Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2007, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 9,984 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for information on the single gauge trains that ran thru Randolph in the 30's. For example, where were all the stops? Did it ever cross the river and go to Hallowell?
I'm asking these questions for my mom, Loretta French and her sisters Ethel and Edith. We having a little reunion and trying to sort some things out.
Beth (daugher of RichardKidder/LorettaFrench)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 AM

307 posts, read 1,589,400 times
Default train museums

Hi,
I see you didn't get any answers to your question. Although I don't know either I would suggest calling one of the train or trolley museums in Maine. They are also running a single gauge railroad around Portland now I think and workers there may know how to find the answer. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,435 times
Do you mean a narrow gauge train? If so, contact the Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railway Museum in Alna. Someone there might have information for you.

WW&F Railway Museum

(207) 882-4193

Also, there is the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport.

Welcome to the Seashore Trolley Museum - Kennebunkport, ME

(207) 967-2712

Postal Address

Seashore Trolley Museum
Post Office Box A
Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Street Address

Seashore Trolley Museum
195 Log Cabin Road
Kennebunkport, ME 04046

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,398 times
As to a railroad's gauge (or "gage") which is the measurement between the rails, there were the rails of the Kennebec Central Railroad and the Maine Central. The Kennebec Central or "KC", ran from Randolph to the Soldier's Home at Togus. The KC was a narrow gage railroad with 24" or two feet between the rails. The Maine Central railroad line through Gardiner still exists, although not as an active line at this time. It is a standard gage track with measurement at 4' 8 1/2" between the rails.

One of the steam locomotives that operated on the Kennebec Central is now undergoing restoration at the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum in Alna, Maine. The W.W. & F. Ry. Museum is a two foot or narrow gage railroad and open to the public.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i lived in farmingdale ,,,a town between augusta and gardiner,,,along the kennebec river (almost across the river from randolph)
the tracks still run along the kennbec,,on the hallowell, farmingdale, and gardiner side of the river,,,,but i dont know of any in randolph,,i thought i saw a train tressel bridge crossing(saw a very old picture) the kennebec from chelsea (next town over to randolph) to hallowell,,,,,but the great flood of 1936 wiped it out,,
im no expert,,but think i heard something along these lines ,,years ago..

Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,275 times
Default trailman

Hello. I am the presedent of the "Freinds of the Old Narrow gauge trail" which is a group that is working to re-establish the walking nature trail that runs along the railroad line of the Kennebec Central railraoad in randolph Maine. I will try to answer your questions about the railroad. The Kennebec Central or KC operated from 1890 to 1929. It ran from the rivers edge in randolph to the Veterans home at Togus. the total length of the run was five miles. there was a collection of buildings to house the equipment at various locations and a station built at the rivers edge in Randolph near where the old gardiner randolph Bridge used to be. There are still remnants of the building structures that can be found. Mostly just concrete pieces. The trail to togus is still open and walkable most of the way. A few area are flooded from time to time beacase of the beaver activities. The rail line never crossed the Kennebec river. In fact it ran away from it in a North, Northeast direction straight to togus. You may contact me fmi. Link to the trail at the town website at randolphtown.gov. thanks, Dan Albert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine