U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,674,271 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else watch?

Loved the beginning of the show. The two families and their children harvesting blueberries. Those children - especially that little tiny blond baby - were just precious!!! The kids seemed just wonderful and happy.

But then they got to the house to bake the pies. OMG! The two bickering old ladies irritated me so bad I had to change the channel. You'd think they were eight years old.

It did make me crave blueberries though..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM

2,490 posts, read 3,082,312 times
Raking berries is hard, but not necessarily dirty. Porta potty cleaner is dirty.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,118,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Raking berries is hard, but not necessarily dirty. Porta potty cleaner is dirty.
Sounds like they're running out of jobs that are actually dirty.

On the other hand, I would not be surprised if some of America's young adults who never ventured outside a big city, would regard walking on dirt and sticking your hands in bushes as one of the ickiest things imaginable.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:57 PM

610 posts, read 593,460 times
You can't call yourself a true Mainer if you never spent a couple seasons raking blueberrys for Wyman, Allens or one of the subs. Hard work, but good pay if you got the pick of the ricks and kept moving.

You ever seen a porta potty at a blueberry raking operation? Now THAT's nasty.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM

4,916 posts, read 7,510,541 times
That was a fun episode! The blueberry farm featured on the show is in Lincolnville, one town up from where we live. I saw the taller blueberry farmer at the Camden Hannaford the other day. I recognized him right away because he was always smiling, just like on the show.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM

321 posts, read 227,869 times
Oh please, since when is raking blueberries in ME a dirty job? Try strawberry picking in the Californian central valley...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,674,271 times
LOL. Well, they did find deer crap in with the blueberries. *gasp* ROFL. Amazing how some people are freaked by truly nothing.

The blueberry raking, while I'm sure it's exhausting work and painful on the back, did seem quite relaxing to me. Just the peace and quiet and the gorgeous land. But I guess that's just me.

So am I the only grumpy old fart that was irritated by the old ladies? Maybe I didn't give it enough time and turned the channel too soon.......

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
LOL. Well, they did find deer crap in with the blueberries. *gasp* ROFL. Amazing how some people are freaked by truly nothing.

The blueberry raking, while I'm sure it's exhausting work and painful on the back, did seem quite relaxing to me. Just the peace and quiet and the gorgeous land. But I guess that's just me.

So am I the only grumpy old fart that was irritated by the old ladies? Maybe I didn't give it enough time and turned the channel too soon.......
Better wash those berries. Deer crap is the number one cause of ecoli bacteria in orchards. That's why they tell you to never use dropped apples for cider production.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:43 PM

161 posts, read 165,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
You can't call yourself a true Mainer if you never spent a couple seasons raking blueberrys for Wyman, Allens or one of the subs. Hard work, but good pay if you got the pick of the ricks and kept moving.

You ever seen a porta potty at a blueberry raking operation? Now THAT's nasty.
Just some perspective from another old fart. I can remember the summer of 1961 like it was yesterday. During blueberry season, I would get up before five a.m. to do my 55 customer paper route for the BDN. It included riding my bike over 5 miles in a rural area and walking the in town portion of it. I'd get home by six fifteen, fix my own breakfast and grab the lunch my mom made the night before. Got on my bike again to be at Edwin Hill's farm at quarter to seven. Rode with the other rakers in the back of an old stake truck out to the fields in Jonesboro where we worked till 4 p.m.

I guess this was "diversity training" back then. I worked alongside other kids from school, adults who did not have a steady job, housewives and migrant workers (mostly Micmacs). We all got along fine.

After getting home, I'd grab a bite to eat and head out to mow lawns till dark. We got $2.00/bushel and furnished our own rake and half bushel basket. I'll never forget my first paycheck for $55.00. Adding in the paper money & grass cutting I realized a gross income of over $80 per week! I think min. wage was $1.05 per hr. back then, so I thought I was pretty special eaning more than some adults for a few weeks.

The whole point of my "reflection" is not to brag that I was unusual. Many of the kids I grew up with were the same. No one had to force us to want to be ambitious. It came naturally because we observed others doing it and the benefits of hard work were obvious. I guess you'd call it capitalism.

Incidentally, I don't recall any porta potties back then. You just went off away from the crowd. Never thought of alot of what we did as "dirty jobs".

Old 02-11-2011, 06:01 AM

2,922 posts, read 3,218,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
Just some perspective from another old fart. I can remember the summer of 1961 like it was yesterday. During blueberry season, I would get up before five a.m. to do my 55 customer paper route for the BDN. It included riding my bike over 5 miles in a rural area and walking the in town portion of it. I'd get home by six fifteen, fix my own breakfast and grab the lunch my mom made the night before. Got on my bike again to be at Edwin Hill's farm at quarter to seven. Rode with the other rakers in the back of an old stake truck out to the fields in Jonesboro where we worked till 4 p.m.

I guess this was "diversity training" back then. I worked alongside other kids from school, adults who did not have a steady job, housewives and migrant workers (mostly Micmacs). We all got along fine.

After getting home, I'd grab a bite to eat and head out to mow lawns till dark. We got $2.00/bushel and furnished our own rake and half bushel basket. I'll never forget my first paycheck for $55.00. Adding in the paper money & grass cutting I realized a gross income of over $80 per week! I think min. wage was $1.05 per hr. back then, so I thought I was pretty special eaning more than some adults for a few weeks.

The whole point of my "reflection" is not to brag that I was unusual. Many of the kids I grew up with were the same. No one had to force us to want to be ambitious. It came naturally because we observed others doing it and the benefits of hard work were obvious. I guess you'd call it capitalism.

Incidentally, I don't recall any porta potties back then. You just went off away from the crowd. Never thought of alot of what we did as "dirty jobs".
With the exception of the paper route, it sounds like what I did one summer in the early '70s. I was always amazed at how hot it got up Cooper compared to Eastport. That and a sore back every afternoon were reasoon enough to take the easy way out and work at the sardine factory the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine