U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,304,482 times

Advertisements

Hi there. The Bailey Island Bridge thread got me to thinking about some of the other ones I've driven over and how my feelings about them might compare to yours. I'm in Vermont and most of our bridges are little wishy washy things that might stretch a few hundred feet over a river. There's one on I-91 north of White River Junction that seems a few hundred feet (I'm totally guessing) off the ground, but that's our biggie.

In Maine, I've driven over the Piscataqua River Bridge, the old Carlton Bridge at Bath and the Deer Island Bridge, all of which put a little flutter in my heart. I guess I'm wondering if any of these do the same thing to you - or what other ones might make you feel just a wee bit antsy? I honestly don't mind driving over bridges like these. They're kind of exhilarating and I am a cautious driver. But then I'm only there once a year. Got any favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 AM

18,307 posts, read 23,450,631 times
Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Observatory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here's a new bridge (above) the old one is still beside it, and that was a white knuckle ride going over it.

The deer island bridge- I breath a sigh of relief every time i make it over- it's about 80 years old

here is a list of maine bridges on the national historic register

List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Maine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,011,936 times
Bridges never bothered me a whit. I always enjoyed the view. My favorite (even though it's old as Methusala) is out of state: Tappan Zee bridge in NY. Great view and long. The new Penobscot River bridge is a nice one but I've never been to the top. Maybe next year. Must have a spetacular view. The bridge betweeen the traffic circles in Augusta (Memorial?) was a greast walk across each time. Stupid fence cuts the view though.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:31 AM

18,307 posts, read 23,450,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Bridges never bothered me a whit. I always enjoyed the view. My favorite (even though it's old as Methusala) is out of state: Tappan Zee bridge in NY. Great view and long. The new Penobscot River bridge is a nice one but I've never been to the top. Maybe next year. Must have a spetacular view. The bridge betweeen the traffic circles in Augusta (Memorial?) was a greast walk across each time. Stupid fence cuts the view though.
yes, its the memorial bridge- the fences were constructed to curb the suicide jumps

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,011,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yes, its the memorial bridge- the fences were constructed to curb the suicide jumps
I used to walk that bridge going from Court Street to the end of the Cony Extension where a friend of mine lived. Of course, that was back when I was a teenager and had some energy. It was fun looking over the side.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:36 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,433,108 times
It's not on the coast but the bridge over the West Branch of the Penobscot at Abol Campsite (Abol bridge) has THE nicest view of Katahdin in Maine IMHO!

Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 PM

5,865 posts, read 6,296,708 times
This is the FDR bridge from Lubec ME to Campobello islad taken from over 2 miles away in Eastport.

This is the Waldo-Hancock bridge over the Penobscot river.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,742,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Hi there. The Bailey Island Bridge thread got me to thinking about some of the other ones I've driven over and how my feelings about them might compare to yours. I'm in Vermont and most of our bridges are little wishy washy things that might stretch a few hundred feet over a river. There's one on I-91 north of White River Junction that seems a few hundred feet (I'm totally guessing) off the ground, but that's our biggie.

In Maine, I've driven over the Piscataqua River Bridge, the old Carlton Bridge at Bath and the Deer Island Bridge, all of which put a little flutter in my heart. I guess I'm wondering if any of these do the same thing to you - or what other ones might make you feel just a wee bit antsy? I honestly don't mind driving over bridges like these. They're kind of exhilarating and I am a cautious driver. But then I'm only there once a year. Got any favorites?
The Deer Isle Bridge is built to the same or very similar design as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington--which famously and spectacularly collapsed in 1940, four months after being open to the public

See video of its last moments here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zcz...eature=related

The Deer Isle Bridge encountered problems with the wind, too, but apparently the engineers added extra support to the bridge later on, which must be working because the bridge still stands (and underwent an overhaul about a year ago, although that might just have been a new paint job).

Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,258,420 times
I don't remember a year when they weren't "overhauling" the Deer Isle-Sedgwick bridge! (And I'm sorry to get my panties in a bunch over it, but the inhabited island that sits in Penobscot Bay is Deer Isle, not Deer Island.)
I don't have any problem with that ^bridge, but the Penobscot Narrows makes me nervous! I want more of a guardrail/barrier! Haha.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 PM

16,830 posts, read 11,769,807 times
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3041/baileyislandbrdge1small.jpg (broken link)

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/103/baileyislandbridge1smal.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine