Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times

Advertisements

Our dirt road is mostly clear here in southern Maine. Still 1'-3' of snow in the yard and the woods. Frost is starting to leave the ground though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM

591 posts, read 926,030 times
Its crazy, this country stops if it gets 2 inches, schools close, people dont go to work and the news is full of it.

Then you look at East/Northern American/Canada and Russia, you just get on with it, and have 3+ Feet of it throughout the whole winter. It shows what a poor country this is tbf.

The reason i want to move to Maine, a great place who get on with life and in style.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Its crazy, this country stops if it gets 2 inches, schools close, people dont go to work and the news is full of it.

Then you look at East/Northern American/Canada and Russia, you just get on with it, and have 3+ Feet of it throughout the whole winter. It shows what a poor country this is tbf.

The reason i want to move to Maine, a great place who get on with life and in style.
I wouldn't move here this year on a bet. The prices for fuel are going to slice the legs off from this state at the knees...or higher! I have already started planning to put away 1/3 more wood than I had last winter. If fuel oil hits $4.50 a gallon or more there will be people starving to heat their homes next winter. It is going to be a REAL crisis. I would not want to be moving into the middle of that hornet's nest.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
We still have a good even foot of snow in the yard, more in the woods. The driveway is clear. The path from the woodshed we keep shoveled/snowblown is clear. There were three deer in the front yard this morning.
We're planning on putting up more wood this year also. Heating oil expensive. Just sayin'......

Old 03-15-2011, 02:03 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
One of our neighbors took her horse out for a ride today. The horse got spooked by a bobcat, and threw her into a snowbank and ran down the road.

I was returning from town and saw him [the horse] in the road, so I caught him. I was talking him down and petting him [he was totally covered in lather]. I assumed that where ever he threw his rider, she would be along shortly.

Sure enough within 10-minutes she showed up [a cute lady]. She is very fortunate that there was plenty of snow on the ground to keep her from having been injured when she fell.

I was offered a barn worth of horse manure from her, this paying forward thing is great!

Last edited by Submariner; 03-15-2011 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: just glad we have snow.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:21 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
One of our neighbors took her horse out for a ride today. He got spooked by a bobcat, threw her into a snowbank and ran down the road.

I was returning from town and saw him in the road, so I caught him. I was talking him down and petting him [he was totally covered in lather]. I assumed that where ever he threw his rider, she would be along shortly.

Sure enough within 10-minutes she showed up [a cute lady]. She is very fortunate that there was plenty of snow on the ground to keep her from having been injured when she fell.

I was offered a barn worth of horse manure from her, this paying forward thing is great!

I didn't know bob cats lathered up when they ran.....what happened to the horse? I guess the payment was worth the effort!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I didn't know bob cats lathered up when they ran...
picky picky picky

Quote:
... what happened to the horse?
The babe rode her horse back to their home.

Quote:
... I guess the payment was worth the effort!!!
For some people horse manure is as good as gold.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
There's about 2 feet in front of the house where the plow pushes it up toward the sidewalk and probably a couple feet in parts of the backyard where the neighbor blows his drive way over to our back yard. But right by the back door close to the basement wall, there are some crocus and hyacinth about 2 inches up. It's been about 48 F here today so it is melting nicely.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Quote:
picky picky picky

That must be some really good s....

Old 03-15-2011, 03:47 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
picky picky picky

I can honestly say that I have never had the desire for a barn full of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine