Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRioux13 View Post
What town to you fits the definition of a true New England town? I am looking for a quaint town with a cute main street with shops, coffee houses a diner etc., with all the Maine charm.
Gosh how do you choose one? I love Bar Harbor! Then if you move inland, there are so many of them. I use to live WAAAAY up North in Aroostook County and think that Houlton was to me a super quaint New England town. You should come on down to Connecticut as we too have quaint New England Towns. We have Durham, Madison, Middlefield, Cheshire, Salem, Haddam, East Haddam and so many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:01 PM

399 posts, read 854,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Rockland has a cute little downtown.
Hallowell too.
Ellsworth is nice too.

Years ago I went to Dexter and thought is had the potential to be incredible with all the cool old brick shops with apartments over them downtown.Haven't been back since but it could really be fabooooo.
Dexter is resurging as a great little town with restaurants, motels, and a new organic food store right in the downtown area. They still won't allow a McDonalds or any big box stores which would create some good jobs for the residents but they have specific reasons for that.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

48 posts, read 123,736 times
Dexter, Dover-Foxcroft, Skowhegan, Bingham, Monson, Bangor, Machias, Calais, Farmington, Houlton, Deer Isle, Stonington, Winter Harbor, Belfast. Maybe Van Buren and Fort Kent.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:06 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I thought that was Sherman?
Filmed in Camden. Can't vouch for what may go on in Sherman...

Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennybenny View Post
Dexter, Dover-Foxcroft, Skowhegan, Bingham, Monson, Bangor, Machias, Calais, Farmington, Houlton, Deer Isle, Stonington, Winter Harbor, Belfast. Maybe Van Buren and Fort Kent.
Aren't some of those cities?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 20,738 times
Portland is the true blue New England town. It has all the quaint New England controllishness that you've come to expect in New England, including bad public transportation and almost total lack of bus stop shelters.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
Too bad they can't get LL Bean to provide free public transportation from at least June to September.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Default winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Too bad they can't get LL Bean to provide free public transportation from at least June to September.
What about during the winter? I live here all year round. September the fun is just starting. I actually don't mind the cold, but I respect good organization, and frankly Maine doesn't have the organization worthy of being "England" anything, much less "new". The British are at least organized: They have public transportation over there.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandano View Post
Portland is the true blue New England town. It has all the quaint New England controllishness that you've come to expect in New England, including bad public transportation and almost total lack of bus stop shelters.
Portland is also the biggest city that our state has.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Portland

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Portland is also the biggest city that our state has.
Yes, I have lived in it for 7 years. It is a small city, and I do NOT wish it to become too big, like with corporate skyscrapers and NIKE buildings like Seattle, but I do wish that it had better transportation, something along the lines of the original tramways that used to be here. I like the history of Portland, the Grand Trunk Railway, the freights that used to go around the peninsula and on to Montreal. I was actually strangely delighted when they opened the historic freightline back up between Montreal and Bangor. Portland really has a lot for New England, like the Rigby Yard in South Portland is the largest rail yard in New England. The Portland Company for instance is very interesting:

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Company[/url]

[url]http://www.thebollard.com/bollard/?p=6405[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine