U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 AM

34,195 posts, read 11,412,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I LOVE IT!!!!! Great song elston!!! That should be the Maine State Song replacing the Maine Stein Song!!!! Thanks for posting it!!!
I'll have to sing it down at my shack tomorrow night (except I'm on the Androscoggin) He a smelt is a smelt they won't care!
Hey Androscoggin will fit in just fine.....maybe better! Glad you liked it Maineah!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Real estate on the ice is getting tight this winter. I had someone put a portable ice house only three feet from mine today. I always wonder why people feel they have to be so close they can listen to my radio.....maybe that's why. Heck I'd buy them a portable radio if the move away a few more feet!!! It's not like there isn't room there's about 3/4 of a mile of ice down there.
Let's just say there is a certain privacy factor missing when neighbors get too close. I don't like being able to hear their conversations and certainly don't want them listening to mine. Hopefully being a portable ice house they will be gone when I go down there tomorrow. I like neighbors but they should at least leave room for me to get my sled past them.
Where has smelting etiquette gone?

There must be a LOT of people unemployed this winter. It used to be myself and one old timer down there every day at 4:00 PM. Now the parking lot is full at 3:00 PM and the boys are well on their way to a good party buzz by 4:00 PM. With all the hootin' and hollerin you'd think it was Saturday night and this was Monday afternoon!
Not much for smelts anyway so maybe I'll haul off early this year.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:25 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,082,312 times
Quote:
Real estate on the ice is getting tight this winter. I had someone put a portable ice house only three feet from mine today. I always wonder why people feel they have to be so close they can listen to my radio.....maybe that's why. Heck I'd buy them a portable radio if the move away a few more feet!!! It's not like there isn't room there's about 3/4 of a mile of ice down there.
Let's just say there is a certain privacy factor missing when neighbors get too close. I don't like being able to hear their conversations and certainly don't want them listening to mine. Hopefully being a portable ice house they will be gone when I go down there tomorrow. I like neighbors but they should at least leave room for me to get my sled past them.
Where has smelting etiquette gone?

There must be a LOT of people unemployed this winter. It used to be myself and one old timer down there every day at 4:00 PM. Now the parking lot is full at 3:00 PM and the boys are well on their way to a good party buzz by 4:00 PM. With all the hootin' and hollerin you'd think it was Saturday night and this was Monday afternoon!
Not much for smelts anyway so maybe I'll haul off early this year.

Come on... they already did the sequel to Grumpy old men...

Old 01-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Come on... they already did the sequel to Grumpy old men...
This is the threequel! I think I could be less grumpy if I had Raquel Welch and Ann Margaret to go fishing with me!!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
This is the threequel! I think I could be less grumpy if I had Raquel Welch and Ann Margaret to go fishing with me!!
Sophia Loren...

Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 1,330,139 times
I thought I smelt sumthin'.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Sophia Loren...
I prefer Ann Margaret.....it's my movie!!

Old 01-27-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
I prefer Ann Margaret.....it's my movie!!
I'd go with Raquel, since she wasn't in the other films. Always nice to give some one else a shot at stardom.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 4,940 times
Wink Where have all the smelt gone ?

Jan. 30 2012
I use to live in Mass. and I would drive up to Dresden Maine and go smelt fishing . I would give anything for Smelts . I live in Florida know because of health. I have been trying for years to buy some Fresh Smelts . Lord do I miss those fish .The fresh cucmber smell on your hands after catching them .They are the only fish that I know of that does not taste like fish.After you have had them laying around for a while , they will smell like a fish. Is there anyone out there ,that knows where I can buy them and have them shipped down to me in North Port Florida . I have been in contact with Harbor Fish co in Maine. They are waiting for some to come in for me . No luck so far. [b]At all most $6.00 a lb (whole) plus a hefty $75 shipping charge .It is still worth it

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-31-2012 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: please do not post your e mail addy here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: