U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,959,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Take maximum advantage of what you have. In a dry summer, work in areas that are normally wet without disturbing the ground. In a wet summer, paddle some streams you can't paddle every year. Mainah covered the snowless winters. We may be into a normal one this year. Take bragging photos and Christmas card photos for those years when you can't. It's just a month past Christmas right now and we are less than half way into winter.
NMLM's cup is always half FULL. Do what you can when you can. I like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM

21,876 posts, read 28,700,485 times
NMLM - good post!

RMoore- Whether it is half full or half empty; I figure that when a glass gets to about half it is time to ask the barkeep for another round.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,959,204 times
Good point FB.

Now in keeping with the OP, no, it is not cold enough for me back out here in the waste, west. But just cold enough where I need a liner in my motorcycle riding jacket. So sorry riders of the east. Spring weather will be here soon for you I hope.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,703,395 times
I sold my two good snow machines a few years ago and gave away my ice fishing machine last summer to a friend of mine who just got back from Iraq. He needed a machine for his nephew and I hadn't used the ice fishing machine in several years so I decided they could use it more than I could. The kid was thrilled and has gotten a lot of use out of it already this winter. Plus it was just too small to haul my fat a$$ around.
I guess I miss having one more than I thought I would. We've always had two or three of them knocking around in one form or another and this is the first time I haven't had one in probably 30 years.
I'd go out and buy another one tomorrow if we didn't have a big wedding to pay for next summer...Oh well maybe next year.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

10,263 posts, read 5,614,175 times
How expensive is propane up there? I have two seven gallon tanks, (for a travel trailer), and when it got cold here, (by FL standards....nothing like what you have), I turned on the heat to 62. Because it was only in the 40s, I didn't need it on all the time but it only lasted a week. Each tank costs $27, roughly, to fill.

If I were to have to use propane for the better part of the day with negative temperatures, we're looking at about $50-80 a day.

Is propane that much up there and is it really more expensive to use electricity? Would it cost more than $50-80 a day?!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,703,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
How expensive is propane up there? I have two seven gallon tanks, (for a travel trailer), and when it got cold here, (by FL standards....nothing like what you have), I turned on the heat to 62. Because it was only in the 40s, I didn't need it on all the time but it only lasted a week. Each tank costs $27, roughly, to fill.

If I were to have to use propane for the better part of the day with negative temperatures, we're looking at about $50-80 a day.

Is propane that much up there and is it really more expensive to use electricity? Would it cost more than $50-80 a day?!
I'd get another heat source! $50.00 a day is $1500 a month! With oil at 3.09 (today's cash price) you could burn a whole tank of oil in one month and only pay $849.00
A bargain compared to $50.00 a day! Electricity is high but not $50.00 a day!!
Travel trailers are not well insulated and not made for winter use. All of your heat just goes right through the walls to the outside.
The heater you have is just to help with cold damp days and not as a primary heat source. You could not live in a travel trailer in Maine in the winter unless you ran a kerosene heater around the clock. I know people who try but they end up in a motel every time it gets this cold as the travel trailer just won't hold the heat. You may as well try living in a ice fishing shack.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 AM

5,669 posts, read 7,775,347 times
I paid $2.379 last week. We have a propane furnace for backup heat if I am away from home for more than six hours when the temps are as low as they have been recently. Our primary heat source is a wood stove. We have an on-demand hot water heater and propane stove/oven that are used daily. My bill for two months and a week was $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post

Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM

10,263 posts, read 5,614,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'd get another heat source! $50.00 a day is $1500 a month! With oil at 3.09 (today's cash price) you could burn a whole tank of oil in one month and only pay $849.00
A bargain compared to $50.00 a day! Electricity is high but not $50.00 a day!!
Travel trailers are not well insulated and not made for winter use. All of your heat just goes right through the walls to the outside.
The heater you have is just to help with cold damp days and not as a primary heat source. You could not live in a travel trailer in Maine in the winter unless you ran a kerosene heater around the clock. I know people who try but they end up in a motel every time it gets this cold as the travel trailer just won't hold the heat. You may as well try living in a ice fishing shack.
I wouldn't live in a travel trailer up there, was just trying to get some idea of a comparison with price for heating; propane vs oil vs pellets vs electricity.... Of course, there would be a difference as you're right, trailers are not well insulated.

Every bill will be different and every winter won't be the same but I'm trying to get some kind of average or ball park figure based on the type of heating people use.

Luckily for me, it doesn't get that cold in FL that often so when I'm in the travel trailer, using up a tank or two once or twice a year doesn't seem too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I paid $2.379 last week. We have a propane furnace for backup heat if I am away from home for more than six hours when the temps are as low as they have been recently. Our primary heat source is a wood stove. We have an on-demand hot water heater and propane stove/oven that are used daily. My bill for two months and a week was $200.
That's a great price and very reasonable. I don't even think my heating bills were that low when I lived in Seattle.

When looking around at real estate, to get ideas, I've seen "forced heat" and "on demand" and I'm afraid I do not know what those mean. Will you please explain? I'm sure it's something simple, just never heard the terminology before.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM

424 posts, read 335,379 times
It was -21F Sunday night in Littleton and stayed below 0 all day Monday. My road is one of those Ridge roads if that means anything to the locals and my house sits right in the middle of many acres of potato/grain fields belonging to either me or my neighbors. This new-to-me house has an unheated, detached garage and the wind just whips SO hard between the house and the garage when I'm heading to the truck that it blows that part of the driveway clean nearly every time it's snowed this winter. The truck didn't mind the cold (no block heater yet), but the snow thrower, with it's after market, single cylinder diesel engine (hand cranked!!) had some issues. First the recoil starter just won't rewind in the cold, but I quickly learned to pour some hot water on that. Then the diesel gelled in the tank, but the addition of some house-warmed diesel took care of that. Pouring a pot of hot water over the top of the tiny diesel, over the fuel injector, got it going on the 3rd pull. Throwing the snow into that Littleton Ridge wind was fun. Luckily I have hundreds of feet downwind that's nothing but field.

I haven't had time to do any work to this 1925 house yet, though it does have some insulation in the walls and an inch of rigid foam under the newish vinyl siding. That and the fact that the 2nd floor dormer bedrooms are closed right now (until some substantial renovating makes them decent enough to actually sleep in), the oil furnace used, I'd say, about 5 to 8 gallons or so to heat the house that day. (The house is only about 1050 sq feet to begin with.)

I'm planning on insulating the basement, heavily insulating the attic (it's only got about 6 inches of very old insulation right now), putting in some kind of Finnish masonry heater, new windows, replacing about half of what's there presently, and so on... I'm planning on eventually doing without oil heat.

I lived down in south Florida one summer and to me, it's a toss up whether I enjoy Aroostook Winter or St. Lucie County summer more. (The AC went out on me in Florida one August week too.) I really can take either, and can work outside for a while in either extreme heat or cold, though it's hard to do a lot of stuff when there is a foot of snow covering up everything.

Both can be dangerous too. Up until this past Sunday, I don't think I ever experienced a 20 below temp with a strong, 20 to 30 mph wind. I was there alone and made darn sure I didn't accidentally lock myself out of the house or car as I was moving stuff between the two. (Sometimes I was just in house clothes - no jacket 'Probably a bad habit in that cold.) Otherwise, I'd be running for the neighbors' houses pretty fast.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM

273 posts, read 184,868 times
I should have clarified my previous post..... Its normally not 57 in here, I just keep the OIL heat set right there. We normally try to keep it in the lower to mid 60's with the rinnai, but sometimes we won't be home or sleeping or whatever and the oil heat will kick in.

We also use a heated mattress pad to warm up the bed before we get in it. My parents were from the upper midwest and this was something I learned from them, some people have issues with electric blankets, but I don't worry.... I just don't leave it plugged in when we go out of town.

As the winter moves on, I'm learning more and more about the internals of a snowblower, lol. Last storm the auger belt snapped, after spending a few hours searching the internet and messing with blower I finally figured out what was wrong. Was very easy to dissemble, but wow what a pain getting it back together, although now i know when seperating the auger and impeller from the main part of unit, ONLY loosen the lower nuts, don't take it all the way apart.

Hoping it cooperates today, supposed to have 3-5 by the end of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine