U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

It looks like I may have a possible career move that will have my family and I moving to Maine. We are looking at the North Berwick area. Any advice or info that can be provided would be very helpful.
Also, Since we live in South Carolina, any helpful tips on what we need to prepare for would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:00 PM

116 posts, read 156,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1321 View Post
It looks like I may have a possible career move that will have my family and I moving to Maine. We are looking at the North Berwick area. Any advice or info that can be provided would be very helpful.
Also, Since we live in South Carolina, any helpful tips on what we need to prepare for would be helpful. Thanks
My brother left Maine a few years ago for S.Carolina.
Be prepared for sticker shock and a higher cost of living. Be prepared for long cold snowy winters. Be prepared for that 6-8 weeks in late-winter/early spring when the snow has melted off the sled trails, the skiing sucks, the ice on the lakes is unsafe, but there is still 3' of snow in your yard and you can't do anything else but wait for it to melt.

Make sure the pay raise justifies the increase in housing,taxes, and COL.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,712,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1321 View Post
Winter coats, mittens, hats, warm boots, snow tires are helpful, studded are best if you have never had much practice driving on ice and snow. Keep a blanket, water and a flashlight in your car in the winter incase you get stuck. Keep the gas tank full as it fights off condensation in the tank making the use of dry gas less necessary. Front wheel drive is good. Four wheel drive is better if you find you must travel much in snow storms. No school announcements for winter storms are carried by the local TV and radio stations. Find a place to rent or buy that has a secondary heat source or a buy a back up generator. Don't run the generator in the house. Don't buy a home with Tyvek under the siding as it will never hold paint in Maine. Fuel oil is the #1 heat source in Maine and is getting pretty expensive. Figure this into your budget. Most Maine homes have a cellar to accomodate heating equipment. Don't use a hatchet or an axe to remove an ice dam from the roof. You will ruin the shingles. A roof rake works well to keep dams from forming. Bridges freeze first and become covered in "black ice" faster than the roadways. The current term used for a snowmobile is snow machine or just sled. Don't eat mussels from the beach or attached to any pilings. The green crabs are inedible, lobsters are best tasting in late June but have more meat per pound in the winter. Wear flourescent orange in the woods during November, hunting is not allowed on Sundays in Maine,deer and moose are active at night and cause numerous vehicle accidents, Moose are especially dangerous to hit. Excise tax on newer cars is quite high in Maine, blackflies come out in May around Mother's Day. Mosquitoes arrive in June. Ben's 100% DEET fly repellent works well on both. Fiddleheads are around in May as well. Blueberries are July and August. Maine has five seasons with "mud season" stuck between winter and spring. The biggest selling liquor in Maine is Allen's Coffee Brandy. Maine law allows you to purchase one case of (tax free) wine per month from out of state. Fireworks are illegal in Maine. Verizon seems to have the best cell phone coverage in Maine. The local teams are the Portland Pirates...for Hockey, The Portland Sea Dogs for Baseball and the Maine Red Claws for Basketball. Professional teams are the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, The Boston Bruins, and Boston Celtics. Don't admit it to anyone around here if you are a New York Yankees fan.
The largest "city" in Maine (Portland) has only 60,000 people in it.

That should get you started.

Last edited by Maineah; 11-15-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,088,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
Be prepared for long cold snowy winters.
Learn to shovel snow and drive in it, 1" of snow is all it takes to overwhelm the flatlanders where I live now, where it causes people to wreck their cars and have heart attacks simply by clearing the driveway. Every winter is a reminder to me that no buckeye could ever survive in Maine, when I first came to Ohio as a kid and we had a minor snowfall that caused school to be cancelled I was in disbelief.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
My brother left Maine a few years ago for S.Carolina.
Be prepared for sticker shock and a higher cost of living. Be prepared for long cold snowy winters. Be prepared for that 6-8 weeks in late-winter/early spring when the snow has melted off the sled trails, the skiing sucks, the ice on the lakes is unsafe, but there is still 3' of snow in your yard and you can't do anything else but wait for it to melt.
Make sure the pay raise justifies the increase in housing,taxes, and COL.
This is when the Allen's Coffee Brandy comes in handy.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Professional teams are the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots and Boston Celtics.
You forgot the Bruins. When I came to Ohio as a kid I was also the only one that had their own ice skates and the only one that knew who Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr were. This was before cable TV and Eastport only got two TV stations, both Canadian.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
You forgot the Bruins. When I came to Ohio as a kid I was also the only one that had their own ice skates and the only one that knew who Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr were. This was before cable TV and Eastport only got two TV stations, both Canadian.
You're right what a moron I am!! I fixed it! Thanks! I grew up with my ear glued to a transistor radio in bed listening to the Bruins!!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You're right what a moron I am!! I fixed it! Thanks! I grew up with my ear glued to a transistor radio in bed listening to the Bruins!!
I was just glad that the WBZ signal reaches SW Ohio, it's really hard to be a hockey fan here where the ECHL team has won the Kelly Cup in 2010 and 2008 only to be ignored by the local news media that lavishes attention on an NFL team with a tradition of losing.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,225,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
And Derek Sandereson would go over the glass to get the puck back. Hockey Night in Canada on CHSJ.

Actually, usc1321, Berwick is goiong to be a lot different than Charleston. But you won't have to wait to get around a horse drawn carriage packed with tourists all summer long. The climate and the shrinkage of the city to town life is the biggest thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM

420 posts, read 659,586 times
wow, Maineah should be on the Maine Chamber of Commerce payroll. Great information.
The comment about Tyvek and paint retention.....never heard that one before, but wouldn't doubt it one bit. Wouldn't think that would pertain to vinyl siding, though, but???
Been hearing a lot of negative comments about Tyvek type house wraps lately. I used it on my new garage and now wish I would have used good ol' tar paper, like we used to.

And I too, remember (the good ol' days) up in Lubec when we only had Canadian TV. (:
BTW we get WBZ at night way over here in Northern Wis.

Anyhow, I think Mainah's post merits the making of a copy. Maybe a sticky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine