Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 19,518 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am from IL. I have a two year old daughter and am getting married soon (I know I did it backwards but she was a God send). I am looking to get into the National Park Service and my fiance is a mechanic. We are looking to move to a small community. Some things we are wanting in the new place are:

1. supportive community
2. place to teach child good morals (still seeking own religion, know what I want and believe but have not found the religion for me yet)
3. place with low crime rates and great education system
4. I cannot handle a lot of rain, occasional is fine. I need sunshine but like the cold as long as it is not year round. I have to have trees and mountains (they make my depression disappear)
5. A place with plenty of recreational opportunities (fly fishing, camping, hiking, rock climbing, etc.)
6. place has to have some daycare or babysitters, they do not have to be licensed but someone i can meet and get to know before leaving my daughter with them

Also if you name a place and know of any places hiring, please let me know...we are wanting to find jobs and house before moving. We plan to move in 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Take Care All!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:41 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,562,483 times
Are you sure you want to live in Maine or will North Carolina, Colorado, or Wyoming be OK too? Fishing expedition. Save your time folks.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM

I am not sure, I am looking into them all. Although I believe Maine or Colorado would be good. Just do not know where the best spot to settle down would be. Not trying to waste anyones time, just trying to figure things out and where a good place would be...I did not mean to offend you or anyone, there is no need to be rude.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,373,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmama View Post
Hey all!

I am from IL. I have a two year old daughter and am getting married soon (I know I did it backwards but she was a God send). I am looking to get into the National Park Service and my fiance is a mechanic. We are looking to move to a small community. Some things we are wanting in the new place are:

1. supportive community
2. place to teach child good morals (still seeking own religion, know what I want and believe but have not found the religion for me yet)
3. place with low crime rates and great education system
4. I cannot handle a lot of rain, occasional is fine. I need sunshine but like the cold as long as it is not year round. I have to have trees and mountains (they make my depression disappear)
5. A place with plenty of recreational opportunities (fly fishing, camping, hiking, rock climbing, etc.)
6. place has to have some daycare or babysitters, they do not have to be licensed but someone i can meet and get to know before leaving my daughter with them

Also if you name a place and know of any places hiring, please let me know...we are wanting to find jobs and house before moving. We plan to move in 2 or 3 months.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it! Take Care All!
Everything you want on your list is fine except the rain and job part. Mother Nature may just decide to put some rain in Maine for an entire summer. You might have to decide to like rain, despite its wetness.

Your job thing is the biggest hurdle. Get one of those and then find a place to live as close to it as you can.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
Id check the bethel area, for outdoor recreation, and mountains, a nice town!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,036,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
...Your job thing is the biggest hurdle. Get one of those and then find a place to live as close to it as you can.
That's what I'm thinking too.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,191,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Id check the bethel area, for outdoor recreation, and mountains, a nice town!
Does the park service operate the white mountins forest? otherwise it would be a long commute to a park.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,562,483 times
Not trying to be rude though I think it is a bit much to blast out the exact same question to several forum groups at the same time and expect us to give you a long detailed answer when you are not dedicated to Maine as a destination.. We have a very good reputation on this forum for being extremely helpful to people who show a genuine interest in settling in Maine. If you send the same message to many other groups you are on a fishing mission and it's meaningless and a waste of our time to engage you. If you really have a desire to come to Maine do some research yourself, then if you have legitimate specific questions we'll be glad to help you. Don't speak in generalities and have at least a slight background before asking us to guide you. It's not too much to ask. If you find that rude so be it.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM

I do not find that to be rude. Thank you for explaining it in more detail. I am new to this site so I am still learning. I understand where you are coming from. I do need to do more research. Thank you for opening up my mind, I apologize for the inconvience. However, I really am interested in Maine. I have been to Acadia National Park and it is why I am interested. I do not have the money to explore the state on vacation though so that is why I am seeking advice from real people rather and websites trying to fancy up their towns and bring in business. I should probably delete the posts huh? I will do my homework first...

And I do appreciate the advice I have recieved so far!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,302,479 times
Unless you have a very specific skill, the park service is cutting back on employment everywhere. And it sounds like you might be looking for an entry level position. I can tell you honestly that few places in Maine will even respond to you unless you are on site. Its unlikely that you can find a park service job in Acadia while applying from IL.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-08-2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: