Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,515,460 times

Advertisements

Many now are using wood pellet stoves. No cutting involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,021,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I believe the ideas put forth here have reinforced my desire to live in Maine. Although it's been since the 70's since I have spent significant time there in the cold months, I come from Maine stock and believe it's in my DNA. I am fortunate as I have resources to sustain my wife and I. She is a New Zealander and the folks in Maine remind her of her countrymen. We plan to still spend some time in North Carolina and New Zealand and elsewhere but Maine will be home. That being said, many things discussed here have caused me to really think through alot of the pre-concieved notions I had prior to belonging to this forum. Among them: I am seriously going to have to think of maximizing resources in the way of heating any home I purchase/build. I would like to utilize wood, but as my age increases, how realistic is this if I am unable to cut wood myself? As our age advances, I am going to have to think of the proximity of healthcare facilities,as I am diabetic this is a concern even though I manage it quited well. Stay away from windmill farms, they are unsightly and make alot of noise. As I participate on several online forums on antique machinery (Chevy trucks, Indian motorcycles) and Red Sox baseball-I must say folks are much more civil here in their discourse. Thank you for humoring me, some of you have invited me to your homes for a visit and don't be suprised if I actually turn up!
If you're going to cut wood on your own land, all things being equal, start by harvesting the wood furthest from your house.

That way as you get older you'll have a shorter distance to tote the wood back to the house.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM

37,222 posts, read 60,940,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
If you're going to cut wood on your own land, all things being equal, start by harvesting the wood furthest from your house.

That way as you get older you'll have a shorter distance to tote the wood back to the house.
LOL

Cute. Actually if you interested in being more sustainable, it may be of benefit to look into 'coppicing' their woodlot.

It may increase the yield.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

846 posts, read 1,010,056 times
I'm not sure which would be heavier, a 40 lb bag of pellets, or an armload of firewood? I am familiar with woodlot management, and have been using a chain saw for most of my life. I actually have 3 Huskie's. I have been looking at these stoves that burn several types of fuel, wood, pellets , corn cobs and the like. I have an old Farmall tractor that's coming north with me, and a wood splitter.

My wife and I love to work outdoors together, and we 'pretty much got our heads around the fact we will be cutting and stacking wood 1-2 days a week in the warmer months. I will most likely be paying cash for any home I buy, and will completly make it winter tight if it isn't already so. I am under no illusions that my life will be changing. I (we) are looking forward to the challenge.

The area we live in is no longer country. It was 35 years ago. It is becoming more urban by the day. Thank God for the mortgage crisis as they had just clearcut 50 acres behind us to build "McMasions" on. In the summer we can hear gunshots from gang violence not to far away. This is not the way we wish to live. We have worked hard and always done the right thing (well most of the time anyway!).

We want to live out our lives in peace. If it is a little cold, so be it. My wife works at least one week out of the month in Phoenix, Az. They would love for her to move there and work in the office there all the time. If we wanted warm, that would be the place. We have no desire to get involved in that mess.

I am appreciative of the honesty and frankness of the folks on this forum. There is no need to "candy coat" what will be present in Maine. I cannot tell you how much your guidance has impacted my thinking process and shaped my thought process. I look forward to joining you, and the others who are in the same process I (we) am/are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine