Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:34 AM

400 posts, read 794,850 times

Advertisements

I used MySpace recently to find out some things about Eastport and the people who have responded have been great.

My wife and I have been exploring the possibility of moving to Maine for about a year now and saw some houses in Eastport that seemed a perfect fit for us. My wife spent some time on here getting info and making friends, but work has kept her away.

I spend more time on MySpace, but hadn't really thought of it as a place to research a move. Then I got a friend request from Alan Salleroli, who, with his wife, owns the Rose Garden. His profile touted Eastport as a wonderful place to live so I contacted him with some questions. After a couple of messages with Alan and speaking on the phone with him, we booked a week in July (no, not the 4th - we couldn't get a place to stay).

In preparation for our vacation I searched MySpace for Eastport residents and came up with quite a few. I sent out a message to almost everyone who came up and the response has been amazing, both from natives and those "from away". I've gotten all the info I asked for and then some. Almost everyone I've corresponded with has invited us to stop by when we get there.

We're gonna be there from July 12th to the 19th and are champing at the bit for our vacation to begin. If half the people up there are as friendly as they've been on MySpace and here we're gonna fall in love with the place.

BTW - If anyone who I contacted posts here, too, thanks for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Several of us on this forum live in Eastport, myself included. Linda and Al are great people and well known in town. Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome. After messaging with so many people and staring at the map (I'm an old cartographer) I feel like I already know the place - and we've never been there. When we get up there and get a feel for the place we may start to seriously look to move. I just hope everything falls into place - our situation here, the houses available, and the general look and tenor of the town.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:57 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Welcome to the forum Dano! I'm glad you got such wonderful responses, but have to admit, I'm not really surprised I think you'll find that Eastport is how you expect it to be! Keep in touch too! Maybe we can plan a get together while you're there I grew up in Eastport, and live in Calais now....but also have a house in Eastport. Take care and good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Thanks, Molly. We wanna check out the Calais area while we're up there and maybe trek over to St Stephen, too (we got our passports just in case). We both wish that we could leave today, but I guess we're just gonna have to wait .

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 AM

If you have any questions, please ask - I'm sitting here on Boynton St. looking out at the rain and fog today. I'll be heading over to a friends house on Prince Ave in a little while but I'll try to help you anyway I can.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:29 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano19606 View Post
Thanks for the welcome. After messaging with so many people and staring at the map (I'm an old cartographer) I feel like I already know the place - and we've never been there. When we get up there and get a feel for the place we may start to seriously look to move. I just hope everything falls into place - our situation here, the houses available, and the general look and tenor of the town.
I too wanted to welcome you.
I'm here as well. I live closer to Molly and there are choices around the area... but it always depends on what your looking for.
Good luck, and like Corgis said, if help on questions for the area is what you need, we will try to help.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Welcome! A few of us had lunch in Eastport yesterday. You'll love it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the welcome Peachie and Maine Writer. I do have a couple of questions - we got a few listings from a Due East realtor and were wondering about the streets. Disireable? Water view? Walking distance to downtown (bear in mind that I'm old and decrepit)?
Key Street
Shackford Street
Mitchell Street
Woodman Place
Washington Street
Madison Street
Water Street

Fomr looking at the map I get a pretty good idea of where they are, but I just wanted some general impressions of those who know them. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:50 AM

The house on Woodman has been on the market for close to 2 years.
Key St is a very nice area, it's a street away from me and there are several nice houses for sale there.
Mitchell St is on a fairly steep hill, it's a good walk from downtown
Shackford St is close to the Library and town
Washington St is the main throughfare to get downtown, there are a couple of nice houses for sale, but it can be a long walk downtown depending on what part of Washington you pick.
Madison St - I can't remember where that is - Molly?
Water St is where downtown is located but it goes for a good distance away from town and could be a long walk again depending on where the house is.

Hope that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine