U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-04-2012, 03:43 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,550,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandano View Post
Yes, I have lived in it for 7 years. It is a small city, and I do NOT wish it to become too big, like with corporate skyscrapers and NIKE buildings like Seattle, but I do wish that it had better transportation, something along the lines of the original tramways that used to be here. I like the history of Portland, the Grand Trunk Railway, the freights that used to go around the peninsula and on to Montreal. I was actually strangely delighted when they opened the historic freightline back up between Montreal and Bangor. Portland really has a lot for New England, like the Rigby Yard in South Portland is the largest rail yard in New England. The Portland Company for instance is very interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Company

That’s My Dump!
I always enjoyed the Grand Funk Railroad better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 9,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I always enjoyed the Grand Funk Railroad better.
You probably dont know the history of Portland. Sorry for bringing it up. Sink back into your abyss of Maine non-reality.

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:45 AM

782 posts, read 374,742 times
Quote:
You probably dont know the history of Portland. Sorry for bringing it up. Sink back into your abyss of Maine non-reality.
He was joking with you. Grand Funk Railroad was a famous rock group from the late 60's.

Unread 05-04-2012, 12:20 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,752,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
He was joking with you. Grand Funk Railroad was a famous rock group from the late 60's.
He probably doesn't know the history of Rock. It's a shame he missed out. Darn good group.

As for nice towns, we love waling around Boothbay Harbor. Nice little place. I know; too touristy with all the sweaters tied around their owners necks.

Unread 05-05-2012, 02:39 AM

1,002 posts, read 752,511 times
Except for Portland, aren't they all quaint LITTLE towns? Quaint--having an old-fashioned attractiveness or charm; strange, peculiar, or unusual in an interesting, pleasing, or amusing way (dictionary.com)

portlandano is waiting for Portland to provide appropriate bus stops/shelters....bus stops other than quaint Greyhound (which didn't have specially built bus stops in most ME towns, btw) and quaint New England towns don't seem to go together....Greyhound bus stops were often restaurants. I don't think they minded the extra business and the florist won't either.

Unread 05-05-2012, 09:46 AM

9,165 posts, read 8,791,602 times
Let's not forget about Cabot Cove, now that's a quaint maine town- it's some kind of wonderful, yes it is

Unread 05-05-2012, 12:25 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,752,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Let's not forget about Cabot Cove, now that's a quaint maine town- it's some kind of wonderful, yes it is

I like that; a little Grand Funk thrown in for flavor. Nice tie-in.

Unread 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM

661 posts, read 325,877 times
The OP might be getting closer to her home with this question.

Unread 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,550,888 times
It's a bad time to be in love ... with decent bus shelters if you live in Portland.

Unread 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM

4,236 posts, read 2,263,225 times
Quote:
Yes, I have lived in it for 7 years. It is a small city, and I do NOT wish it to become too big, like with corporate skyscrapers and NIKE buildings like Seattle, but I do wish that it had better transportation, something along the lines of the original tramways that used to be here. I like the history of Portland, the Grand Trunk Railway, the freights that used to go around the peninsula and on to Montreal. I was actually strangely delighted when they opened the historic freightline back up between Montreal and Bangor. Portland really has a lot for New England, like the Rigby Yard in South Portland is the largest rail yard in New England. The Portland Company for instance is very interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Company

That’s My Dump!

"So come on, come on do the Loco-motion with me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine