course newer homes, (altho i have a remote controlled (press a button on a clicker)propane fireplace, with a vent, that works well,,takes the chill off,,not a primary heating source.
having the sun come thru your windows in the wintertime,,is also used for free heat,

im sure there are plenty of other heating sources out there,,,folks are using,,,just wanted to throw out some different heat sources, that we mainers take for granted we all know around here,,but yet ,,not used in the warmer climate states.

i just replced a boiler(furnace) last year, total cost was 3500, with a brand new boiler,, i had estimates up to 8,000

Old 07-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Default beekeeper

I have a very worn copy of mother earth (I believe) wherein there is a HUGE discussion of the various wood stoves and their hardiness. I have been eager to try one ever since. Frankly it sounds easier than what we use here: electric. Like once you have the trick down you will be able to cook very efficiently.
I wanted to thank you also for your time. I KNOW I will have many questions for you. Once you all lure we helpless dreamers to maine than yall disappear back into the forest, right?? LOL !! Just kidding. It's all I talk about now. I want to go tomorrow. You know once you make up your mind it gets very easy. I WOULD like to NOT move in the winter so that will likely mean putting it off until a bit in the future but I'm eager.
anyway, thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Many woodstoves also have a water-tank in them to heat water.

When we lived in Scotland some of our fireplaces had copper tanks in the chimneys to heat water.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM

duiji and mainebrokerman --_THANKS. Very thorough. I'm now better able to assess properties. Wow, a # of things will be different and how cool is THAT??
I'm on the darn slow laptop again so ... I'll save my answers for tomorrow. I really can't thank yall enough for all the wisdom and knowledge>>>

Old 07-18-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
... I WOULD like to NOT move in the winter so that will likely mean putting it off until a bit in the future but I'm eager.
anyway, thanks for your help.
It took me many trips up to Maine to find a home land and even HOW to buy land in Maine. I have moved on average every three years [from 1977 to 2001], I have owned homes on both coasts and overseas. Finding the right home in Maine and buying it was a completely different experience for me, then any other property that we have had before.

You do not need to move right away. Just come up and visit. Spring, summer, fall, win-tah; who cares when.

Portland is so totally different from the rest of Maine, and you really need to give yourself the chance to explore each area to find the right fit.

You have GOT to see the Unity fair. It is GREAT!

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Common Ground Fair now 30 years old

Is this the fair to which they refer??

Well, this is your OWN fault. What is so different about buying land in maine? Do you refer to mineral rights or some such? No rush in answers. I love the place. I have visited twice but not looking for a home, just bedazzled. I am thinking more along the line of coming once looking --- BUYING --- moving.
I'm ready. LOL.
I've lived in the same place all of my life, almost.
When you're done -- you're done.

Every day my lil one says .... "Mama, when we move ...." he's REALLY eager to see and live in the snow. Of course I know that it's not all fun and games but he has had this fixation for about four years now so we're about to scratch several itches and just up and go. It's not like we'll be too bad off ---we can always RUN if yall prove to be scary or something. LOL.
As well, I'm looking hard at the colleges. Everything I want is easy to pop right into.
But, I've noticed in ads that they say some things I am unfamiliar with. I'd appreciate (of course) ANY information.
People say that as long as you have money in your hand you'll always have a place to live but I do not believe that is the case.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Well with each home that we have bought previously, there were mortgage brokers, and our realtor dealing with their realtor, and delays, and then the escrow which took forever, and office folks calling for this statement to be re-worded, or quick run down and sign some other statement of intent, bahhh!

In Maine, I met the sellers. They handed me a list of properties that they wish to sale with their asking prices. I asked a few questions about each property. I went out to each property that I was interested in. I walked the property lines, and later called them directly with any questions that I still had. When I had decided on which property that I liked the most, I gave them my offer on the phone. They accepted on the phone. They offered to do the deed transfer themselves for free. I asked to have a lawyer to handle it instead, they suggested a local lawyer that they had used before. I called that lawyer, he said that he was already in receipt of the seller's deed, and he asked a few personal questions about me so that he could fill out the county paperwork. I mailed the lawyer the money. And he mailed me my copy of the deed, the county recording receipt and the title insurance.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine