Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,037,446 times

Advertisements

Naw.... be honest NMLM! You saw that on an episode of Red Green!

The thing about those little "bump" signs are there aren't enough to go around.... only the craters are marked. We saw one near Winn this weekend, not a small dangly sign, but a large, regular size construction "BUMP" sign. It was marking what once was a small bridge section over a stream, it was about 15-20 feet long, and the entire width of the road. It had been filled in well enough that compared to everything else that particular sign seemed a little much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,192,498 times
Back in the sixties, the local paster had his wife's 90 odd year old father living with them. The road crew had put a bump sign out along the road in front of their house. The old man saw the sign, but he only got to see the bum part. he asked what those young people had against him.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM

I can see that happening!

us old people needing glasses and all....

Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,427,837 times
Default Crater report - Portland

We hit one the other day that was on the beginning of the 295 NB on ramp, coming from State St. I found long lost relatives in there.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:35 PM

4 posts, read 5,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Some potholes defy description like the one that opened up again today on I-95 in Augusta. They patched it earlier this week, but it collapsed again today. The Portland paper reported:
"Multiple vehicles were involved in an accident when a gigantic pothole opened in a southbound lane of Interstate 95 this afternoon. No one was seriously hurt.

-snip- Police said one person was taken to hospital with minor injuries, but at least five vehicles were damaged including a sport utility vehicle that overturned. Two other vehicles collided.

The pothole, which opened up under the Old Winthrop Road overpass sometime around 2:30 p.m., was about 15 feet long, 2 feet wide and 8 inches deep, according to police."

They patched it again.

There is a frost heave that occurs every spring on Route 6 near East Musquash Lake. Actually it's two frost heaves close together. Just as your suspension bottoms out from the first one, the second one launches you into suborbital flight. A school bus lost its rear axle on it a few years ago. There the bus sat on its rear bumper. The kids cheered the bus driver.

Last year above Augusts a state road simply collapsed into the river. You can't just remove dams without consequences. I rated that one as a crater.

Spring and high water bring unanticipated results in Maine.

Under ground parking.. and the dirt road are like peanut butter, but hey the town likes it that way. they hope to keep outsides from coming to maine

Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearmaker726 View Post
...and the dirt road are like peanut butter...
I'm usually very good with analogies, but I can't for the life of me figure this one out!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:09 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm usually very good with analogies, but I can't for the life of me figure this one out!
I'll take a stab at it-chunky peanut butter that isnt the least bit smooth

Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,793,133 times
After a tough winter potholes and frostheaves are a fact of life that should be anticipated. Some of you sound like New England newbies. Slow down and you won't have the problems with your shocks. Road crews IMHO do a great job do the best they can. Get a job with DOT and you'll see the other side of the issue.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,453,580 times
"After winter" is a New England newbie thing to say. Pot holes and frost heaves are part of winter here. We've been dealing with them since late January.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 AM

163 posts, read 293,922 times
Does anyone remember "the midnight runs"? No, not those runs! When my dad had his quarry & surface mining operations in the early sixties, this was SOP during early mud season.

As I recall, many secondary roads had a six ton limit during mud season. You had to get permission to run at night when the roadway was frozen enough to take the weight. His crusher & screening plant was as much as 30 miles from some of the mineral leases. He and his crew would drill, blast, and load the truck with rock during the day. After the nightly news, dad would get in the car with me and drive to the jobsite. He'd drive the truck back to the plant with me following in the car. As I recall, the first year I did this with him I was 14, so I don't think I had a drivers license then. Rarely did we see another car on the road at that time of night in rural Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine