Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
LOL!
I guess I would just have to get myself a gun too! Or maybe put that funny sticker on the door that says: I have a gun! Oh wait...
I never had to use it knock on wood, but I had it handy one afternoon when the police chased a stolen car to the end of our dead end road and the perps took off in the woods toward our house! The police informed us of what was going on and we watched the back fields for signs of the theives. They caught them about 1/2 a mile from here with a tracking dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:10 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I never had to use it knock on wood, but I had it handy one afternoon when the police chased a stolen car to the end of our dead end road and the perps took off in the woods toward our house! The police informed us of what was going on and we watched the back fields for signs of the theives. They caught them about 1/2 a mile from here with a tracking dog.
Good for you Maineah, and God bless you!
I does sound a bit like my neck of the woods. but I guess here that's an everyday occurrence. I do mean "everyday" - right now, as we speak I can hear at least 3 different police sirens somewhere in tinsel town, not to mention the daily helicopters with those search lights pointing right down at my street at least twice a week...By the way where were those crooks from? I hope they'll spend a lot of time with their other buddies enjoying each others company

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Good for you Maineah, and God bless you!
I does sound a bit like my neck of the woods. but I guess here that's an everyday occurrence. I do mean "everyday" - right now, as we speak I can hear at least 3 different police sirens somewhere in tinsel town, not to mention the daily helicopters with those search lights pointing right down at my street at least twice a week...By the way where were those crooks from? I hope they'll spend a lot of time with their other buddies enjoying each others company
They were actually from Massachusetts. We get that up here now and then. Massachusetts has a crime problem and we get the spill over with drugs, robberies and car thefts. They figure us bumpkins are easy targets.
I have a cousin out your way. He lives in Simi Valley. He stayed here for a few weeks a couple of years ago and really liked it. He's urbanized now and probably would go nuts living here full time but he thought it was wonderful that the family (wife's parents) have 30 acres of field behind our house and another 70 acres of woods. He just loved to get up early and take off in the woods with our dog for an hour or two. Where he lives people have a hard time telling one house from another and a big back yard is 30X30 feet! His biggest complaint was no Mexican food and no good hot sauce!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

326 posts, read 433,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
They were actually from Massachusetts. We get that up here now and then. Massachusetts has a crime problem and we get the spill over with drugs, robberies and car thefts. They figure us bumpkins are easy targets.
I have a cousin out your way. He lives in Simi Valley. He stayed here for a few weeks a couple of years ago and really liked it. He's urbanized now and probably would go nuts living here full time but he thought it was wonderful that the family (wife's parents) have 30 acres of field behind our house and another 70 acres of woods. He just loved to get up early and take off in the woods with our dog for an hour or two. Where he lives people have a hard time telling one house from another and a big back yard is 30X30 feet! His biggest complaint was no Mexican food and no good hot sauce!
Oh boy...I can understand that lol!
I'm going to the opposite direction though. Perhaps because I'm older (and dare I say...wiser?!). If I were married, I would love to buy a property like that. I absolutely love the woods! But for now I think 70 acres would be to isolate for an older single man by himself. Maybe things will change in the future...we'll see

Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Oh sure, Gangsta Queen!

If all else fails, blame the Canadians to protect your evil empire. LOL
LOL! I was actually thinking about alcohol coming across with the American 19 year olds, but hey, that works!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:17 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Does anyone know where CD gets it's crime data and how each agency reports their crimes? If the CD stats are coming from the annual government report I *think* they mandate how each agency reports them. IE, if you go to a theft call (which is why Calais is so high) at a construction site, is the deputy making a report for each stolen item or is he doing a single report that includes all of the stolen items. By reporting each individually (which could make life a bit easier for the person entering info into NCIC as they only deal with a single item, single report at a time and don't get lost / confused on where in the report they are) the stats will be skewed. It will show that there were say 28 thefts that day, when in actuality there was only a single theft of multiple items.

I've also heard that if you have a prison in your town it will skew your sex offender stats because they now 'reside' in your town and get included in your statistics.

The assaults look high, but when you consider it could be bar fights or teens at school..........kind of explains that. I'd do more research into the local newspapers for any fights going on that are not alcohol or school related.

What I always looked at was the murder, rape and robbery. You can't fudge those numbers. And those are the violent crimes you worry about. All three categories are zero.

I know when our ComStat reports came out, each LT from each district had their own ways of skewing those stats so they didn't look quite so bad to the community, or more importantly to the sheriff himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine