Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
People are going to have to stop objecting to ...
No, people really do not 'have to' do anything.

It would also be nice if people stopped voting for every increase in taxes that gets put on a ballot; but they seem to want higher taxes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
I declare this thread officially highjacked!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
No, people really do not 'have to' do anything.

It would also be nice if people stopped voting for every increase in taxes that gets put on a ballot; but they seem to want higher taxes anyway.
They think BOND initiatives are a gift from heaven.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
The problem is people look at what the bond is for and think... "well thats a good thing, we need that"

But they dont realize they have already giving the state enough money and the state (our elected officials) are not spending it wisely and are choosing to spend it elswhere..

I would like to see the state pay for its roads and bridges and all that essential stuff...

AND then see how a bond for wefalre and medicaid would go over....

Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
If I had the choice of natural gas, I think I'd take it. The price isn't as sensitive to international events as oil is, and it's a much cleaner-burning fuel, which should lower maintenance costs for the furnace.

My problem is that I have a nearly new oil furnace. Does anyone know if the furnace innards can be switched to natgas, or would I need a whole new furnace?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
If I had the choice of natural gas, I think I'd take it. The price isn't as sensitive to international events as oil is, and it's a much cleaner-burning fuel, which should lower maintenance costs for the furnace.

My problem is that I have a nearly new oil furnace. Does anyone know if the furnace innards can be switched to natgas, or would I need a whole new furnace?
For most furnaces it is the jet or burner that determines fuel.

It can be swapped out for a different one.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Sounds great but still a few more questions need answering

What size houses are we talking about (comparable?)

what type of heating systems?

Was that the amount of oil "used"?

Can i assume your living in the west va house and are also using hot water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I don't think you can make a comparison with the above numbers. N. gas prices may be different in WV versus ME. Climates are different (although you are keeping the houses at a similar temperature, it will take more energy to keep a house in the mid 60s in ME than it would WV). On top of that, you are taking about different units of measurement between N. gas and oil (MCF vs. gallons), plus there are different heating efficiencies to content with.

What the OP needs to do is compare the price of natural gas to oil on a same-unit basis (i.e. BTUs).

that being said, I believe you are correct that Natural gas is a bit more economical, at least from my reading.
It is a fair comparison. One house is ~1800 Sq ft with part of the house closed off. The other is ~1400 Sq ft. The house in Maine has water heated in the boiler (by oil). The WV house has a NG water heater. Both are using the same fuel that provides household heat. When you compare, you can compare dollars and be reasonable. Obviously, you can't compare an MCF of NG to a gallon of fuel oil. You compare therms (or BTU).

Unless you have checked the data, don't assume that the climate at our house in Maine is so radically different from that at our house in WV. They are not. In WV, many people have a poor concept of the climate in Maine, and in Maine, few people understand the weather patterns that exist in WV.

The bottom line is that natural gas is the preferred heating fuel, if it is available. It will be cheaper that fuel oil and electricity.

One other point is that you can more easily afford to buy up to a more efficient system with a natural gas furnace, which will lower the installation cost since the air intake and the exhaust can be made of PVC pipe and routed out side of a cellar wall instead of having to install a triple wall vent pipe to extend above the roof line.

Last edited by mensaguy; 03-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: What edit? Nobdy saw anything.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Unless you have checked the data, don't assume that the climate at our house in Maine is so radically different from that at our house in WV. They are not. In WV, many people have a poor concept of the climate in Maine, and in Maine, few people understand the weather patterns that exist in WV..
I would not. However I find the people generally grossly underestimate a Maine winter. Where I am from just a few hrs south of here had more snow than me this year as many of the nor eaters went out to sea early.. however in speaking with my aunt thismorning their snow is almost all gone.. I have a solid 3 feet in my yard (knocked down from 4 two days ago) but guaranteed

Quote:
The bottom line is that natural gas is the preferred heating fuel, if it is available. It will be cheaper that fuel oil and electricity..
I would agree with you that that is it the case right now... however that is far from the norm.. Gas is available throughout the northeast in most major cities and small cities yet oil has been the preferred heating source mainly because of cost. When I put my oil system in 7 years ago My heating costs dropped more than 30%...dollars to dollars for the same building and even when oil went up to over $2 bucks I still wasnt losing any money...

Quote:
One other point is that you can more easily afford to buy up to a more efficient system with a natural gas furnace, which will lower the installation cost since the air intake and the exhaust can be made of PVC pipe and routed out side of a cellar wall instead of having to install a triple wall vent pipe to extend above the roof line.

I hope this is the case. The gas company will run gas into my building and give me as many meters as I want for free. My next step is to have someone come out and look at replacing my system..

Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,351 times
While oil is far more efficient...most people dont even know the truth of how much more.
Aside from the cost to BTU, the rebound rate for oil is 20% higher than for any Gas.

In the end....Oil is generally 40% more efficient when the two fuels are the same cost.
Which makes me laugh when people like Obama decide that Gas is the future.

But I digress....

What is of the highest importance is the heating system design.

Oil gets the full 40% when used in a hydronic system but only gets 15% better fuel economy when used in forced air applications.
(the one exception is Hydro air)

Old 03-12-2011, 07:04 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR62 View Post
While oil is far more efficient...most people dont even know the truth of how much more.
Wrong. Oil has a higher BTU per gallon than gas, but it is NOT more efficient to heat a house with over Natural Gas. The cost per BTU is WAY higher for #2 Fuel Oil than NG.

100,000BTU of NG costs me less than 63 CENTS for the gas alone, and only 93 CENTS when all taxes, delivery, gas, and other charges are added in ( I say less than because, 1 CCF of NG runs 63 cents and there is 103,000 BTU per CCF on average). At an average of 139,000 BTU per gallon for Fuel Oil I would LOVE for you to give the place where somebody can buy a gallon of #2 Fuel Oil for 86 CENTS a gallon for the fuel alone or $1.16 a gallon with all other charges included, which are the prices it would take to equal the cost per BTU of NG. When you look at the difference in the efficiencies of the average NG and oil furnaces the gap widens even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine