Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 PM

37 posts, read 82,145 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I’m a single early 30s male who may be moving to the Caribou region soon due to a job I may get. Does anyone have any words of advice? I’ve been reading some of the related posts on this forum and I know the region is pretty isolated. This will be a big change after being in a big city most of my adult life. One question I have is whether you would recommend Caribou or Presque Isle to live in? The job, if I get it, is in Caribou but it looks like there may be more options to rent in Presque Isle. Presque Isle also looks like it’s slightly bigger and has a bit more going on there. On the other hand, I know a 20 minute commute in the dead of winter may be a bit rough….

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,854,287 times
You wouldn't have wanted to make that drive yesterday.....lol. BIG storm! And that road can get rough.
I am born and raised in PI, lived there most of my life. We now live in Caribou and much prefer it, for a variety of reasons. I don't see much difference in the rental situation. Presque Isle does have more stores, but if we really need something we can't find in Caribou, we just make a trip over. That rarely happens.
Honest opinion: Presque Isle is going to hell, sad to say. It looks really slummy in several parts of town, unlike Caribou. PI has started to have ugly sprawl, which I don't like. Caribou has none. Caribou is quainter and has more of a community feeling to it. It's retained its character. Presque Isle also has been beset by government clown shows in recent years.
Hope that helps!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks! this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You wouldn't have wanted to make that drive yesterday.....lol. BIG storm! And that road can get rough.
I am born and raised in PI, lived there most of my life. We now live in Caribou and much prefer it, for a variety of reasons. I don't see much difference in the rental situation. Presque Isle does have more stores, but if we really need something we can't find in Caribou, we just make a trip over. That rarely happens.
Honest opinion: Presque Isle is going to hell, sad to say. It looks really slummy in several parts of town, unlike Caribou. PI has started to have ugly sprawl, which I don't like. Caribou has none. Caribou is quainter and has more of a community feeling to it. It's retained its character. Presque Isle also has been beset by government clown shows in recent years.
Hope that helps!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 PM

973 posts, read 2,365,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Hope that helps!
I'd have to say my opinion of PI differs from yours. I think Caribou might be more suitable to a family life, but a single moving to the area, PI would be way less of a cultural shock. Box stores that move to the County are locating in PI, if that makes it lower on the slum index, so be it. Middle America anywhere has that picture. I live in Houlton, and would choose PI way before Caribou to move to...but actually I'm staying in Houlton...but do want to balance your slam on PI....I disagree and if I were to dis one of the two, it would not be PI. The college town wins this one in my eyes.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:59 PM

Hey, I welcome the response! I have "Wildcat blue" in my veins still..........I've always been a booster of the town my family has lived in for almost 100 years. I do still like some things about it, don't get me wrong. I'm not even a "mall hater".........I always thought it was good to have one around. BUT they have gone on this tear-down spree in recent years, for no good reason it seems. And when I say "slummy", I don't mean the mall area or the sprawl..........I mean at least four or five really SLUMMY parts of town, that look like hell.
As far as culture, there's not much difference. UMPI does have some events. But Caribou has CPAC (the biggest performing arts venue in the area). PI has a few more bars, I guess.
Caribou has far more attraction to us.
Houlton is pretty awesome, too!

Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM

503 posts, read 1,019,589 times
I drive from the Loring Commerce Center tp PI every day for work, haven't missed a day of work this winter. As long as you take your time and know your limits in driving the drive isn't that bad.

here's a website that has some webcams setup in PI, Caribou and a few areas inbetween . . . http://www.crownofmaine.com/

Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks for your responses! they are much appreciated. It's pretty definate now that I have this job. The other factor that will help me decide is appartments. Does anyone know any good places to rent in either city? This will be tough since I'll probably have to set something up before even arriving there..

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM

If you know what you're looking for I'd be happy to look in the newspaper and give you the phone numbers, or drive by any places you think might fit. I know some of the area landlords too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: