Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Armpits of Maine-

Lewiston, Biddeford, Sanford, and Augusta
Sad but true. Maybe it's because these are the areas with the highest concentration of welfare recipients. It's not necessarily because there is no economy in these towns, it's because the majority of the people living there get better provisions from the state!!

Old 08-25-2006, 06:49 AM

42 posts, read 176,990 times
To Markandrain: We did the same thing before we moved here. I thought I researched thoroughly all the towns in which we looked for houses. After I made an offer on our new place, I found out that one was moved in across the street. He has a family, includung kids, and his crime was against an adult. As a mom, that makes me feel slightly safer. I also found out that the entire town (very small and rural here) watches his every move, and people seem to think he'll move on soon. Let me tell you this, though...the ones listed on the state offender registry are just the ones that have been caught.You still don't know exactly who your neighbors are.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 23,974 times
Hi All,
I live in Auburn Maine. I am very happy here. We have offenders that live around us. I do have to say that they are watched very carefully in my neighborhood. We have lived in our current house for almost eight years and have not had a problem. Hope this helps

Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 13,527 times
I've lived in Lewiston, it wasn't a pleasant exp. Auburn was a bit better, and if you could get out just a bit further, say like Poland area, it's very quiet and nice.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM

86 posts, read 482,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsalmighty View Post
I've lived in Lewiston, it wasn't a pleasant exp. Auburn was a bit better, and if you could get out just a bit further, say like Poland area, it's very quiet and nice.

I would definately agree with this statement, however it is a different experience. If you like living in a city atmosphere, Poland won't cut it. Lewiston will. Comparatively, Lewiston's crime rate is not really high. There are areas that you wouldn't want to walk around at night. That doesn't mean you are going to get mugged. It means you are going to encounter intoxicated, loud, obnoxious types there. If you enjoy being around punks, than you wouldn't need to avoid these areas. You would quickly pick these areas out. These are the same areas that ALL cities have.
Yes, Auburn and Lewiston have a higher rate of sex offenders. That is because sex offenders who get released from jail generally look to rent. The highest number of rentals are in the cities. Lewiston is a nice city that is getting "nicer". They are really working to make it a great city, and I think it is working. If you want to live in a smaller town, Poland (and many others) is great. If you like a city, Lewiston is really nice.
Just my opinion though.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,568 times
Hello, just wanted to add my two cents. We moved up to Lewiston (from Mass.) five years ago...my husband was born and raised in Lewiston.

I have met and made more friends here than I ever had the opportunity to in Mass...I have four kids ages 15, 6 and 4 year old twins...the area that we live in is on the outskirts of Lewiston. While I wouldn't want to live in the downtown area (rental properties and lower income levels,) I just absolutely love our neighborhood! My oldest can hang out with her friends and walk around to each others' homes, even after dark and I am confident that they are safe. There are lots of families here and some older residents as well.

The schools have been terrific and I am completely impressed with the Lewiston High School - my daughter is a sophomore. I was surprised with the curriculum and she will be well-prepared for college.

That being said, you really have to pay attention to the neighborhoods anywhere and look around before you make a commitment to buy. We got our 30 year old home (in very good condition,) for just about $100,000 five years ago now - it was in forclosure so we made out!

It is so much better here than Worcester, where we were living - the cost of property and the size of our yard is just so much better - we couldn't afford nearly the same sized yard or quality of house down in Massachusetts!

I feel like I have been living here my whole life and plan to stay put...we love it! By the way, some people say that Auburn is a better place to live but the high school leaves much to be desired, so I've heard.

Good luck making your decision! :-)

Old 09-08-2006, 08:36 PM

3 posts, read 19,530 times
Lewiston is undergoing White Flight,like 5 other communities in the state. Waterville,Portland,Skowhegan,Sansford,and Bangor are the other four. Avoid these areas as they are the Trenton NJ, Lawrence Ma. communties in Maine's future.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 7,509 times
Default Lewiston can be safe

Just like any city, Lewiston can be safe. I have lived all over the united states, doing comparisons. I live downtown, and if i HAD CHILDREN, i WOULD NOT SUGGEST THIS AREA. Just like most small cities or big, in general..downtowns can be a bit alarming...I have to deal with the junkies and prostitues on a nightly basis...But never have I been mugged or beaten...Its almost like they have a little bit of respect for people
But I do see the children in the area fighting, and being neglected. It is a sad area for that. But on the outside of downtown the neighboorhoods are quaint, crime free, and very neighboorly. I work with the homeless, and in this field I have learned alot about the desolate street life.Treat people with respect rather they be homeless, black, white, pink hair, black hair,etc. and 9 times out of 10 you will get the respect in return.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 AM

423 posts, read 1,924,817 times
Most things in Lewiston just seem old and run down- that is why it gets a bad reputation more than anything else. Many of the buildings look like they desperately need repair, just like the city in general needs a make-over. Crime is probably relatively reasonable compared to big cities, but it does have it's problems. There are definitly good aspects like Sam's Italian Sandwhich shop, Bates college and The Maineiacs.
I would not consider Augusta an "armpit" of Maine- it is a nice place.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 22,154 times
If your comparing Lewiston to New York I think that you would find Lewiston much safter. However, when your looking at Maine- Lewiston is one of the less safe areas. As mentioned previously there is a history of more vandalism, graffiti, squealing tires, rowdy neighbors, and drugs than in most of the other Maine towns. There are nice areas in Lewiston just as there are in other towns. What is it about Lewiston that is drawing you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine