U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 9 days ago)

10,774 posts, read 10,620,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The Legal Somali immigrants have a better chance here in many cases. Yes, in many African and Middle Eastern countries these barbaric (in my eyes) procedures are perfomed under horrible conditions. Let's practice what we preach here at home and stop this procedure from being performed on baby boys before we start condemning. It's not anything I support but it is a part of their culture and can only be erradicated through education and example.
msina,,im no doctor, but a circumcision on a baby boy,,is cutting off some extra skin,,,no big deal,,,(unless the dr. hand shakes and he misses)
but the female circumcision,,,,cuts out the umm,,well,,you know,,,
seems much more severe,,,than cutting off a little extra skin on a male,,

i believe the case he was making,,is that woman in many countries are treated like dirt,,yet we hardly hear anything from the ,,feminists and female advocacy groups,,

i do respect other nations and culture,,but this country has a bad habit of eating its own,,ripping apart, tearing down traditions of our own (example, christmas)
we seem to go the extra mile as to not "offend" anyone,,(unless you are christian)

Old 08-25-2007, 11:35 AM

7,712 posts, read 7,686,679 times
Point taken. Yes it is quite differant and the women in these areas of the world are usually nothing more than chattle. I am familiar with the differant degrees of female circumcision. To break the tradition these immigrants need education and assimilation or we may see what the U.K. has been experiencing with the families of girls hiring someone from their home countries to come to them and perform these horrific procedures in their new homes. I do see any form of genital mutilation as unecessary and cruel. Guess it's a personal thing (may have something to do with having grandsons), but I do see the slipping away also of men/boys advocacy as well. We as a culture (not you or I in particular) have focused on those considered minority (including women, one of which I am) that boys and men now seem to get the short end (pun intended) of the stick. Again IMHO only.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,428,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i do respect other nations and culture,,but this country has a bad habit of eating its own,,ripping apart, tearing down traditions of our own (example, christmas)
we seem to go the extra mile as to not "offend" anyone,,(unless you are christian)

I couldn't agree more!

Old 08-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Status: "You cant have any pudding if you dont eat you meat" (set 9 days ago)

10,774 posts, read 10,620,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Point taken. Yes it is quite differant and the women in these areas of the world are usually nothing more than chattle. I am familiar with the differant degrees of female circumcision. To break the tradition these immigrants need education and assimilation or we may see what the U.K. has been experiencing with the families of girls hiring someone from their home countries to come to them and perform these horrific procedures in their new homes. I do see any form of genital mutilation as unecessary and cruel. Guess it's a personal thing (may have something to do with having grandsons), but I do see the slipping away also of men/boys advocacy as well. We as a culture (not you or I in particular) have focused on those considered minority (including women, one of which I am) that boys and men now seem to get the short end (pun intended) of the stick. Again IMHO only.

msina,,i see female mutilation as a form of torture,,,,if the happy button is removed in a woman,,,most woman,,,couldnt be able to achieve,,well, you know,,
the same cultures that treat cows as sacred, treat woman like dirt,,i just have a difficult time with that,,

the circumcision of a male,,is a whole different ballgame,,than that of a woman,,

if i were a legislature,,,,,id make any female genital mutilation against the nations laws,,and who-ever was performing them,,would be sent to jail,,,

ya know,,maybe im a bit naive,,but i dont understand,,that,,,,in the past 50 yrs in our own culture,,we've been promoting womans right,,,and i believe its worked,,,,yet we embrace a culture of female torture,,?????? and treating woman like doormats?? wtf??

Old 08-26-2007, 01:14 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,344,884 times
if i were a legislature,,,,,id make any female genital mutilation against the nations laws,,and who-ever was performing them,,would be sent to jail,,,

If I'm not mistaken, the practice is illegal in this country. Federal law forbids it, as do at least 17 of the 50 states. It may often be performed by unqualified individuals. Infections leading to illness and even death can result, victims often do not seek treatment for various reasons.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,010 times
Default How far is Lewiston Me. fi

WHAT IS THE MILEAGE FROM LEWISTON TO bIDDEFORD.Maine

Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,750,209 times
We don't do mileage in Maine, we do time. It'll take you just over an hour depending on where in Biddeford and which route you take.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:40 AM

8,748 posts, read 11,388,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
We don't do mileage in Maine, we do time. It'll take you just over an hour depending on where in Biddeford and which route you take.
That's about a two beer ride! Three to four on Friday afternoons!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,750,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That's about a two beer ride! Three to four on Friday afternoons!
Okay, we also use increments of certain liquids to measure distance also. Occasionally we measure with pee stops too.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,004,871 times
I prefer to measure by coffee collattas AND pee stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine