Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM

177 posts, read 410,412 times

Advertisements

So i had big plans to surprise my wife with a Caribbean vacation next December to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Unfortunately, taxes were a little more than I thought they would be and that kind of luxurious getaway is out of the question now.

So my question is - because i'm not terribly familiar with New England, where is a great spot within a reasonable drive from Scarborough, where we can rent a cottage/cabin/house/condo/whatever for a week and enjoy some time away from everything. This will be during the month of December 2012. We do enjoy snowshoeing, skiing, and ice skating. I had thoughts of Nova Scotia, but I don't know anything about it.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:43 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Bethel Maine may be what you are looking for. The ski area there is great and also there are condos you can rent. If you stay in the main lodge there is a pool - not sure it is heated in the winter but the pool at the Bethel Inn is heated. You may already be familiar with Sunday River Ski Area.

Nova Scotia is a bit of a drive from Southern Maine as there is no ferry from Bar Harbor anymore. You would have to drive to St. John New Brunswick and take the ferry from there to Digby, NS.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 01-27-2012 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-27-2012, 11:48 AM

177 posts, read 410,412 times
Thanks for the idea. I've been through Bethel many times on our way to/from Sunday River. I wouldn't mind getting even further out of the area, though. A 6-7 hour drive is about the maximum for us. thanks again.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM

48 posts, read 123,748 times
What about Quebec City or Montreal? I've never been to either, but I know they both have a lot of stuff going on in the winter, and are an easy day's drive from Scarborough. I've also heard that Montreal is very romantic <3

Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quebec is awesome. How about going on vacationrentals.com or something like that and find a cabin for a week up north? It's so pretty around the Rangeley and Greenville area.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 PM

414 posts, read 303,067 times
We spent a week in North Conway, NH last year. Tons of stuff to do, a few good places to eat. Overall, a real nice place. If you want to do something special for your anniv., I would recommend Bretton Woods, unreal scenery and really cool hotel. New Hampshire Resorts | Omni Mount Washington Resort, Bretton Woods, NH
If you want to rent a cabin/chalet, use HomeAway Vacation Rentals: Beach Houses, Condos, Cabins, Villas & Vacation Rental Homes.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times
Nova Scotia is at least an 8 hour drive (just to get to the border of the province). For skiing especially I would stay in New England or go north to Quebec. Montreal is very large and cosmopolitan and probably not the place I'd go to "get away from it all," although Mont-Tremblant might be worth considering (or anywhere between here and Montreal). However, Quebec City is absolutely stunning in every way; a beautiful city and a true escape that makes you feel more like you're in France than just a few hours away from Maine. There's tons of pristine natural land north of the city; you might be able to find a place near Beaupré.

If you'd rather stay in the US but don't want to stay as close to home as Bethel or North Conway, maybe Stowe or Burlington VT? Or Lake Placid in NY?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Rangeley Lakes and Saddleback Mountain are also a great get - a - way. Very pretty area with many winter activities including downhill skiing and snowboarding. The dining room at the Rangeley in used to be great too. haven't been there in a while so I am not sure how it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine