U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM

31 posts, read 60,615 times

Advertisements

I also moved from Montana to Maine, and it is similar in some ways, not in others.
One thing I will say, if you think vehicle registration in high in MT, you will be in shock here. Ever hear of a car inspection? I miss just paying a small amount for registration and no inspection, in MT. But it is what it is.

There is more "government" here in Maine, in general than MT in my opinion. Income tax is a bit high.

But it is nicely wooded here, and people in Maine are much more accepting and friendly than in MT. They're used to being invaded by people from MA, maybe? I don't know, a better attitude in Maine I think. In MT people are still very angry about the invasion from CA and WA (and rightly so)....but it wasn't as live and let live as Maine seems to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,356,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
Yeah Jager is hunter in German.

I will only live in States that support the Constitution and 2A/RKBA and Maine and Vermont even have the same written into their State Constitutions. Maine also has preemption of gun laws and prohibits ammunition bans or gun bans; NH looks like a pro gun State as well and that is good as more States should follow suit.

I have been in the Marine Corps, lived at Sea and on the Rock as well as lived on the coast and like the Sea alot as well as the woods and so Maine seems like it would be ideal and one of the larger States in the East and is alot like MT in alot of ways besides being smaller and on the Ocean.
Sounds like there are many parts of Maine you will feel right comfortable. However, there are other places, including much of the coastal areas which tend to be more liberal in viewpoint than you might find enjoyable.

I wouldn't go so far as suggesting that the interior is fredom loving and the coastal areas are not....

Old 12-22-2010, 08:41 AM

145 posts, read 136,010 times
There aren't too many jobs here, because there aren't that many people. I noticed that the unemployment rate is actually lower here than other places lately. There weren't a lot of jobs here to be lost, so maybe that's why we have a lower rate.

This place can only support so many people with the industries it has.

There doesn't seem to be much new stuff happening, so I can't see much more hiring happening any time soon.

Maybe when the baby boomers decide to cash out and move up here there will be some flurry of building, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

There seems to be some stuff happening around Brunswick, so maybe that would be a good area to look into if you are thinking of moving to Maine.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM

21,886 posts, read 28,732,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
... Maybe when the baby boomers decide to cash out and move up here there will be some flurry of building, but I wouldn't hold my breath. ...
I am a baby-boomer, I moved to Maine and built a house; I see no reason why other baby-boomers would not do likewise [except that Maine appears to be a hidden secret].

Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM

6,310 posts, read 8,171,944 times
"Yeah Jager is hunter in German."

I didn't know that. I knew it in Norwegian. Same word.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 AM

8 posts, read 8,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainme View Post
I also moved from Montana to Maine, and it is similar in some ways, not in others.
One thing I will say, if you think vehicle registration in high in MT, you will be in shock here. Ever hear of a car inspection? I miss just paying a small amount for registration and no inspection, in MT. But it is what it is.
There is more "government" here in Maine, in general than MT in my opinion. Income tax is a bit high.
But it is nicely wooded here, and people in Maine are much more accepting and friendly than in MT. They're used to being invaded by people from MA, maybe? I don't know, a better attitude in Maine I think. In MT people are still very angry about the invasion from CA and WA (and rightly so)....but it wasn't as live and let live as Maine seems to be.
That works for me, yeah I am not sure what the semi unfriendliness or horrible driving skills are about in MT however you may be right.

Vehicle registration and renewal is very high in MT and have never paid that high anywhere else including insurance rates which are also exorbitant and that is with a clean driving record.

What kind of car inspections are you talking about, exhaust fumes and such, how often is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Sounds like there are many parts of Maine you will feel right comfortable. However, there are other places, including much of the coastal areas which tend to be more liberal in viewpoint than you might find enjoyable. I wouldn't go so far as suggesting that the interior is fredom loving and the coastal areas are not....
Hmm, actually never suggested anything of the sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine